Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German Routes

Unhappy German Routes

Over the past couple of years, I bought several RS add-ons from German Railroads. When I started using RW, I naturally checked to see whether the company was offering RW upgrades for their products, as some other vendors are doing. Every product I have checked on the GR web site (http://shop.german-railroads.eu) carries this statement: "This version don't work with Railworks". A message I sent asking whether adaptations were in the works hasn't been answered.

So I've decided to do a bit of experimenting. First, I used the RS packager to wrap up all the rolling stock from the add-ons I'd purchased and installed the result into RW. Then I used RW_Tools to find and package the scenarios included in the pay-ware packages. The "fun" began as I started to test run the scenarios!

All of them were written for the Hagen-Siegen route. The first one I tried failed to load, not surprisingly, due to several AI-related errors. It turned out that one AI train's direction had been reversed in the transfer process and a few destinations of others had to be reassigned, but I eventually got rid of the errors and the scenario loaded correctly. However, it wouldn't proceed part the third instruction, which involved coupling a few freight cars behind the engine.

I'd run into similar problems when writing scenarios for RS and they were always caused by a lack of individual car numbers. For the sake of moving on, I cloned the scenario with RW_Tools (what would we do without it?) and went to work substituting other rolling stock where necessary. Later, I checked the faulty freight cars and found, indeed, that the problem was with their inadequate numbers file.

The second scenario I worked on had a ... wait a minute ... does anybody else care? If you're interested in hearing more of this saga, let me know, otherwise I'll just go on stumbling around Hagen-Siegen. If someone else is investigating this area, please let me know: perhaps zwei kopfen are thicker than one.

Tom Pallen

Default just accepted

I didnt use the scenarios since RW, just copied over the rolling stock from RS.
    Keep in mind that they had a working product untill Railworks changed tracks etc.
    On their website, in their forums you just reed between the lines : not an interesting market.

I'm not telling that their approach is OK.......
    Albert

Hi, the big problem you are going to have with running RS Hagen Siegen scenarios in RW is that the RW version of the route has been updated ie. the track layout and infrastructure has been redone which will probably play havoc with them if they play at all. Which is most likely why German Railroads didn't want to release updates as they would have had to redo them all.

John
    Last edited by Capt_Scarlet; 10-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Scarlet View Post
    Which is most likely why German Railroads didn't want to release updates as they would have had to redo them all.
    John
    Correct, that's what they tell on their website. And they do not have RW products, everything they sell is for RS !
    These German Railroad guys are the best. They made perfect routes and rolling stock for MSTS, far better than Protrain stuff.
    I do not think they will enter this RW market untill a german (translated) version of RW is released. And they were also very good in activity building, where building good scenarios in RW is not so fine.....
    Albert

Quote Originally Posted by marjal View Post
    Correct, that's what they tell on their website. And they do not have RW products, everything they sell is for RS !
    These German Railroad guys are the best. They made perfect routes and rolling stock for MSTS, far better than Protrain stuff.
    I do not think they will enter this RW market until a German (translated) version of RW is released. And they were also very good in activity building, where building good scenarios in RW is not so fine.....
    A while ago when I got involved with them when participating in the MSTS WUPPER-EXPRESS series I was told that they would not work on any more RS releases for various reasons.

O t t o

Default Train without track

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Scarlet View Post
    Hi, the big problem you are going to have with running RS Hagen Siegen scenarios in RW is that the RW version of the route has been updated ie. the track layout and infrastructure has been redone which will probably play havoc with them if they play at all. Which is most likely why German Railroads didn't want to release updates as they would have had to redo them all.

John
    I sort of noticed that track changes had occurred when I opened one scenario for editing and saw the engine sitting a few meters from the nearest track!

Tom Pallen

Hi,

For the RailWorks release a major overhaul of the Hagen-Siegen route was undertaken in accordance with significant feedback we had recieved, both from consumers and developers of German content. We worked closely with German Railroads, however due to the vast changes to the route, it was an unfortunate conclusion.

However, German Railroads are a talented and professional team, and I believe they have not given up just yet. As was stated with Rail Simulator, the market needs to be right, for them to join in.

Default Progress report

Thanks for the note about German Railworks, Adam. Here's a progress report on my effort to update scenarios included in purchased packages:

1) GT3 Steel Factory Hohenlinberg: fixed completely.
    2) GT3 Machine Factory Kreztal: fixed completely.
    3) GT3 Broken Loco: still having difficulties, but I think I know how to resolve them.

The primary situation I've encountered involves what I can only call phantom trains, both AI and player. These are entire trains or racks of cars on yard tracks that appear in the 3D world but are invisible on the 2D map. In the case of player or AI trains, these include driver and operational disks in the 3D world, but produce errors instead of actions. Clicking on any part of one of these trains highlights the entire consist even when the consist editor button is not checked. Attempting to move them may make them vanish completely or make the rolling stock vanish leaving the operating disks behind. Now, that's eerie! The solution I've adopted is to replace the entire train and provide the replacement engine with instrustion disks that match those of the phantom, and delete the phantom. In 99% of cases, this fixes the problem, but sometimes a destination cannot be reached; moving the new train slightly usually fixes this: don't ask me why.

I'm reporting all this because it might help fix scenario problems for others as well.

If anyone at Os Commerce has an objection to the work I'm doing please let me know.

Tom Pallen

Default German route graphics

Quote Originally Posted by RSDLadam View Post
    Hi,

For the RailWorks release a major overhaul of the Hagen-Siegen route was undertaken in accordance with significant feedback we had recieved, both from consumers and developers of German content. We worked closely with German Railroads, however due to the vast changes to the route, it was an unfortunate conclusion.

However, German Railroads are a talented and professional team, and I believe they have not given up just yet. As was stated with Rail Simulator, the market needs to be right, for them to join in.
    I may be mistaken, but the Hagen-Siegen route's graphics (especially foliage) do not look as good as those of the other standard routes. That is, trees still look like cardboard cutouts, including those closest to the tracks.

Tom Pallen

Quote Originally Posted by pallent View Post
    ...That is, trees still look like cardboard cutouts, including those closest to the tracks.

Tom Pallen
    No problems here, everything looks OK.
    The small pics you are allowed to attach don't show the real quality
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marjal; 10-21-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Albert