Thread: Prototypical RAILROAD Operation

Default Prototypical RAILROAD Operation

The following is an excerpt from an addon for a different train simulator. I only post it here for the following reasons:

1. This is what I really wanted to do, and still do, with Rail Works.

2. This could be quite entertaining since you must manage the the railroad operations with proper scheduling based upon virtual customer orders.

3. A multiplayer possibility would be a remote driver getting in his train and following the the instructions the program laid out from your input. No more Ground Hog scenarios over and over and over.

3. Not yet fully released program/addon but maybe you could have maintenance issues or weather issues along with unforeseen delays that as Big Boss you have to react to. Lots of possibilities once the scheduling.is worked out to meet virtual customer demands.

So, follows the excerpt of a scenario that the author uses for development and debugging. He is releasing the demo and I have asked for a copy.
    ======================
    Here is a description of an operating session on my test route. I call it Austin Subdivision. It is an East-West mainline with a southern branch line that continues beyond the subdivision. It interchanges with two foreign roads. There is a small yard in Austin that is the center of operations. Some thru trains stop in Austin to drop off and/or pick up freight cars. These cars are then classified in the yard. They are then sent on their way, either in a different thru train or to one of the interchange tracks or to an industry.

The session mission is to plan and execute operations for the subdivision yard and run the local trains. As the day begins at 6:45am, there is a string of cars in the yard that need to be classified.

Classification Operations: there are five classification tracks and one stub end empty car storage track. Classification Catagories are:

Track 1 - local traffic for Austin, Maxwell and CGW interchange
    Track 2 - local traffic for Kelly, Huxley and CNW interchange
    Track 3 - eastbound thru traffic.
    Track 4 - southbound thru traffic
    Track 5 - westbound thru traffic

Watching your message board, at about 6:50am you will see that the CGW has dropped off a string of cars at the interchange on the east side of town. Retrieve these cars from the interchange and classify them also.

The first train to arrive is #101 from the west at about 7:00am. Pull all the cars from this train. Put the engine on the engine track and the caboose on the caboose track and classify the cars you have just pulled.

The second train to arrive is #401 from the South at about 7:20am. Pull from it the cars for local service. Then pull half of the westbound cars you may have from the yard, put them in this train and send it on its way West. Classify the cars from #401

Next to arrive is train #201 from the east at about 7:45am. Pull from it any local cars, and add to it the remaining westbound cars and send it on it's way west. Classify the cars from #201.

The last train to arrive for the morning is #301 from the west at about 7:10am. Pull from it any local cars and add to it all the southbound cars from the yard and send it south. Classify the cars from #301 and then remake train #101 with all the eastbound cars from the yard and send it east.

Make up the Huxley Turn using all the cars bound for Kelly and Huxley and the CNW interchange. Send the Huxley turn east to Kelly (using AI) and classify the remaining cars for the Austin Local and the Maxwell Turn.

Your first local train is the Huxley Turn to service the industries in Kelly and Huxley as well as the CNW Interchange in Huxley. Service only trailing point sidings at Kelly - which means some industries on the outbound trip and some on the inbound trip. At Huxley, deliver the livestock to the packing plant first, Then pull reefers as needed from the storage track and deliver to the ice house. Then, pull the cars from the CNW interchange. Next work the industry tracks, including any cars from the CNW. Before you leave town, deliver your CNW cars to the interchange track, pull the livestock empties from the packing plant and make up your train for departure to Kelly and Austin. Your last move at Huxley is to transfer the reefers from the ice house to the packing plant.

On your trip back to Austin, work the trailing point industries at Kelley.

Back in Austin, classify the Huxley Turn that has just arrived. Then switch the Austin industries and classify any cars brought back to the yard.

Your last run for the morning is the Maxwell Turn which includes delivering the appropriate cars to the CGW Interchange.

When you arrive back in Austin, classify the Maxwell turn.

The scenario could go on all day long, but this is over 4 hours of operations. The next time you run this session, you can choose another day of the week. Car Movements and Traffic patterns will be different.
    =======
    Regards,
    Dick

sounds a lot like Trains... the tabletop railway simulator.

I dont think that Railway Management, and Train Simulation go hand in hand really.
    Steam Nic :- ΞΕZ♠C๐צΞ Fraggle
    Project Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAdrianSW

Any minute now somebody is going to say: "why don't you carry on using that train simulator" !

I know where you are coming from.

A long time ago when there was talk of a new train simulator I said I hope that they would use the best of all the then train simulators, MSTS, TRAINZ and BVE and roll it into one, using an up-to-date graphics engine.

Well, it never happened and in this economical climate it never will.

The Flight Simulator was started as a hobby by pilots, marketed by MS and when it's popularity carried on growing was then taken in-house by MS.

It then franchised out MSTS to KUJU but the next MSTS-1.2 version was not considered good enough after it's first showing at the E3 and it and KUJU got binned.

The franchise was then offered to AURAN but they did not want to know.

So we will have to make do with what we got and me not being demanding where scenarios are concerned am quite happy with what I can achieve in Freeroam scenarios !

Track infrastructure is another ball game and do not give any quarters if it is not what it should be, Kuju found out the first time they showed us splined switches !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by adriansw View Post
    sounds a lot like Trains... the tabletop railway simulator.

I dont think that Railway Management, and Train Simulation go hand in hand really.
    I'll let you know>>>>>
    Regards,
    Dick