Thread: Adding a Cab View of engine child object.

Default Adding a Cab View of engine child object.

I was trying to run a test today following some limited instructions. I have searched and I cannot find the answer or I am not searching for the correct terms.

I have created a scenery object (light glow) and attached it to my engine as a child object. If I place the engine I can see the light glow from from all views but the cab view. I read somewhere you need to add it to the cabview blueprint. Um, there is no such named blueprint or bin file.

How do I get this external light glow to show up in the cabview?

Thanks.

Pike

Default Which engine?

Some engines alias the cabviews, for example open the Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehicles\Electric\BR101\Blu e\Engine\br101.bin file and do a search for "cabview" and you get a few hits including;

<InteriorGeometryID d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehic les\Electric\BR101\Default\CabView\[00]br101_cab</InteriorGeometryID>

So if I wanted to clone and repaint the BR101 I would need to copy the default cabview folder in, then change the internal paths to point to my cabview folder instead of the default. The br101_cab.bin in turn;

<GeometryID d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehic les\Electric\BR101\Default\CabView\[00]br101_cab</GeometryID>

Is calling for a br101_cab.GeoPcDx file, the path there also needs to be changed to point to my folder instead of default. For that particular engine, the br101_cab.bin would probably be the one to add the same datablock as you added to the external file, other engines will sometimes be different.

Grrrr! I thought the whole point (according to sly) was to add the item as a child object to the engine. This way you would not have to mess with "compiled" files.

I copied the entire folder for the engine (example) ES44AC Black. Renamed the folder Black_Lights. Then I edited the engine.bin file replacing \black\ with \black_Lights\. I put all my textures and the bin file for my new object inside this new folder where they need to be and changed the display name of the engine.

I then copied a child section of the engine.bin and pasted it back in right below changing the geometry file name and the matrix values. Everything worked great and I can see the light glow from outside the cab. I can even see it from the head out view. It just refuses to be visible from the cab view.

If I just place the light glow in the world I can see it from the cab but if I make it a child of the engine it is not visible.

I think I did everything you are suggesting. I would guess this works the same way as if you created a 3d cabview and wanted the snoot of the engine to be visible (or to have it show the correct paint color rather than the default).

Is there a blueprint file for the 3d cab or is that part of the engine blueprint file?

If they don't want us hacking compiled files then why not allow us access to the blueprint files of the items so you can learn the stuff in a way that might make sense rather than having to hack your way through XML code. You are not doing yourself any favors since most people give up and just copy and paste without changing the ID's of the items or the links they use even if they provide the associated files. Most of my downloaded ES44AC engines include the ES44AC files but the XML points to the SD40 defaults. That just doesn't make any sense to me and makes it hard as heck to easily improve existing items.

I mean it would be so much easier to load the blueprint file, add a new child item (that I created with all the necessary textures) and export it out changing the bluprint name and item name. All the links get updated and boom, done. I don't have to hack into files I don't even know exist to change file links.

Pike

Default Peek Poke Push Pop Jump

Well, lemmee see if I can clear this up;

53 6C 79 20 69 73 20 61 6E 20 69 64 69 6F 74 20 73 74 75 64 79 69 6E 67 20 74 6F 20 62 65 20 61 20 6D 6F 72 6F 6E 20 62 75 74 20 6E 6F 74 20 73 74 75 64 79 69 6E 67 20 76 65 72 79 20 68 61 72 64 2E

Computer code is compiled for faster loading and execution, has nothing to do with stopping hackers from messing with it. In fact we have a tool that allows us all to hack any code;

Altho since debug.exe hasn't changed much from the Days of DOS and Dinosaurs it won't read new filenames, so here I changed ES44AC_black.bin to black.bin to keep it within the old 8.3 DOS format limits. Unless your purpose is to steal a program and resell it, there's nothing illegal about hacking the code. Microsoft provides tools for that purpose, that evil wicked Australian's RW_Tools does not - it merely provides an interface for decompiling the code, what actually does the compiling and decompiling is serz.exe - which comes with the game.

Dick Cowen provides source files with all his models so it's possible to repaint it the way they designed it, load into the asset editor convert TGA to ACE to DDS to TgPcDx yada yada yada but I find it much easier to copy the finished files and hack them in RW_Tools to make clones. The end result is the same and it takes less time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (62.5 KB, 68 views)