Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Route Templates

Default Route Templates

Gonna do the basic basics for those who are still having trouble getting started here. It's possible but tedious to set up a new route blueprint using the asset editor, but the easiest way is to get RW_Tools V2;

http://www.rstools.info/page9.html

And use the new Direct Route Setup utility.

Click there, choose either US or European (primarily that locks you into a terrain texture set), make sure if you're in the USA you put a minus sign in front of the longitude. Enter the longitude and latitude, then whatever name you want for the template, this does not have to be the same as the route name.

When you get this, exit RW_Tools and start the railworks launcher.

Select the Tools and Docs tab, then click the Clear Cache button to force railworks to read your new addition.

Create new route, check that your new template is in the list, and select it.

Download the matching DEM data from http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2...North_America/ and unzip. Make a new folder in railworks (NOT railworks\assets, directly in the main railworks folder) name it DEM. Open the \Railworks\DEM folder and make another folder inside that, name it SRTM. Copy your .hgt files into \Railworks\DEM\SRTM. Check in game, look at the compass - make sure the numbers match, and doublecheck if your area is west of Greenwich (all of North America is west) that there's a minus sign in front of the longitude.

That's the first one for practice, play around and DEM by selecting the house icon in the upper left flyout and hit the T key, move over a couple tiles and hit it again. If the terrain don't come up, download the adjacent number .hgt files and try again.

After you got that and you're comfortable with it, try making a new template with the advanced feature so you can do markers and loading screens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.8 KB, 199 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (11.6 KB, 194 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (21.9 KB, 2370 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (40.3 KB, 190 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (91.9 KB, 192 views)

Default And furthermore...

Just did a check on this, since I keep forgetting - those .hgt files have the starting point at the southwest corner of that quad.

So if I have the N40W078.hgt file and only that one file, what I get is everything from -78 down to -77 longitude, and from 40 up to 41 latitude. I think this is where a lot of people get confused, if I'm looking for a location that's 40.41 -78.34, I need the N40W079.hgt file to DEM that particular spot. I guess that's due to the longitude being negative numbers, down is actually up.
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (31.7 KB, 191 views)

What I'm going to do on my next days off is just bulk download every single hgt file from that site and toss them all in there to cover everything for now and future routes.

Smile

Jim,

This is a really useful tutorial. Thanks, it got me off my duff and doing some creation..

Now, having just created a route template (Spokane Central) according to the steps above, using SRTM data for N47W117 (47...-117), which is near Spokane, Washington, The SRTM data was installed into the ...asset\DEM\SRTM folder.

I think I did something wrong. I opened up the route in the "new route" section of Railworks, named it Spokane Central, and checked my location. Location checks out. Unfortunately, what I see is nothing but a flat plain. . Spokane is in a mountainous area. Shouldn't I be seeing some elevation in the landscape, with local hills sticking up in front of me? I have attached a topo map to show what I should be seeing.

The actual location of the city of Spokane is closer to N47.37.12 and W -117.31.15. Using the compass I went to that exact location and still flat land. Is there another step that needs to be taken to build the elevations according to the SRTM data? The RW manuals, of course, offer nothing for route building from scratch with SRTM data that I could find.

Any further light on the subject sure would be halpful. Thanks again.

Doug

Press the T key. Then again, and again as you move from one tile to the next. Terrain will probably fly above you. Just fly up up to it.

Just remember to drag your freeroam scenario marker up with you

edit: Make sure you're in the right menu in the editor (click the house icon) then press T
    Last edited by styckx; 11-22-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Smile

Thanks for the info. I fired off the T key as you mentioned, and the tile shot up as you said. Unfortunately I can't get enough altitude to get up on top of the monolith. Next?

Doug

Couple items, a quote from the coconut;

Make a new folder in railworks (NOT railworks\assets, directly in the main railworks folder) name it DEM

Should be in \Railworks\DEM\SRTM folder, NOT \Railworks\Assets\DEM\SRTM.

Second thing, if the monolith is too high you won't be ably to raise the view up level with it on the flat plain since the camera is tethered to a maximum altitude above the terrain. Fix for that, fly your view into the side of the monolith, now you're underground, now you can fly up to above the higher ground level. Stay above the higher terrain as you move around hitting the T key and you won't have to do it again.

Or get ReDem (payware,not much) and you don't have to hit the T key on each tile. I like it better and thought it was worth the money.

Smile

Jim, thanks for the input. Actually I mis-stated the location of the SRTM files. I did have DEM under Railworks, and SRTM under DEM. Good point, though, and could help others.

To Kin__3, I got ReDEM, and will try the same task again using that tool. Thanks for the info.

Isn't it amazing how little of this basic information for the creative process is not covered in the "official" documentation. Not much different than MSTS. Hopefully, as with MSTS, the users will over time generate the "complete" documentation for creators as we go along. I have several 3 ring binders of user generated documentation for MSTS. Now that I have been sticking my toe into the creative waters of RW, I am beginning to understand why so many comments in other threads talk about RW being too complex, and thus don't adopt the sim. Its not complex, its just still a mystery due to lack of information. I think that this forum is doing a terrific service for the US side in providing information, guidance, and some humor as we continue this process of discovery. And Jim, I have to take my hat off to you for your energy and especially your humor in taking the chances and leaning over the edge of the cliff with no fear to see what is beyond that will make the whole scene clearer. (Keep that parachute handy!)

Thanks to all.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by madoke View Post
    Isn't it amazing how little of this basic information for the creative process is not covered in the "official" documentation.
    Oh it is, but it reads like like a programmer wrote it.. Oh wait

It's really not written in any form someone just trying to get into route building would understand. It's written very vaguely.

It basically goes like this

"Create your developer folder"

"Ok next, open blue print editor and fill in the blanks"

*wave magic wand*

"Enjoy your new template."
    Last edited by styckx; 11-22-2009 at 04:51 PM.