Thread: MSTS on linux anyone

Default MSTS on linux anyone

http://frankoburns.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=7394

Yep. Get a program called Cedega, and you can use that to run MSTS.
    http://www.cedega.com/gamesdb/games/...l?game_id=2932

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    MSTS on linux anyone
    Uh, is "linux anyone" a new distro, or were you asking the question without the question mark?

I know open source software is a point of religion with some people but, on the other hand, it's also been said by people smarter than me that only college students and masochists have the time and inclination to properly configure Linux.

After trying (and passing) on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and a couple other flavors of Linux, I bet it would be even more fun to run emulated MSTS in that environment.

No thanks, I'll run MSTS on Windows for now.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Hi Dave,

I posted 2 links, one for the original article that I found and a second link to the software required to run MSTS under linux.

I am not a linux head, I am a bsd man.

Some may be interested.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Hi Dave,

I am not a linux head, I am a bsd man.

Derek
    I always preferred AIX but to each his own

Rich S.

Ooh, awesome, thanks for the links! Hadn't heard of that tool before, might come in handy! I'm an occasional Linux user (and no, it's really not that difficult, quite on the contrary, you don't even have to install the OS to be able to run it)

Ever since I got my new notebook, a pretty decent machine but alas with Vista, I couldn't get MSTS to give me acceptable frame rates, no matter what I tried so far.

Maybe this can help, unless of course it is a hardware issue.

Thanks!
    Michael

[QUOTE=ftldave;1543150]I bet it would be even more fun to run emulated MSTS in that environment.[QUOTE]

You didn't read, its not emulated.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

I read it. Not sure how running MSTS on Linux via Cedega could not be called an emulated environment since the computer is not running Windows, MSTS's native OS. I noticed that the Cedega screen shots showed a cabview missing all of its graphics except for the controls. That was ugly. Maybe it was an uncompleted cab ... or maybe it was a software glitch. I don't care which it was because I'm not going there.

Yes, most Linux installations can now pass the chimp test. If you can hit the ENTER key a dozen times, it will boot up and run. But my personal experience with it is that tweaking Linux and troubleshooting it for the little things that don't work right is enough to discourage me. Recently I tried the latest distro of Mandriva, and it failed to recognize my test computer's Broadcom network card (a widely used component, very common), something Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and the others handled just fine. Do I need to spend my precious time troubleshooting it? No, I have better things to do. Mandriva failed this chimp's test!

I follow science-fiction author Piers Anthony's blog, and he has tried his very best to run Linux instead of Windows for principle's sake, but even with good technical help he has had a frustrating experience and even lost precious work due to incompatibilities and other technical problems.

I do admire those who have the time and skills to get Linux to do everything they want it to do, and if that includes running MSTS, that's cool. Just not for me, and I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. Like I said before, I think those who promote and run Linux must surely have a religious calling.

This thread probably needs to be in the PC Tech area, right?
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post

This thread probably needs to be in the PC Tech area, right?
    He was talking about it being used with MSTS so either or..... who cares?