Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: signals

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

One thing I've discovered is to never try to work with more than one signal at a time. Don't place and link four signals and then hit "save." Always finish up with one signal, then save, etc, until you're finished with them. Otherwise the RE tends to "forget" what you were doing and does it's own thing, resulting in some very weirdly and impossibly linked signals.

Just remember, top signal - high speed or straight route, lower signal, low speed, or curved (diverging) route.

I just thought of something --- If those are the only signals on your route, as in, no other signals between those and the end of the track, they'll always stay red...

Robert
    Last edited by rdamurphy; 10-07-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Though it is excellent advice, I have never paid attention to the "never place interactive objects in a route under construction" injunction. Especially when it comes to placing signals. I've always thought most crashes in the RE come from memory "accidents" and virtually any object can cause that, IMHO. Isn't track itself an "interactive object?" Anything that ends up with a reference in the TDB, RDB, TIT or RIT can cause a problem when it gets out of sync with the WORLD files. Frequent saves and, if working for hours at a time, rebooting all minimize crashes. These are conclusions based on my experience with the system I use and not necessarily the only ones. And certainly not reasons to ignore the advice in the first sentence.

I have scripted signals with the standard linking method using the "SigSubJnLinkIf" routine to make linking optional. I can place signals in their respective locations and not link them until the route is done. During this time, the signals will work for testing purposes, albeit without the proper indications until the links are set. They will function as "stop and go" for testing activities.

Regards,
    Hank

Hi Joseph: When you say the arrows should be before red line, do you mean farther away from a switch than the red line? Currently I am farther away than the red lines.

When I set them up and link both heads, I get a straight path for the top head and only the diverging track for the second. This second path only seems to go as far as the diverging track and not onto the actual mainlline as your diagram suggested.

I used a1t 10 deg right manual switch on the yard track connected the same kind of switch on the mainline. There is no track between the diverging points of the switches. They join to each other. I believe you have to leave a bit of straight track between two switches on the same line but it seems to work as a crossover o.k.

I do also have another yard (following the prototype) west of the one I originally sent captures of. Both sets of switches have the same problem. Here are a couple of pics of the paths for both yards, which are joined by the mainline and one yard track. East yard is the original screen capture I sent.
    eastyard.jpg

westyardpath.jpg

When I use explore mode, signals are indeed different: Heading westbound toward the first signals in the east yard, green over red is shown on yard track while yellow over red is shown on mainline.

The signals protecting the same switches but from Eastbound direction show green over red for the yard track but red over red for the mainline.

In the west yard, Westbound shows a flashing yellow over red for the yard track and red over red for the main. Eastbound in the same yard shows green over red for the yard and yellow over red for the main.

Any help is appreciated.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    I just thought of something --- If those are the only signals on your route, as in, no other signals between those and the end of the track, they'll always stay red...
    No they won't, Robert. I'm not sure 4am is your friend! (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrooks29 View Post
    When you say the arrows should be before red line, do you mean farther away from a switch than the red line?
    Yes.

When I set them up and link both heads, I get a straight path for the top head and only the diverging track for the second. This second path only seems to go as far as the diverging track and not onto the actual mainlline as your diagram suggested.
    That is okay. You can select any track exiting a switch (red pole) behind the signal. Selecting the crossover tracks specifically works too.

I believe you have to leave a bit of straight track between two switches on the same line but it seems to work as a crossover o.k.
    Your trackwork looks just fine.

When I use explore mode, signals are indeed different: Heading westbound toward the first signals in the east yard, green over red is shown on yard track while yellow over red is shown on mainline.
    Well, that sounds good.

So, your signals are showing Red in an Activity you created despite having a Path lined through the crossovers?

By any chance, does your train's path end exactly at the end of the track/route? If so, avoid having any "Start Point" or "End Point" on a node/blue pole/at the end of the track. That can cause some weird effects, not sure about this specifically, but...

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by jovet View Post
    No they won't, Robert. I'm not sure 4am is your friend! (LOL)
    Ummm, mine do? The last signal on a line usually shows yellow, unless you put one on the very end, and then it shows red. I usually try to add a bumper to "show" the game that the track ends. Maybe not necessary, but kind of a programmer's habit, a terminator, if you will...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    Ummm, mine do? The last signal on a line usually shows yellow, unless you put one on the very end, and then it shows red.
    The last regular signal before the end of the track will show Yellow/Amber. Not Red as you stated above. (???) This is because when that signal looks down the track at the next signal, MSTS underhandedly tells it that next signal (which doesn't exist) is showing SIGASP_STOP. A signal appropriately programed to warn about a Stop or Stop and Proceed aspect at the next signal will show Yellow/Amber with an Approach or equivalent aspect.

A regular signal at the very end of the track may show nothing other than Red if MSTS gets confused and doesn't keep the signal properly in the TDB, but that can happen in several other circumstances as well. Other than that, I do not see how "the last signal" can "stay red" unless it's explicitly programmed to do so or the programming for the signal head(s) is missing.