Thread: Dead turntables

Default Dead turntables

Perhaps others have already noticed this, but I just observed it for the first time recently: turntables are dead tracks.

Here's what I mean: I was working on a standard (not freeroam, Otto)scenario that began with the player alligning a turntable in front of his engine and then crossing the TT. When I ran this to test it, I watched the Driver's Aid (F3) and noticed that as the engine drove onto the TT's track, information about it and about its destination vanished; once the engine left the TT, the information returned.

The obvious question is whether TT tracks could be made "live" in some way. Accomplishing this is beyond me, but perhaps someone else can figure it out.

Tom Pallen

There's nothing in the Turntable blueprint that would address this, so I'd guess a fix would need action by RSC. As it's a minor fault and the first time anyone has posted about it, I would assume it's not going to be high on their to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by dpgibbons View Post
    There's nothing in the Turntable blueprint that would address this, so I'd guess a fix would need action by RSC. As it's a minor fault and the first time anyone has posted about it, I would assume it's not going to be high on their to-do list.
    I don't think that there is high demand for a Standard scenario to start with using a turntable and Kuju therefore did not bother to code for it, RS.com could not alter now, not making any money out of doing that anyway !

In any case, if using a turntable in a Standard scenario works without showing that it does in the F3 monitor then what is the problem ?

O t t o
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 11-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Red face Here's the prob ...

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    In any case, if using a turntable in a Standard scenario works without showing that it does in the F3 monitor then what is the problem ?

O t t o
    The problem, Otto, is this: Picture a turntable with one approach track and six storage tracks, let's say number 3, sits directly opposite the approach track. At present, a player engine located on the approach track can only be directed to drive to storage track 3; attempting to send it anywhere else results in those dreaded "!!!" in the Drive To properties box. Of course, the reverse is also true: only an engine located on track 3 can be successfully instructed to drive to the approach track.

This is an improvement over RS, in which any attempt to direct a player engine to cross a turntable resulted in "!!!". However, it means that all the other storage tracks remain nothing more than whatnot shelves on which to display engines. It's not an earth-shaking problem, just a moderate frustration and I still hope that some RW tinkerer will find a way to make the track on the TT "live", which would in turn permit it to be labled as a destination track and (I think, at least) make those other storage tracks accessible.

The track on the turntable is -- well -- a piece of track, seemingly like any other. I'm just wondering why it is "invisible", "dead".

Tom Pallen

A turntable is responding to G and Shift-G like a manual switch and a Standard scenario player should be able to operate it if necessary.

To test this I have created a Standard scenario at Pallen, to drive a loco the turntable is not lined up with and all works as is should.

O t t o

Difference is the visible and the actual, you only see one piece of track on the bridge, but what you see is not actually what you're driving on. Go into the world editor and hit the spacebar a few times, drag the track selection tool over any of the multiple invisible tracks in the turntable and you'll see (1) it's essentially a multiple tracked "junction", and (2) it uses a different track rule than the rest of the tracks. Also it's in a different file;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=264093

That one, some kind of glitch shifted every track section in the route up half a meter and over a couple meters in the X and Z axis. The turntables all disconnected because the turntables did NOT shift along with all the other track, because turntables are not part of the regular track database.

At Otto, yeah, that works, but now try starting the engine on one of the tracks that's not connected directly to the exit track - if you need to drive onto the turntable, then stop and rotate it again, that works in free roam but not in a standard scenario. I've been able to get the player service to accept a destination across a turntable provided it's a straight path like that, but I've never been able to get an AI train to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    At Otto, yeah, that works, but now try starting the engine on one of the tracks that's not connected directly to the exit track - if you need to drive onto the turntable, then stop and rotate it again, that works in free roam but not in a standard scenario.
    If you look at my pictures again then you will see that this is exactly what I did, starting the Standard scenario loco on a track which is not connected directly to the turntable and had to line it up with G before driving over it towards it's Standard Scenario destination Portal and past it.

O t t o

Default Nope

It's directly connected when you hit the G key, all you have to do is drive straight across. I'm talking about starting it on one of the other three tracks which don't have a direct connection.

Start with the PO&N FT, hit the G key and the turntable is aligned to go directly across.

With the Chicago Metro FT I hit the G key and get the entrance, but there's no exit track at the other end - I would need to drive onto the turntable and hit SHIFT G twice to align the table with the exit track. That one won't work in a standard scenario because there's no direct path to any destination.

In the world editor I run the track selection tool across the turntable, even tho the bridge track (the part you see) is not aligned, the invisible track section is there. Note the "multiple track rules" in the flyout, turntables will not use anything but the default track rule.

Hit the spacebar to cycle thru track properties, now you can see all the invisible tracks that make up a turntable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.3 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.9 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (83.6 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (90.7 KB, 65 views)

Default Read earlier message, please

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    If you look at my pictures again then you will see that this is exactly what I did, starting the Standard scenario loco on a track which is not connected directly to the turntable and had to line it up with G before driving over it towards it's Standard Scenario destination Portal and past it.

O t t o
    Otto, the track your engine started on is directly across from the track to which it will drive. That's exactly the situation I described as workable!

What does not work is starting the engine on any of the other storage tracks and attempting to issue instructions to drive onto the TT, rotate it to allign with the exit track, and then drive onto that exit track.

Besides that, a player loco in a standard scenario cannot be instructed to drive into a portal.

Tom Pallen

Quote Originally Posted by pallent View Post
    Besides that, a player loco in a standard scenario cannot be instructed to drive into a portal.
    Strange, that's what all my Standard Scenarios player locos do, using them as Destinations. Doing that with AI services is being suggested by the RSDL manuals and nothing on the subject being mentioned for Standard Player services have been using Portals for them too.

Yes, using another track to start this Standard Scenario loco on does not work.

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images