Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: conbuilder MIA

Default conbuilder MIA

Did conbuilder ever reappear on the msts scene? If so, where is Carlos new website?

Born and raised in Brooklyn N.Y., now live in Hamilton Township, N.J., USA.

Quote Originally Posted by NSdville View Post
    Did conbuilder ever reappear on the msts scene? If so, where is Carlos new website?
    Ray, Joe Smith is handling ConBuilder now. He is dealing with some health issues, but is slowly working on catching up. Go over to Joe's CB forum and post your questions/concerns.
    Last edited by GMOF3A; 09-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Thanks in Advance! Sincerely,
    Joseph "Joe" Anthony Marchetti

Please visit my LinkedIn page at http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephamarchetti and recommend me. Suggestions welcomed!

The forum is only open to purchasers of ConBuilder.

Joe you just lost your access for posting the URL.
    Charles

NSdville,

FYI Carlos has not been involved with ConBuilder for a number of years.

The current site for ConBuilder is at http://www.conbuilder.3dtrains.com/
    However a new site is in progress as you will read when you get there. So at present it is not available to new purchasers.
    Charles

Default Conbuilder Free

This is the contents of the file Copywrite.txt distributed with conbuilder2_2_9full.zip

This software is free, please don't sell it. Copyright Carlos Gomes 2002-2004

NSdville:
    As such this means I am allowed to freely distribute it so if you want this older version (it works fine) I am allowed to send it to you.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    This is the contents of the file Copywrite.txt distributed with conbuilder2_2_9full.zip

NSdville:
    As such this means I am allowed to freely distribute it so if you want this older version (it works fine) I am allowed to send it to you.
    No Vince, It means you cannot sell it. Distribution rights were given to owners of MSTS file databases on public servers, such as TrainSim. Distribution was limited to only those to whom it was given. When ConBuilder went payware those distribution rights were withdrawn.
    Charles

Question Distributon Limitations? Where are They?

Distribution rights were given to owners of MSTS file databases on public servers, such as TrainSim. Distribution was limited to only those to whom it was given.
    Hmm. Okay Charles, please point me to the distribution text where it says that.
    Thanks.

I have all the files that were in the original distribution and I cannot find the words that limit distribution to only certain servers.

I DO see such limitations in other licence texts such as those from NALW but I cannot find them for ConBuilder.
    Example from the NALW Licence text for NECPac14.zip

License and Restrictions:
    None of our original Files, content, cabs, sounds, physics and or model(s) can be used in or on any other project without the express written permission of North American Locomotive Works.
    You may not modify or distribute any of the content herein for other than personal use with out our written permission.
    These Files may not be distributed or Re-Distributed via any other medium other than by WWW.TrainSim.com without the express written consent of North American Locomotive Works or their original authors.
    It's very clear here that distribution is limited to TrainSim.com
    There are no such restrictions for the version of ConBuilder that I am speaking of, at least that I can find.
    Can you direct me to the language in the distribution that states what you posted?
    Last edited by Vince; 09-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I would tend to agree with Vince on the distribution of older versions. This is the copyright notice in the conbuilder helpfile that I have.

Copyright
    The authors accept no responsibility for any loss or damage caused by using this software. All responsibility for its use and the consequences of using this software rest solely with the User. This software is free. That means it's not allowed to be included in any payware package. In other words, this program is to be freely shared by all Trainsimmers without having to pay any fee. (emphasis mine)
    However it would be prudent if you put the program up on your site, to send an e-mail to Us saying where it is.
    Regards,

Eric

Talking Come and Get It Boys! It's free per the Readme's

Hi Eric,

I didn't have any intention of putting the distributon on a website. But I do agree that the author MUST be notified per the text in the copywrite notice you posted. No problem with that at all. It says 'notify the author' is the only requirement, nothing about permission or other such vapor.
    I was just asking if it was okay to send the distribution and the update to the chap who couldn't find it.

I did see that .htm file you posted.
    It was distributed with versions 155 and 162 but none after that as far as I can see.

And from the readme and the licence text I have I can only conclude it's okay unless crstagg or someone else can find a licence specifically prohibiting such distribution.

The latest version I have (and I have nine versions in my bit bucket) is version 2.4.5, this is the File_ID.DIZ included in the distribution before it was pulled from the File Library.
    Why was such a useful program pulled?

File_ID.DIZ
    MSTS Utilities.
    Conbuilder V245 Full install
    Minor fixes,run installer
    Consist editor and test Program By Carlos Gomes
    Fixes,Debugging and additions by Joe Smith
    Heavy beta testing and suggestions by Charles Stagg
    Spanish testing and translation by Javier Torres
    Last update 3/21/06. No more after this.
    And the Copywrite.txt file contents included with the above distribution reads:

Bottom Line: I'm not sure I could send this version to anyone as it is an 11+ MB file. My ISP (I think) limits attachments to 10 MB. Oops!

add: your post: "it would be prudent if you put the program up on your site, to send an e-mail to Us saying where it is." from the help file gives me thought. .. . . .....
    Last edited by Vince; 09-09-2009 at 05:04 PM.

The text I posted is from the help file Conbuilder.chm. You should have a version of the file in the Conbuilder folder. You can view it by either double-clicking it or from inside the Conbuilder program.

Everything after and including the word Copyright are word for word from the file except for "(emphasis mine)". My version is 2.4.7
    Regards,

Eric