Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making route backups

Default Making route backups

Following a tip from Captain Scarlet about the simplest method to back up routes, for those who aren't comfortable with copying and pasting files in Explorer or using RW_Tools:

Start the launcher, select the Packager tab, expand the route list. Find your route and put a check in the box, click the arrow set to copy it over to the processing window. Then type your name and set the license for protected or unprotected, it won't let you do the next step if those are blank. Click the Create Package;

And give it a name, you can use backup1 backup 2 etc. or use today's date as a filename. Doing more than one backup in a day, add the time, over here in central Wisconsin it's now 11:55 AM on September 19, so this would be 09191155.rwp for me.

42 viewers of this thread indicates that there is little interest in creating or working on RW routes, this nevertheless is what I think is the easiest method of creating back-ups of anything, computer dummies might find useful.

Simply COPY whatever and then PASTE it in the same folder and it will create consecutive Copy Of back-ups as shown below, this being my basic installed from RW DVD STEAM folder I use for installing updates into and can then test before committing them to my other copies or RW !

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    I think is the easiest method of creating back-ups of anything, computer dummies might find useful.

Simply COPY whatever and then PASTE it in the same folder and it will create consecutive Copy Of back-ups
    O t t o
    I much prefer to keep separate full install backups thus keeping the installed version "cleaner" and on another disk. I then just rename the backup folder to reflect the date made and a description as a reminder of what it contains.
    eg RW_Backup_ 18Sep09_after_clean install_Steamapps

John

Hi

Otto, wouldn't your recommended Copy/Paste method be better if you just did a Copy/Paste of the actual Routes directory?

Doing it this way grabs all routes AND makes the copy outside the actual Routes directory, perhaps removing any possibility of confusing TS or RW with duplicate route definition files in the "Copy of..." directories.

GaryG

Hee-hee, everyone who knows HOW has their own method, I just make a new folder with today's date and time, copy the 4ee01963-7f3d-44d8-9c0f-f9749d4eaa73 or whatever into that. About twice a week I burn selected backups onto a CD-R disk and delete the others, and of course once I get a version debugged and uploaded to the file library I usually delete all the old backups of that. I posted this one since I figured it was probably the simplest for computer dummies (who really SHOULD learn basic file management if they want to play with the editors, but few listen to that advice), all you whiz kids don't need this.

That's what I'm currently doing, placing and linking signals in the RS world editor then copying the four folders over to railworks to test. I wouldn't recommend THAT type of thing to clueless newbies since there's too much potential for disaster if you don't know what goes where and why. KISS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (91.3 KB, 813 views)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Otto, wouldn't your recommended Copy/Paste method be better if you just did a Copy/Paste of the actual Routes directory?

Doing it this way grabs all routes AND makes the copy outside the actual Routes directory, perhaps removing any possibility of confusing TS or RW with duplicate route definition files in the "Copy of..." directories.
    Depends on how many routes you have installed and how many you are working on !

Making more than one consecutive copy of the Content folder would copy all routes, having been worked on or not.

I have 23 RW routes using 4.8 Gb without any additional route folder copies.

My 3 WD 150 Gb Raptors are beginning to fill up and I have got to be economical as to how much disk space I use !

O t t o

I really do not understand the logic that those of you who claim to be computer savy are using about the end user and this game.

In general it is a good practice to back up your files on a regular basis. If it is such a good practice then how can the software not be doing it before it allows you to edit a file be acceptable?

It seems to me you are giving the software vendor permission to use bad practices in their software and forcing the customer to have to use good practices. Yes, everyone is responsible for themselves but not to hold the software vendor responsible for bad practices in their development is just the wrong way to go.

To add the code to do a backup of a route anytime you are going to edit it would be minimal. To add the code to do a backup of the software folder before every update would be minimal. The same goes for editing assets or any bin/xml file. Very simple. Anytime you go to edit something the system should create a backup and if one already exists it should ask you if you want to overwrite the backup or create a new one.

Minimal coding, maximize customer satisfaction... Wow, what a concept!

Doing a backup everytime you enter the game is a rediculous solution.

As "software professionals" their jobs are to create solutions for common issues and ease the use of the software for the general public. It is not to make the general public "computer professionals" so they don't have to write better software.

As long as everyone develops this software and their assets and routes only for others who know file managment or how the game files work and not for the general public who just want to click and play then these games will always be limited in their use and also in their development. That is the old way of doing things and new ways need to be adopted so that others can enjoy the game as much as you do. Those who have less time and less skills than you have.

Pike
    Last edited by pikehkr; 09-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikehkr View Post
    To add the code to do a backup of a route anytime you are going to edit it would be minimal. To add the code to do a backup of the software folder before every update would be minimal. The same goes for editing assets or any bin/xml file. Very simple. Anytime you go to edit something the system should create a backup and if one already exists it should ask you if you want to overwrite the backup or create a new one.
    It already exists - http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki...ackup+Facility

Great News! I now have this turned on!

It's a shame that I and it appears that most people never knew this existed. If it had only been on by default so that...

1. People wouldn't have lost data.
    2. People wouldn't have spent hours writing batch files or backing up files they really didn't need to back up that often.
    3. The message boards wouldn't be inundated with angry messages and that time could have been spent creating new content.
    4. Some of their customers would not be so frustrated that they decide never to develop for this game again.

Hopefully this is a learning experience for everyone involved. What is that saying, for every 1 person that complains, hundreds or thousands never say a word and just never come back.

Pike

Well, I have a LOT more than just RW on this computer. I don't trust any computer. So, I went commercial with the latest version of Roxio Easy Media Creator. I can span CD's or DVD's without encoding. That is, I can pull a file or directory off of any media disk (CD or DVD) without assistance.
    Personally, I'm using DVD's. Waaaaaaaay too much data for CD's.
    Remember to label your created disks and, if you're feeling ambitious, add the contained directories to the label --- gives that extra help.
    Lastly, it works for the whole machine, not just RW.
    Good luck.