Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RW- south shore mu's work in progress

yes, but again, check your sizes.

the windows are beginning to take shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WINDOW CUTOUTS ARE COMPLETED. however, tried to make the front shrouding, ugh, it just looked ugly. therefore, the shroud is ashcanned. plus the car is single ended, so, i guess i can no longer call it the south shore car. maybe i'll call it "THE CHICAGO COMMUTER CAR"!

Default Oh well!

i just learned ( the hard way!) that you cannot convert the .dae file from skechup to 3ds. in blender. evry time i try, i get a blank. now mind you this is with a file from the standard version of google sketchup. i will wait a few weeks and buy the proffesional version which has 3ds capability. how much? $495 we shall see!

Nick,

I don’t know if this will be of help... or not... but a new (free) CAD program (being touted as the closest thing to AutoCAD LT(with limitations of course))... ImsiDesign’s ‘DoubleCAD XT’ will import (direct from SU) .SKP files. From which, according to the blurbs, you can export as DWG & DFX files. Maybe these paths will work better in your attempt.

I’ve downloaded the program, but haven’t had an occasion to play with it yet.

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx

Best luck,
    Bob
    Last edited by CARex; 11-22-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CARex View Post
    Nick,

I don’t know if this will be of help... or not... but a new (free) CAD program (being touted as the closest thing to AutoCAD LT(with limitations of course))... ImsiDesign’s ‘DoubleCAD XT’ will open (direct from SU) .SKP files. From which one, according to the blurbs, you can export as DWG & DFX files. Maybe these paths will work better in your attempt.

I’ve downloaded the program, but haven’t had an occasion to play with it yet.

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx

Best luck,
    Bob
    I just downloaded this, and will have to look at the details, but it does look like a useful app to have on your system. Since this is a 2D application, it should be useful for generating documentation, multi-view drawings, etc. for a Sketchup building project. It would have to be used in conjunction with Sketchup or other 3D application, which would actually generate the 3D models, unless there is something I am missing.

Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by madoke View Post
    ....It would have to be used in conjunction with Sketchup or other 3D application, which would actually generate the 3D models, unless there is something I am missing.

Doug.
    Doug,

Sounds like you’ve got it right.

One is (supposed to be) able to import DWG files into SU 7.0. I’ve never had the occasion, so I can’t speak with certainty. The new SU 7.1 version, will not import DWG files. However, currently and for a ‘limited time only’ Google is offering a ‘Plugin’ (at the SU website) which allows importing of DWG files. Which you will need as DoubleCad does not export SKP files.

Near as I have determined… ‘DoubleCad’ appears to be offering similar functionality that is typically found in ‘Layout’ (the 2D feature of SU PRO). I’ve got to play with them both before drawing any more presumptions.

Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

Default thanks

a heartfelt thankyou goes out to you both, doug and bob. i will down load this and see if i could use it, it could never hurt to try.

HERE YE, HERE YE,
    i found that the sketchup 7 pro can export to blender as well as 3dcanvas, as you can
    see . and this is with no changes in sizes. yea!!!
    Last edited by nickol; 12-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.

THE things that i have learned! now i understand the term "vertices". i experimented with paint from 3dc, then sent the model to pov for "baking". very interesting process, to say the least i, of course, will continue to experiment with "the paint".