Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signals

Question signals

Not sure if this is the best forum, but, I've tried darned near everything else on my own. I am building a small route plus a couple of activities. I have a yard on both sides of the mainline. I have installed a switches to allow traffic from the yard to and from the mainline. I used "Marias" double signals . There is A1 traffic (1 consist) on the mainline.

Both lights show as red. I can get permission <TAB> to move through the signals as long as I am not close to A1 on the mainline . However, no signals ever go to green. Both directions of the switch signal remain at red. I have tried linking each signal to different points with no joy.

Any ideas?

You found the right forum for your question.

Could you take a comprehensive screen shot of the area in the Route Editor?

Default signals

good idea. Will attempt that tomorrow.

Default signals

I've attached three views of the tracks involved in my signal problem. Aberdeen1 is a view from the East, 2 is a side view from South and 3 is from West. Signals show green in RE but only red when I run trains.
    Rich modelling the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo (TH&B) west of Hamilton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the screen shots. The signal exists on the track in the TDB at the forward tip of the track marker. In the second one, from the side, it appears both signals are in front of the red poles. However both track markers also face relatively-close red poles, which often doesn't work correctly.

I would advise that you haven't setup the correct way to signal that area. Both crossovers should together be represented with 4 signals, one on each track approaching them... 2 in one direction and 2 in the other. All 4 signals will need two heads and the top head linked to the non-diverging route and the other head linked to the nearest crossover track. That method also eliminates any problems with the red poles. If you'd like a diagram to help me explain, just ask and I can provide one.

I suspected I did not have them set up properly. Yes please Joseph. Would appreciate a diagram - I tend to be a visual learner (:-}

Here you are...most people are best with visual.

Right now you have some signals in between the two crossovers, but as you see that's problematic and not prototypical.

Here I am showing "gantry" signals on a signal bridge extending over all the tracks. The multi-track default track in MSTS is pretty close together for most types of non-dwarf signals to be comfortable.

The red triangles and dashed lines show the track marker and the signals' connections. The red and blue dashed lines show signal head linking.

I didn't show signals on any other tracks but you can place signal heads on the signal bridge for those tracks too, if those other switches need to be signaled.

Thank you Joseph. I will get to work using your diagram. Will let you know how I make out.
    Rich

Hi Joseph: No joy. I am unsure what is happening. Followed your diagram exactly and still all reds showing. Is there something I have to do with sigcfg.dat or scr? Do the signals need to be permissives instead of absolutes? Is there a primer similar to Michael Vone's Guide to Routes?

I am almost at the point of giving up on the signals and leaving them requiring permissions.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbrooks29 View Post
    Followed your diagram exactly and still all reds showing. Is there something I have to do with sigcfg.dat or scr?
    Shouldn't be. You're using the default Marias Pass signals that came with MSTS, correct? The sigscr.dat file from the Marias Pass route is in your route's root folder, correct?

Do the signals need to be permissives instead of absolutes?
    Nope.

Is there a primer similar to Michael Vone's Guide to Routes?
    No, not specifically for signaling. Signaling is both more straightforward and more complicated than the MSTS Route Editor. (Whatever that means!)

Are the red track markers for the signals in front of the red poles? (They should be or you'd encounter troubles linking particular tracks, but...)

Are you testing the signals in Explore mode? Do that before trying them on an Activity. They should show something other than Red in Explore mode. They may or may not show something other than Red in Activity mode.

Feel free to post an updated RE screen shot and/or send me an email through my profile.