Thread: Save a plot of assets?

Default Save a plot of assets?

I never seen this mentioned and I know it can't be done. Just a random thought I had which I think would speed up certain aspects of route creation.

Ever build a section of route and go "darn I'd love add that to [insert another route here] but you pretty much have to start from scratch and rebuild it asset by asset?

It would be nice if you could save that section, and allow it to be placed in another route. Or upload and let others use it. Bearing in mind if freeware/payware assets were needed they simply would not show up in the spots they belong. Then you could adjust and tweak that section to meet the needs and look of that route. Overall the bulk of the major work was done and just leaves you fine tuning it.

Not a request, just a random idea I had that I thought I'd share.
    Last edited by styckx; 11-01-2009 at 05:07 PM.

It's an either/or thing, you CAN copy a track database from a route to a new one, trying to append all that would be complicated. For the Port Ogden & Chicago Metro route, what I did;

1. Made a new route, did the DEM deed.
    2. Opened up the Metro Suburban route ( rsmstsus.zip in the file library), raised a bunch of terrain blocks to 300 meters.
    3. Moved the \Scenery folder out of the route's folder.
    4. Opened the Metro Suburban, dragged a huge circle around the entire track layout, then held down the V key to raise the entire track to the level of one of the 300 meter high monoliths.
    5. Copied the \Networks\Tracks.bin and \Networks\Track Tiles to the new route.

Okay, now I got the track, what about scenery? That's a bit more difficult since you can only drag and select up to four tiles at one time, so;
    6. Moved all the .bin files out of the scenery folder, then copied in four at a time, +000000-000001.bin, +000000-000002.bin, +000001-000001.bin and +000001-000002.bin for example, then dragged a circle around all the static scenery objects on the four tiles and raised them 300 meters. Move in, move out, copy and paste four at a time, still quicker than redoing the whole smash.

\Scenery - static objects, trees and houses.
    \MixMap - paint on the ground.
    \Terrain - hills and valleys.
    \Networks - track, roads, and lofts.

You want to experiment with this, clone the Hagen Siegen route and delete the \Networks folder from the clone, now you have a template with terrain, ground textures, and static scenery objects. Copy a dozen or so files from the Bath \Scenery folder and paste into the clone's \Scenery folder, open the clone and visit those tiles, dragging a circle around the new scenery objects and hit the J key to level them with the terrain. Got a route where you want to copy a section, note the tile numbers and copy those from one scenery folder to the other, after leveling the objects the only thing that remains is to lay the track.

Good god. Maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself next time.. My brain hurts reading that.

Being able to do that has been mentioned by me a number of times in the RS forums.

It started with me creating custom forests in a spare tile of a route which can then be circled, copied and pasted into other parts of the route, J aligning all they contain to the terrain if uneven.

Such clumps could contain buildings, animals and other objects.

While doing that I thought, now would it not be a great idea to be able do SAVE them the same way consists can be saved so that they can be used in other routes too !

Can't be done easily without messing with the source code of RW, which doing is fraught with danger !

O t t o

Cool Take two aspirin and call me in the morning

When your brain stops hurting, try it, you'll like it.

Looking for a prefab city for a new area on my route, here's a good one in Hagen Siegen. Turn on the tile boundaries so I can see what's where, decide I want a 2x3 tile block of this, so I write down six tile numbers.

Use RW_Tools to find that the Hagen Siegen is \00000004-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 and my route is \32240d99-c14f-411b-a50c-c524dd57bd2e, go to the \Scenery folders of both, CTRL click to select the six tiles I want, CTRL C CTRL V, now open my route;

And there's the city of Applestrudel-Liederhosen or whatever it is. Could also go into the \Terrain and \MixMap folders and copy the corresponding number files from those, but for my purposes the whole thing needs to be shifted up 200 meters anyway so there's some terrain sculpting ahead of me. Assorted cleanup, for example since the lofts and roads didn't come along with it I have bridge arches hanging in midair and station canopies with no platforms underneath, but it's a quick and dirty timesaver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.6 KB, 50 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (87.8 KB, 50 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.9 KB, 49 views)

What you are capable of doing, Jim, is way above the heads of most and that has not changed since MSTS !

O t t o

Well, that's why I do the tutorials;

http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai...s/rt_fold.html

And once you get past the oddball GUID alphanumeric soup, RS/RW is actually easier to figure out;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=264069

Since there are less files and folders involved, and the subfolder names inside the GUID gobbledygook route folder are actually descriptive of what's in there. Only one I haven't looked at is the \ProceduralScenery folder some of the default routes have, since any addon route whatever procedural scenery is involved always goes into the \Networks\Lofts.bin and Loft Tiles folder. That's the other thing, you CAN copy roads, lofts, and/or tracks from one route to another, but for that you have to copy the whole smash instead of bits and pieces. It should be intuitively obvious, if you want all the roads then you copy the roads.bin and Road Tiles folder together to keep everything in synch.

This part here really isn't rocket science, especially when you're making a new route you don't need to tinker with moving stuff from one tile to another. I want to copy scenery from tile -000004+000013 from one route to another and that tile is already used by something else, then it becomes more complicated because you need to clone the source route, delete the \networks folder from the clone, and copy or move the scenery group to a tile that will be empty on the destination route.