Thread: Ground Textures-not equal to vegetation

Smile Ground Textures-not equal to vegetation

While the vegetation of RW is excellent, as are the objects, the ground textures is less so. The low resolution textures detract from the overall appearance unless heavily covered by vegetation. A competitive product has higher resolution textures - yes it has its own warts.

If the issue is FPS creating higher resolution copies of the existing textures would give customers options. As PCs evolve RW should offer better ground textures.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyx View Post
    As PCs evolve RW should offer better ground textures.
    And should also be visible as far as the eye can see, as in MS-FS-X and MSTS, like these which I have used in my MSTS Gold-Spike route, some shown below North of Shelby.

Frank Carver has created many more, such as sunflowers fields and these wheat files in his GWR-Toddington route below, also featuring self-aligning with the terrain cows and sheep forests !

This and better is what I want from a Train Simulator !

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 10-11-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Smile Can Better Textures Evolve?

Aerial views are not a revealing of the use of the program. RW is a ground based simulator. When driving a train looking from the window of the engine should show better detailed ground textures. Looking at the hillside of a cut should show proper rocks, earth and some vegetation. Instead you see what is best described as slime-like(IMHO) textures stretched over sharply angled surfaces. Using higher resolution ground textures in another product showed no noticeable deterioration of FPS. Granted these are different graphics rendering programs. There may be internal limitations that the vendor cannot overcome. However, with the probability that the original photos of the ground are of very good clarity, is there a chance Rail Simulation can make the ground, that is only 15ft away from the cab, look better?

A view from the cab:
    Last edited by boleyx; 10-11-2009 at 10:13 AM.

In MSTS it does not matter whether you view the scenery from inside the cab, the Shift-1, #2, #3, #4 outside views, the new overhead yard view and the Ctrl-Shift-9 fish-eye camera, the details of the scenery are the same as far as the eye can see.

In RW the procedural flora like Jim's does not become visible until getting closer !

Check the Bay of Quinte route and see what it shows you from inside the cab.

O t t o
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 10-11-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    In MSTS it does not matter whether you view the scenery from inside the cab, the Shift-1, #2, #3, #4 outside views, the new overhead yard view and the Ctrl-Shift-9 fish-eye camera, the details of the scenery are the same as far as the eye can see.

In RW the procedural flora like Jim's does not become visible until getting closer !

Check the Bay of Quinte route and see what it shows you from inside the cab.

O t t o
    I agree on the long distance view being restricted. However, cab views of non-mountainous areas (rolling hills) are blurred. Below are 2 pictures of a competing program that show fairly close views of the ground but with good clarity. Those are flat photo textures. JPG deteriorates as well.
    Last edited by boleyx; 10-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Yes, looking good !

Below is Frank Carver's MSTS GWR-Toddington route viewed from inside the cab.

O t t o

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Yes, looking good !

Below is Frank Carver's MSTS GWR-Toddington route viewed from inside the cab.

O t t o

That picture almost makes me wish I had not lost my copy of MSTS. It was the improved graphics that drove me to RS/RW from MSTS. Now, after awhile of feasting on RW the need for some better stuff is here. Never satisfied. I even criticize my HDTV which is a glass CRT Sony, allegedly the best quality.
    Last edited by boleyx; 10-11-2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyx View Post
    Never satisfied. I even criticize my HDTV which is a glass CRT Sony, allegedly the best quality.
    Same here !

UK TV is going digital this year and I too will stick with my 29" Sony glass TV with Sky Satellite, not having enough room for a 40" plasma or LCD/LED one.

MSTS now sells for 10 here in the UK and there have been some amazing new routes for them recently, the Freeware Pacific Surfliner to mention but one of them, MSTSBin having virtually created MSTS-2 !

O t t o