Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: InitialSave.xml?

Question InitialSave.xml?

I get these when I make a new scenario, usually delete them. Anyone know what it's for?

Hiya,

These files hold information such as junction states, so that you can create paths through areas of manual junctions and not have to rely on the player setting them once the scenario has started.

While in the Scenario Editor, set manual junctions via the 2D map and their state will be recorded when you save and subsequently play the scenario.

Smile

Looks like you do not have to preset switches at time of construction. Use the 2D to clean up default settings and save.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by RSDLadam View Post
    While in the Scenario Editor, set manual junctions via the 2D map and their state will be recorded when you save and subsequently play the scenario.
    Switches can be set in the #9-Map only if they are in a blue line player service path, which is limited to a certain length.

Are these switch settings scenario specific or do they apply to all Freeroam scenarios using them, Standard scenarios using another method of pathing their player trains.

O t t o

Default Scenario markers

In addition the file contains any scenario installed markers (destination, siding etc.) that a standard scenario placed. If a scenario used these markers and the file were deleted the scenario would give an error ( missing markers or multiple errors ) upon start up. Latest revision of Mike Simpson's RW_Tools do copy this file successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Switches can be set in the #9-Map only if they are in a blue line player service path, which is limited to a certain length.

Are these switch settings scenario specific or do they apply to all Freeroam scenarios using them, Standard scenarios using another method of pathing their player trains.

O t t o
    Hiya,

1] As the developer of RailWorks, I am not aware of such a limitation.

2] An InitialSave.xml is provided on a per scenario basis, allowing each one to be custom.

Talking Äpfel und Orangen

Kicked over a Tower of Babel here, now I gotta translate British to Yankee Doodlish to German so we're all singing from the same hymnbook. Otto, he's not talking about setting the path in free roam, he's talking about setting switches in the scenario editor, different animal. In any case you CAN shift click on ANY switch even if it's not on your path, you just don't see the blue line change if there's no blue line, there's a thicker dark gray line on each switch that shows its setting.

An aside to Adam here, you really really need to redo the colors (sorry, "colours") in the 2D map to get some CONTRAST in there, dull light gray dull dark gray dull pastel blue against a black background ain't working for me.

Anyway, on to what Adam said;

In the scenario editor, all these switches are set for the straight yard ladder and the wye is set for the other track, so if I start playing from here I need to set two trailing point switches before I can drive out. While in the scenario editor;

Go into the #9 2D map and SHIFT click on switches to set them the way you want at the start of the scenario.

I didn't set a destination for that service (it IS free roam), but when the scenario starts it already has the path I set as soon as I click on it to drive. Note here in the previous thread regarding switch settings in the world editor;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=286858

I had set all the switches to go straight by default at Tower 18, for this one scenario there is now a default path from northbound Wells to westbound Lake Street.

Here's what Otto is talking about, the blue line INGAME only extends a mile or so ahead and behind the train, as the train advances it will extend beyond that switch - you CAN shift click on the switch to change it before the blue line gets there, railworks has introduced this thicker dark gray that shows this switch is straight, if I shift click on it the thicker dark gray line swaps over to the curve.

At Jim, I'll check that out, I thought all the info for the markers was in the /ScenarioNetworkProperties.bin file.

Anyway, reason I asked this is the way I do this;

1. Make a new free roam scenario, add loose consists and player services all over the map.
    2. Make a bunch of new free roam scenarios in different locations, leave them empty.
    3. Go into the Scenarios\98bee9ae-7c5b-4f36-9430-0a8e2af45c17 folder, copy the "master" scenarios.bin file from that folder to all the other folders - now I have half a dozen scenarios with the same services and loose consists, but with different starting points and/or time and weather variations, saves time having to place two zillion trains everywhere.

That's what got me wondering about this, place a new scenario marker and type in the info and save, that goes into the ScenarioProperties.xml file but there's no scenario.bin since it's an empty scenario. I couldn't figure out why I always got an InitialSave.xml or what it was for, guess I should have opened in wordpad and took a look, hey? So what's this good for, instead of having to tinker with every switch on the route and try to find the best global settings, customize each scenario by setting the switches according to the starting points for the most logical paths out of the station. Of course when you have a choice of five different paths the player is gonna need to do some shift clicking on his own anyway, but the InitialSave.xml will at least get him started.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.1 KB, 65 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (39.4 KB, 65 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 66 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (23.7 KB, 64 views)

This is what Derek said:

To which I replied:

Mistakingly thinking that he is talking about the #9-Map in PLAY mode.

And where and when was it mentioned that RW can now do that ? Using Shift-Right-Click on a switch node to jump to it's location has been.

Most double slips visually not indicating what their path is and the World scenario editor #9-Map not showing a blue line player path, how does one know which way they are pathed before and after changing it in the #9-Map ?

Other switches need to be first checked for their path visually, find them in the #9-Map, Shift-Click on one to throw it and then exiting the #9-Map check it to make sure that the switch's path has been changed ?

Will test that later.

B.t.w., what has screwed up your PO&CM-3 RWP package download ?

O t t o
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 10-19-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Not to mention you're mistaking Adam for Derek. Well, I dunno, just because I'm a 56 year old infant here don't mean I have all my marbles, I really don't remember where I read that about the dark gray lines but it was one of the first things I noticed about railworks.

This is railsim, I SHIFT click on the light blue dot for that switch which is off my path, no blue line going thru it but it DOES change, note the signals guarding that switch change to reflect the new points position. Absent signals you would have no indication that switch had changed, but in railworks;

There's a heavier dark gray line that shows which way the switch is thrown. Senility again, I thought we talked about this before, can't remember where or when, but in free roam I CAN set a complete full path beyond the end of the blue line, provided I clean my greasy bifocals so I can actually SEE those blasted dark gray lines against the black background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.1 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (49.7 KB, 57 views)

Just not used to see Adam post lately !

Below is what does not work he said it does and would like him or anybody else to show me otherwise.

Am displaying the time lapsed to make sure that what I am demonstrating can not be argued with and is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth !

O t t o