Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Downloading

Default Need Help With Downloading

Hello, I am new to trainsim.com and am interested in the downloadable content. But i seem to be havin problems. I have followed all the directions and have extracted the files but then it does not install. A window pops up shortly after saying that the program did not work right and that windows applied "compatibility settings" and to run the program again. This happens over and over with every download i get from this site. If some one could help me it would be much appreciated.

P.S. Would it be a problem with winzip? I am using the evaluation version. Do i Need to buy the full version?

Default Need more info

I'm making a couple assumptions here, since you posted in this forum I assume you're talking about an MSTS route. Most MSTS routes come with an installme.bat file, if that's what's failing the problem is most likely either a path command not set correctly, or you have Vista. With Vista you need to set bat files to "run as administrator" or something to get them to work. Winzip isn't the problem if the file extracted without errors, but we need to know what operatiing system you have and at least one file name so somebody can try to duplicate the error with one of the routes you're trying to install.

Hi,

I've been using the evaluation version for about ten years and might have had two bad zips in that time, hard to say if the problem was at my end, the originator, or lost a packet in the transfer.

Paul :-)

Default more info

Yes i am using windows vista.
    I have not tryed to download any routes yet but this problem has happened on everything i have downloaded such as the NEC Mega Pack by North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works.
    Last edited by paulbob130; 10-06-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Try running winzip as administrator.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Ok that sounds good. But how do you do that?
    Last edited by paulbob130; 10-06-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Right click on the shortcut or the exe and then click Run as Administrator. To make this permanentGo to the exe file and right click, go to Prpoerties at the bottom of the list and click it. You get a new window with tabs. Go to Compatibility and down near the bottom is a check box for run as administrator. Click the box then click OK at the bottom.
    Last edited by baldwin; 10-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Windows Vista has its own unzip program that works great..I suggest you learn how to use it by simply right clicking on the file that you want to unzip and then find it in the options available, you can then put it in a folder or create a new one for it.

Bob Edwards

Thank you all so much for the help but now i am having a problem unpacking activities ( aem7-def.zip ). It always comes up with a window saying it cant open the file.

Try redownloading - you may have gotten a corrupted download.