Thread: New Goin" Ons

Default New Goin" Ons

Hi all,
    Just looking for a synopsis of what's been happening in the last few months> Any new things of note to play around with?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by livercup View Post
    Hi all ! Just looking for a synopsis of what's been happening in the last few months. Any new things of note to play around with?
    Not much going on with RW US apart from a new steam loco and Jim having finished his Port Ogden & Chicago Metro route, I have released an OTTO copy of.

The CSX-Mainline went Gold and Thomas is working on a new route. Other recent routes which have been worked on like the Tennessee Pass and the Bay of Quinte are in limbo.

Am utterly bored !

O t t o

I started back to work on the Florida East Coast railway about a month ago. Mostly I have been deleting a bunch of stuff that was not needed and replacing it with other assets that cause less graphic hit.

I am now looking at replacing all of the rusty track with non rusty track, hence the questions about making changes in the network files.

I am looking for some new loaders and animations for them, maybe someone will offer to help, basically I want to animate the oxfo-Padington crane on the scaffold system and turn it into a series of working loaders for the steam age. Also, I want to try and find a way to animate a work crew loading boxes into box cars, and to expand on that baggage for the baggage cars.

Miami to Homestead is complete, but I need some assets. The train stops at what was the operating headquarters for Pan American Airlines in Coconut Grove, Florida. I would so love to have those amazing Pan Am Clippers on the docks, and maybe even one that lands in the sea.

There will be no Beta 2 until connect Miami to Marathon and change the track from Marathon to Key West. At that time though, we will have a 128 mile route damned near complete and ready to throw into the mix. Then I will expand all the dozens and dozens of spurs and branch lines through the city of Miami, out to the quarries and up to Hieleah, then extend north a ways before the following Beta, but that is a couple months down the road.

It is still my intention to build the entire system all the way to Jacksonville and include the Kissimee branch all the way to South Bay, and build the Everglade run to Tampa from Miami. So that's 128 miles Miami to Key West, 300 or so Miami to Jacksonville, 290 Miami to Tampa, and the Kissimee branch line is around 180 miles long.

If wondering why so long to get a second Beta it is because it includes more than 80 miles of new main line, 2 primary rail yards, and dozens of towns.

Anyway, I think we will see something from it in 4 - 8 weeks. I am going hard as I can but also working for a living. So, you will have something new to play with soon Otto.

Wanna build some loaders?
    Last edited by Solyne; 11-03-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solyne View Post
    Wanna build some loaders?
    I wish I were younger than 80 and have often thought of having a go at creating objects for Train Simulators, my pal Frank Carver is good at being a bit younger and had a go at creating MSTS tracks with 3D-Canvas.

Would take me years to achieve the kind of perfection I crave for in all I do !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    I wish I were younger than 80 and have often thought of having a go at creating objects for Train Simulators, my pal Frank Carver is good at being a bit younger and had a go at creating MSTS tracks with 3D-Canvas.

Would take me years to achieve the kind of perfection I crave for in all I do !

O t t o
    Yeah, age is more than half my problems. LOL

On the other hand though, it gives me something to do with myself at night.

I recently restarted and revamped my attempt at Norfolk and Southern's Piedmont Division. I say revamped because I purchased ReDem and re-tiled the route using 1/3 ARC data and what a difference it made! Track laying became much easier and terrain details make placing lakes, ponds and creeks much easier and with a more pleasing result. Track has been laid from the Catawaba river SW of Charlotte to just south of High Point, NC. Charlotte yard is complete (and a bear it was). Working on Linwood yard currently. Then I will get to work on the numerous spurs. I have a NS track plan manual with all the other info (spurs, signals, bridges) coming. Once that is done I may release this as a beta without scenics to let people find any errors to correct. I will start tree laying and industry placement afterward. Ultimately I'd like to run this from High Point, NC to Spartanburg, SC (approximately 140 miles) and possibly include the Salisbury to Asheville division as well (maybe even to Sevierville, TN over the Smokies). I am in need of some specialized industries and structures for Charlotte (skyscrapers and Panther stadium) as well as yard towers if anyone would like to contribute.

Wow, when that is finished and the FEC are finished we have only a couple hundred miles to go to link CSX - Piedmont - FEC and we have almost reached New York from Key West...

I am not sure how far from Jacksonville to Spartanburg but it seems like less than a 2 hour drive going through Savannah. Wouldn't that be something to get the Savannah river front in a route, as it passes to Hilton Head.

The train comes right down the middle of the heavily congested cobblestone road that was built in the 17th century. I was there on St Patrick's day, and all the bars and resturaunts were free, and the train was carrying heavy freight coming down the middle of this road at maybe 2 miles and hour, and thousands and thousands of people in the streets and the engineer ringing his bell, blowin his whistle and yellin his head off to get through.

Oh lord was I drunk that night.

united states near starkville mississippi

i love to say that i love your route solyne and ill look forward to running the line when you get through

Quote Originally Posted by shaniahulsey View Post
    i love to say that i love your route solyne and ill look forward to running the line when you get through
    Thank you, I do too actually and would probably a whole lot further along if I was wasn't shunting cars around Key West and driving up to Marathon and unloading and loading up can back again all the time.

That an searching oold photos and stuff, and most recently, I interviewed someone who worked that route from 1923 to the hurricane in 35, Needless to say that was one special talk.

Do you know that the official game of the FEC was Tennis? They had ongoing tournaments at every work camp.