Thread: Engines not appearing in tab menu?

Default Engines not appearing in tab menu?

Hello, I have re-installed RW because I didn't realize the cars from railsim would not work, so I re-installed and then added the Conrail and CSX engines I had downloaded from this site but now they are not showing in the left hand menu under the scenario creator.

Sorry for the longest sentence ever lol.

Thanks in advance all.

Default "cars"?

As in automobiles, or railroad cars? If railroad cars, which ones? Any railsim rolling stock, engines or cars, will work in railworks.

Couple items;

1. In the launcher window before starting railworks, click the Tools & Docs tab, hit the "Clear Cache" button to force a rebuild of the blueprints.pak files that includes the new stuff you just installed.
    2. See this;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=268225

Picture 3 in particular, if you're adding US equipment to a default based route, you need to check the object filter is on for kuju railsimulatorUS, and also check the filter on for whatever addon you just installed.

The very awesome KRS container car pack found in the downloads section.

Talking One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Hee-hee, to me intermodals are about as interesting as trucks, I wouldn't call anything to do with a stack train "awesome", but different strokes for different folks. Basically this works the same way as flightsim (if you look Nels Anderson is Da Man for both), best way to ask for help is to specify a file name;

A quick search that's the only stack train I turned up, so if I wanted to ask about that I would click and drag the file name, CTRL C to copy, CTRL V to paste into the post: dscupdt.zip

Now the guy knows which one I'm talking about. If that's the one, note it has the stored path "Rail Simulator/Assets/Kuju/RailSimulatorUS/RailVehicles/Freight/DoubleStackCar/Def2/Wagon/Textures/BNFSdoublestack.TgPcDx" inside, so to get that into Railworks;

1. Extract to a temp folder, now inside the temp folder you have a folder named \Rail Simulator.
    2. Open the \Rail Simulator folder, select and copy the \Assets folder.
    3. Browse to wherever you have \Railworks, paste that \Assets folder into the \Railworks folder, YES to overwrites.
    4. Start the Railworks launcher, select the tools and docs tab, click the Clear Cache button.

That's the one big difference between this and the assorted flightsims, each subfolder set has a blueprints.pak file, if it finds one of those it loads the info from that, if it doesn't find one it scans that filter set to see what's in there and builds a new blueprints.pak file. So anytime you install something new, you need to get rid of the controlling blueprints.pak if the installation doesn't do it automatically so the game knows you have something new.

FAQ, "overwrite default files, are you crazy?"

Normally I would recommend extreme caution when downloading anything that overwrites anything, but the advantage to STEAM is you have an automatic recovery, don't need to reinstall if the addon trashes the game.

Start the STEAM client (not the railworks launcher) and select My Games, Railworks, click the Properties button, then the Local Files tab in the new window, "Verify integrity of game cache" will overwrite whatever is in there with the latest matching files they have. Obvious problem there is any hacks or repaints of default equipment or routes will be reset to default, so if you have any you want to keep you need to back those up and restore them manually after any update or verify cache repair. Best way to do it is to clone defaults and hack/repaint the clones instead of changing anything on the defaults, but that's complicated so you will find quite a few addons that directly modify default files. Unlike non STEAM games that's not dangerous, since the "Verify Cache" option gives you a failsafe backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Hee-hee, to me intermodals are about as interesting as trucks, I wouldn't call anything to do with a stack train "awesome", but different strokes for different folks. Basically this works the same way as flightsim (if you look Nels Anderson is Da Man for both), best way to ask for help is to specify a file name;

A quick search that's the only stack train I turned up, so if I wanted to ask about that I would click and drag the file name, CTRL C to copy, CTRL V to paste into the post: dscupdt.zip

Now the guy knows which one I'm talking about. If that's the one, note it has the stored path "Rail Simulator/Assets/Kuju/RailSimulatorUS/RailVehicles/Freight/DoubleStackCar/Def2/Wagon/Textures/BNFSdoublestack.TgPcDx" inside, so to get that into Railworks;

1. Extract to a temp folder, now inside the temp folder you have a folder named \Rail Simulator.
    2. Open the \Rail Simulator folder, select and copy the \Assets folder.
    3. Browse to wherever you have \Railworks, paste that \Assets folder into the \Railworks folder, YES to overwrites.
    4. Start the Railworks launcher, select the tools and docs tab, click the Clear Cache button.

That's the one big difference between this and the assorted flightsims, each subfolder set has a blueprints.pak file, if it finds one of those it loads the info from that, if it doesn't find one it scans that filter set to see what's in there and builds a new blueprints.pak file. So anytime you install something new, you need to get rid of the controlling blueprints.pak if the installation doesn't do it automatically so the game knows you have something new.

FAQ, "overwrite default files, are you crazy?"

Normally I would recommend extreme caution when downloading anything that overwrites anything, but the advantage to STEAM is you have an automatic recovery, don't need to reinstall if the addon trashes the game.

Start the STEAM client (not the railworks launcher) and select My Games, Railworks, click the Properties button, then the Local Files tab in the new window, "Verify integrity of game cache" will overwrite whatever is in there with the latest matching files they have. Obvious problem there is any hacks or repaints of default equipment or routes will be reset to default, so if you have any you want to keep you need to back those up and restore them manually after any update or verify cache repair. Best way to do it is to clone defaults and hack/repaint the clones instead of changing anything on the defaults, but that's complicated so you will find quite a few addons that directly modify default files. Unlike non STEAM games that's not dangerous, since the "Verify Cache" option gives you a failsafe backup.
    Now they seem to work, not sure what I did wrong the first time.