Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: assets disappear/invisible

Default assets disappear/invisible

Just messing around with the route editor in RW. I notice some assets I have placed will appear invisible or disappear when I go to test run the route. What causes this and can it be fixed?

I've noticed this, and in the editor if you mouse over them they will appear. Only thing you can do is delete it and replace it.

I think it has to do with stacking assets in tight groups and areas close or on top of each other. I've noticed this most with forests and clusters of grass etc.

Click on Options, Graphical Detail, check the scenery detail slider is all the way to the right.

If that is set anywhere other than 10, any object with a detail level less than 10 will not be visible in game.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (50.3 KB, 149 views)

Hmm. Can I use this slider to tone down your PO&CM Jim, or are all your objects set to 10? That route seem to KILL my frame rates with so much scenery. Only time I ever get above 14 fps is in the desolate areas between the good bits. But I love playing that route so much. Iv hardly touched any others since I downloaded it haha! Hope your not upset but I also upped the PO&N's budget and laid a "few" more miles of track! I like hilly, mountain routes so I had to add some nice 3-3.5% climbs past St. Marys and the Shea Mine wye!

Default No idea

I got the same problem, 14 jerks per second in Chicago, but I like eye candy so much I never turned the slider down to see what would drop out. Age old problem, with MSTS I left the detail and quality all the way up, turned the visibility down so it only loaded stuff near the train. I will work on tweaking it eventually, there are some new city block objects that railsim didn't have, so possibly I can make it so it still looks like a big crowded city without tanking framerates.

Smile

Thanks! I figured it would be something simple like that!

Ya thats what I have done is turned the view distance down a notch. I could run MSTS fine with everything cranked up but this computer is starting to get a little to old to run some of the 3rd party RW routes on full blast. Im only running 1023x768 resolution also. I tried the 800x600 but then you can hardly read any text.

I can go from 14 fps in PO&CM to 100 fps on Tennesee Pass beta 6, when in areas with little to no scenery yet hahaha! But its kinda boring driving thru no-mans land.

Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    I've noticed this, and in the editor if you mouse over them they will appear. Only thing you can do is delete it and replace it.

I think it has to do with stacking assets in tight groups and areas close or on top of each other. I've noticed this most with forests and clusters of grass etc.
    wrong.....sniper's answer is the correct one..
    if any items detail level is lower than the set GFX deatil slider, then they won't appear

is why....

cheers

Even the same assets? They have different levels of detail for the same asset?

I've planted big fields of long grass. Only later to spot a bare spot. When I move over and run my mouse across the bare spot you can see grass assets flicker in and out. I can hover on one, it stays visible, i can click on it, move it around, but soon as I place it, it will disappear again. Deleting it, and placing the same exact asset and it stays visible.

Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    Even the same assets? They have different levels of detail for the same asset?

I've planted big fields of long grass. Only later to spot a bare spot. When I move over and run my mouse across the bare spot you can see grass assets flicker in and out. I can hover on one, it stays visible, i can click on it, move it around, but soon as I place it, it will disappear again. Deleting it, and placing the same exact asset and it stays visible.
    Much has been said on the subject of the visibility of objects and how the RW graphics engine deals with them.

What is the point of having different visibility levels in a simulator which prevents some objects from being shown ?

I want so see EVERYTHING at ALL distances and if a program can not do that then it is likely to be canned ! I

*%#&@$#! it, this is almost 2010 computing and graphics technology !

O t t o
    Last edited by sniper297; 12-02-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: *%#&@$#! crackdown