Thread: The Reference to Memory zero/nil error

Smile The Reference to Memory zero/nil error

This error seems to occur in a variety of circumstances. The instruction that tries to get to mem-0 is probably using a value that has been set by another routine/thread/sub-routine. If RS found all the instances of what could be passing the bad address each could be modified to write the value it is passing to a specific place. Then when the error happens look for the entry of all zeros in each of the "last passed value" locations.

Attached Images Attached Images

That error looks like the run-time ERROR-5 "Illegal Function Call", covering many un-identifiable causes which finding has given us headaches in the past !

A run-time debugger should however be capable of showing where and what in the source code has triggered it.

I had dozens of them recently, working on my copy of the PO&CM.

O t t o

Worst trouble is you're supposed to send in dump files whenever you get them, but you only get those with the "something bad happened", not the "memory could not be written". For every dump file I get I see a few dozen of them "memory could not be written" ones.

That one says "could not be read", usual type I'm getting from the scenario editor now, altho sometimes I get it in game as well either from editing a scenario before playing (scenario runs fine for a few minutes, then crashes) or when reloading a save game (not related to scenario specific track markers cuz I don't use them). Standard before the latest patches;

Got that one whenever exiting after using the world editor;

And that one after using the scenario editor. Progress is that I'm no longer getting constant errors on exit, if it don't crash I don't get error messages, one step backwards is the scenario editor crashes a lot more frequently this past week, gotten so bad I've taken to making scenarios in railsim and copying the scenario.bin file into railworks. Anyway I would assume that a competent programmer should be able to figure out the cause from the messages, from what I hear the trouble they're having is they can't duplicate in house (on their Macintosh version which doesn't run on the STEAM platform apparently). Anyone try making scenarios on a default route with default trainsets and still get this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Messing with signals, which is what you are doing, appears to be hit more MEM-0 errors. I read the error as an attempt of an instruction to address memory location zero which it should not since that location is not within its assigned memory area. I am also guessing that the routine that is accessing the zero address is not the problem but is being told by another process to do that access. The function call may be the issue in that it is telling a common routine to go to location zero.
    Last edited by boleyx; 10-14-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Default You talkin' ta ME?!

I'm not getting it messing with signals, after the latest patch I haven't had (Knock on wood cross fingers Luck be a Lady tonight) any crashes in the world editor, they have all been in the scenario editor or in game while driving. Most seem to be related to loading dense scenery, possibly 3000 objects per tile is a bit much.