Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RW Freeroam AI Trains - Yes

Default RW Freeroam AI Trains - Yes

Experimenting with this for days, I tried again in the latest release of the PO&CM-2 and after relaying the tracks at this junction took out their signals just in case:

Here a Southern Pacific passenger AI train runs from New York to Chicago and me driving the BR101 player train from Chicago to New York managed to run it at the right speed to meet the AI at that new junction !

Any suggestions, Jim, what signals to use there to make sure that the player train does not go straight ahead at that new junction, the #9-Map dispatcher not having set the player train switch to diverge ?

Is there an advance signal indicating that an AI is about to cross the player train's straight path and if not is there a signal which would set that switch to diverge, HAL being aware that the other track is being used by an AI ?

Now for more complicated experiments.

O t t o

Thought there are glitches in the RS/RW signaling (scripts), I have found that in most cases that they will work. Link placement IS critical! Also when there is a diamond the 2D map will NOT show the correct aspect UNLESS there is a path thru the diamond. I have also used the 2H3T signal effectively, even though the links go beyond the link (0) of the next facing signal. Usually this may cause false aspects. A note to route builders! short sections of track between turnouts will cause problems with signaling as there will NOT be enough room for signal links. Hard to stuff 4 in a two pound bag. Signal links on top of each other can also give false aspects. 3Hxx signals seem to alway have the middle head aspect of red. That is not what I expect to see. One issue that may be a problem is the look ahead of only one signal and may be one of the problems with AI trains. Do they (AI) actually read the signals???

Talking Square one?

Well, if you're trying to start from scratch you need to delete what you have and download pocmrw2.zip to start from that. You're still looking at one of the early betas;

I didn't use the signal bridges shown in your pics in the actual release, since they're too low and the LODs aren't as far as these others. As for what signals, the default US ones don't work correctly;

Top is the way they work in game, if there's a train stopped three blocks ahead you still see green, no indication of an occupied block until you're only two blocks behind and you see a yellow. Bottom is how US color light signals are supposed to work, green FLASHING YELLOW then yellow then red. In the game the only time you see flashing yellow is when the next signal is a doublehead set for the diverge and it's only a coincidence when it sometimes means the same thing as real life. They also don't work consistently even when you take the paths into account, the next junction south of that one has a correctly linked doublehead on a slip switch, linked like dozens of others on the route in similar applications, but for some reason that one works today stops working tomorrow. Delete and replace with a new one and the new one works now, quits working later.

So I really can't suggest anything about using signals to control AI traffic, since from what I see neither one works right. For the player train in a standard scenario I think the mainline switches need to be automatic, otherwise HAL won't set the path for the player, in free roam you pretty much need to think use the #9 key to set the switches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (94.2 KB, 255 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (24.4 KB, 248 views)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Bottom is how US color light signals are supposed to work, green FLASHING YELLOW then yellow then red.
    Where did this information come from? I would like to read it because I have not seen this in anything I have read.

Pike

Well, you'll need to hunt up Signalmaster or Jovet for all the details, PRR position lights, searchlight signals, and so on can be different but for UP, BNSF, and most other US railroads that was the standard.

http://www.lundsten.dk/us_signaling/...988/index.html

That's all I could find on a quick google search, there they call flashing yellow "approach limited". In general (again there are exceptions) a flashing (or blinking, it's actually about half a second on, half a second off) signal means a LESS restrictive indication than a steady light. The way these US default signals are scripted a flashing red means 15mph or less, since that's the track speed threshold that makes the signal display flashing red, but the actual speeds vary from one railroad to the next. But for the basics you should get warning of an occupied block three signals ahead, not two. Dunno about European or semaphores, never studied those.

Right, I've read all that. Where did you read that you get a three signal warning for occupation? Is that a MSTS thing? I have not read that anywhere.

Pike

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6081655AAfpIxe

http://www.railswest.com/signals.html

As for the actual question "where did I read that", I don't remember specifically since it's something I've known for 40 years, but several books in addition to personal observation - watch a train pass under the block signal it turns red, then yellow, then flashing yellow, then green.

Actually I was working on the CSX mainline. There was an especially tight junction at the start of Bennington Yard. This is where I used the 2H3T. Seems to work fine.
    I believe that when a link is positioned beyond the next facing signal that the first signal is reading the table of signal #3 not signal #2 table.
    I have had signals that will not respond, even though the link placement look OK. There is one in the Thomas S B that will not show red over green for diverging into the Mojave yard.
    also had re-signaled the TP 4 Beta. All work correctly except in the Salida yard. Two crossovers that are very close together. No room for links in between. Used a 3H3T. Straight shows green/red/red. First diverge shows red/red/green. Second diverge shows the same.

The scripts probably could be modified to show red, yellow, flashing yellow, green. But if Signalman can not figure out the scripts I know I could not.
    One thing that at first puzzled me was that after repositioning some links the first opposing signal was gree when it should have been red. Engine nearby. Then I realized that exiting to initialize the signals probably reset all the tables to zero.This looking at the 2D map. Also that I wanted to be in the area to actually look at the signal. Yellow in the 2D map can mean many conditions. (red over green, yellow over red, etc.) Red in the 2D map could also be flashing red.
    Last edited by jamesphh; 10-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Default Multiple Freeroam AI Trains

Starting to add some of my multiple Freeroam AI trains to the OTTO copy of the PO&CM, here is one of their storage tracks:

which can be covered by terrain so that they do not show and just appear out of the ground and if fussy can place a tunnel portal there.

The first ones on the storage track and on the mainline start at the same time as the scenario and others then follow them at 5 minutes interval.

A short speeded up video of their action can be downloaded here: http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/video/p...ultiple-ai.rar

O t t o
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default SciFi at RW?

Hey, Otto, those trains emerging from the ground are spooky...shouldn't there at least be some signs of burrowing (unburrowing?)--you know, piles of loose earth around the site?

This would be especially great at night: "Hey, Fred, what's that over there?" "Dunno, Sam, looks like another o' those danged burrowing trains!" "Naw, wait...it's just a gopher that ate some of that radioactive dirt left over from the last SciFi film."