Thread: Fundamental Operational Question

Default Fundamental Operational Question

I am contemplating building a modern-era route based on a very heavily traveled subdivision of a certain well-known railroad. (Hint: See the first part of the video on my web site.) The line is mostly single track with passing sidings. The passing sidings have motorized turnouts at each end and each turnout has a trio of signals to indicate the switch conditions. Block signals are also located at various strategic points along the route between the passing sidings. In addition, the route has many industrial sidings and spurs with manual turnouts. The switchstands for these are equipped with electrical devices which I assume indicate the position of the points to a CTC operator. Most if not all of of these sidings and spurs are also provided with derails to protect the main line.

I've read a lot of posts here and elsewhere on the subject of AI trains and signaling in RailWorks, and frankly it sounds a bit scary. Nevertheless, I tried setting up a testbed just as a proof-of-concept exercise to see how things behave. Not well, I'm afraid, but much of the problems I encountered can probably be attributed to my lack of experience.

All I want to do is this: One train is approaching a passing siding from the east and another train is approaching it from the west. The superior train--whether it's the one I'm operating, or an AI train--should own the main line and the other train should be required to divert into the siding. The signals should display the proper course to each train, and the superior train should proceed through the siding unimpeded. At least I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

There are probably more complicated switching and signaling problems than this on the route, but this particular condition occurs over and over and it seems pretty fundamental.

Here's my question: Is it possible to do this in RailWorks? Any answers will be appreciated, but please keep the rhetoric and vitriol to yourself. We've read it all before and it's long since ceased to add any value to the discussion.

If it is possible to do this, a few pointers would help. I'm not looking for a detailed description of how to do it--I'd rather figure that out myself and benefit from the experience. If it's not possible, then I'll stick with modelmaking. Again, I'm just looking for confirmation that something as basic to normal railroad operation as this is possible.

Thanks!

The very first thing you need to understand is that all trains are scheduled and that is that. There is no running the track and if two trains meet up, one takes priority over another. That just isn't how the game works. The priority of the train comes into play when scheduling them, not during the running of them.

A scenario is a "play" that is staged by someone. You have to set up all the trains to run and interact. If you are good at it, you can make it appear like it is random but each time you run the play, the same acts are performed, the same lines are said.

If you can live with that, then you can create great scenarios. If you want the trains to run themselves, it just won't happen.

Pike

Default Correct but not quite set in concrete

Attached is a zipped .rwp (RailWorks installation) file that contains a very simple route with a Standard scenario. Note that in order for it to work you must have signals at the start and end of the passing siding. Its a bit fancier than you describe as I have an IA train traveling ahead of the driver. Play around with it and see what has been done to get the "conflicts" out. Particularly note that the "priority" status of the various trains. Try changing them and see the result.

I would be glad to answer your questions about it at [email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

For those who didn't download it, Jim has kindly provided a scenario that demonstrates almost exactly what I was looking for.

The track plan is a simple straight run with a passing siding about midway. The player train, a "Special," starts at one end and an "Express Passenger" AI train starts at the other end. Another AI train, a "Stopping Passenger," is running a block ahead of and in the same direction as the player train. The Stopping Passenger train enters the siding first, on the main line. It stops and waits there while the Express Passenger train approaches from the other direction. Eventually the Express Passenger train reaches the siding and diverts onto the passing track, where it comes to a halt. It has to stop here because at this point the player train is also approaching the siding. The Express Passenger train then proceeds forward. Once it has cleared the siding at the far end, the signals allow the player train to enter the siding, again on the main line. Now, the player train having cleared the near turnout, the Express Passenger train proceeds forward, returning to the main line. Everyone goes his merry way!

Very nice. The signals all display as expected and as long as the player obeys them, the action runs quite smoothly.

This is just what I needed to confirm. But as "Pike" points out, everything that happens must be carefully pre-scripted. Thanks to both of you!

Thanks to jimbf for the test route. I found it to be very informative.

Pete Bauer