Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop the presses!!!!!!!

Exclamation Stop the presses!!!!!!!

Holy Cow (Sanctus Bos, for you Latins)! I've seen it, but I still don't believe it!

Okay, okay, I'll take my pills and settle down................

Well, after downloading the latest triple-Beta version of the PO&Etc., I skeptically began work on a scenario; at Pallen, of course. I decided to really play things tough, so I laid in a scenario track marker near the turntable, placed an engine a short distance from it and another directly across the turntable. Then I placed a couple of instructions: 1) Drive To the new marker; 2) Trigger telling player to align the TT, drive onto it, turn the engine 180 degrees, pick up the helper engine, and return to the new marker; 3) Consist to couple to the helper engine; 4) Drive To back to the marker.

Fully expecting a crash, I saved all this and................................. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!! Instructions to cross a Turntable not alligned with the player train's track has not been possible before! Is this some Sniper miracle? Let's assume so and give him the credit, okay?

Don't try this at home, kiddies!

Tom Pallen

Default Did he say "48 6f 6c 79 20 43 6f 77"?

Well, not quite done yet, coal mine and Chicago turntables reported not lining up visually, and I found New York Belt Line and Waucapaucashooee (I'm probably spelling that wrong ) turntables had broken paths. Got all fixed except Chicago, which is giving me so many problems I'll probably end up with some of the stalls not used. Turntables are kinda fussy things, takes some tinkering and then you gotta test every exit even if it looks like it's hooked up right, but I'm almost there.

Default Just to toss in a potential monkey wrench;

http://www.humyo.com/F/9455455-1888300897

Beta 6A! Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take what you got now and copy into the newest, see if it works. This post will self destruct in 10 years.

Question Where are the dancing girls?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    http://www.humyo.com/F/9455455-1888300897

Beta 6A! Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take what you got now and copy into the newest, see if it works. This post will self destruct in 10 years.
    I'm likely to self-destruct long before that, Jim, but...well...okay, I'll try it and let you know. The ad for this job said there would be dancing girls. Now, I know I've already got my name in the dirt, but about those dancing girls...?

Tom Pallen

Thumbs down Not a chance!

You get dancing girls and you'll want to go back to Italy, then we'll have to wait longer for them scenarios! Especially if I give you ITALIAN dancing girls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJa1foPcig

Oops.

Wink Accipicchia!

You get dancing girls and you'll want to go back to Italy, then we'll have to wait longer for them scenarios! Especially if I give you ITALIAN dancing girls!

Oops.
    Well, if you're gonna be that way about it! {Actually, you've given me an idea about what to do with some Italian folkdance videos I've shot in Cortona.}

Okay, so I packaged my new scenario, deleted it, deleted the former Beta (Gamma? Delta? we must be halfway to Omega by now!), used RW Tools to really kill it all dead; then I installed the latest Beta, installed the scenario and (hold breath until you turn blue) it works!!!!!

Now I get to go back & add more complications to the scenario!

Tom Pallen

Thumbs up Cool!

Well, I haven't even figured out how to open a BAN file to try to hack it, but someday we'll get a genius with animation who can make the animated figures dance instead of walking back and forth while looking at non existent wristwatches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXeCGBnTQq8

These girls are just walking around in circles, but it's a starting point.

I think I should stay with the same route folder number from here on, the only thing that still concerns me is that InitialSave.xml file you get with scenarios - the purpose of that one is to set switches to a different default position than the route's default, what I'm wondering is if an older one will still work with a newer track database? Provided nothing has changed in the affected area and all the changes have been outside that area it SHOULD work, but we wont know for sure until we try it. Best I recall MSTS had some kind of date thing in the activity headers that returned an error if the track database date didn't match, that was easily fixed by changing something in the .act file, so if it turns out this has something like that we'll need to figure out a fix for it.

Walking in circles not too bad. I need some men with shovels digging, and others loading conveyors with bagage and pineapples, for that matter I need gondolas with pineapples and pineapple plantation vegetation... sheesh, how am I supposed to have THE pinnaple run without one darn-blasted pineapple?

The only thing that still concerns me is that InitialSave.xml file you get with scenarios - the purpose of that one is to set switches to a different default position than the route's default, what I'm wondering is if an older one will still work with a newer track database? Provided nothing has changed in the affected area and all the changes have been outside that area it SHOULD work, but we wont know for sure until we try it. Best I recall MSTS had some kind of date thing in the activity headers that returned an error if the track database date didn't match, that was easily fixed by changing something in the .act file, so if it turns out this has something like that we'll need to figure out a fix for it.
    That has been puzzling me since it was mentioned for the first time.

There must be something in RAM where RW has stored the default path of every switch used by a route as shown in the #9-Map when loading the route, changing paths whenever a switch is being thrown.

When changing paths in a scenario's Scenario Editor they then get saved into it's InitialSave.xml to override the default paths when that scenario is being run.

What happens when manually changing one of these saved in the InitialSave.xml Manual switches. Will it's manually changed path stay that way or not the next time the train is being driven over it in the still running scenario ? Automatic ones can not be set in a Standard Scenario anyway !

I prefer to give a route's switches default paths as discussed in another thread, which apply to all it's Freeroam scenarios and then only set a few to be saved in a scenario's InitialSave.xml, like in your route with it's complicated tracks layout, no other route has as far as I am aware of !

RW knowing how a switch has been set, it should be possible to create a simple signal/indicator which reading it's status can then show it's setting in both directions, facing and trailing.

German railways have such indicators, illuminated at night at track level as well as signal types.

O t t o

Question Further (revoltin') developments...

As I noted earlier, I managed to write a scenario that began with an engine on one side of a turntable not alligned with its track driving onto the TT, turning it 180 degrees (those accomplished through a trigger instruction only) and then coupling (Consist Instruction) to another engine on the other side.

The scenario ended with the pair of engines returning to the scene of the crime, again crossing the turntable (alligned this time, of course), the helper being dropped and the player engine recrossing the TT to its original starting point. All allowed and working well ... until it didn't.

Between the two TT maneuvers came a whole series of Consist, Drive To, and Trigger Instructions that ran just fine ... until they didn't. I also managed to work in two AI trains, which also ran well...one even better than I wanted it to, the other a bit flakey, but not stopping the scenario from completing ... until it didn't.

I started the scenario for what I thought would be a final check. About half-way through, I saved it and quit RW (dinner time). When I restarted RW and chose to continue the scenario, it refused to run because of "many errors" involving the player train. So I dropped into edit mode and discovered that all the Drive To insturctions that had been working perfectly well previously suddenly had "!!!" in their properties boxes--including the scenario starter, which only required the player engine to drive a few meters forward to a scenario-placed marker.

Without changing anything at all, I quit everything, re-booted the computer, and started up again. The scenario still failed to load, but editing indicated that all instructions except the final one, which required the player engine to recorss the alligned turntable to its original starting point, worked perfectly. So, I removed that instruction and the scenario opened without a hitch.

The question here is, why was an instruction that had been perfectly functional previously suddenly block the scenario from loading and, curiouser and curiouser, why did a similar instruction at the start of the scenario still work?

Tom Pallen