Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offset tracks

Default Offset tracks

This doesn't seem possible, so asking away here incase there is a work around.

I want to use the offset tool to lay track parrell to the track I've already put down in spots, but it seems you can not do that.

So, what would be a way I could achieve the same effect without manually laying a parallel track next to what I've laid already?

I know I should have layed dual tracks initially but I just wanted to get the general track line down then go back and do all the expansions off that once I knew the track plan I put down would stay.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    This doesn't seem possible, so asking away here incase there is a work around.

I want to use the offset tool to lay track parrell to the track I've already put down in spots, but it seems you can not do that.

Seems to be a common issue with the design of the RW editors. You have the same issue with a switch that doesn't get formed properly, or loses its form due to a change in the track elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be a way to repair or modify something you have already laid down. It seems that the only solution is to rip it out and start over. Pretty frustrating experience, to say the least. It would be great if you could click on the existing track and choose "parallel" and the track would suddenly have its parallel twin. It would be great if you have a malformed switch and you could just click on the switch elements and hit a "repair" key and the switch returns to its formed condition.

Its not what we have, so we just keep plugging along hoping for a better future.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by madoke View Post
    Seems to be a common issue with the design of the RW editors. You have the same issue with a switch that doesn't get formed properly, or loses its form due to a change in the track elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be a way to repair or modify something you have already laid down. It seems that the only solution is to rip it out and start over. Pretty frustrating experience, to say the least. It would be great if you could click on the existing track and choose "parallel" and the track would suddenly have its parallel twin. It would be great if you have a malformed switch and you could just click on the switch elements and hit a "repair" key and the switch returns to its formed condition.

Its not what we have, so we just keep plugging along hoping for a better future.

Doug
    Eh, worth asking rite? But you're absolutely right though. It would be nice if we could do all that. Would cut down on the cussing out, and delete, replace, delete replace, delete, replace, FINALLY IT LOOKS RIGHT!
    Oh well, I'll make due with what I have. Thanks man.

Smile

Just another comment. You wouldn't have these problems if every RW software developer was required to build at least 2 working, full size, sales ready routes with all assets prior to getting the stamp of approval on their programming. The company would have several good routes to sell, and the user interface would not be so kludgy because the programmers would get just as frustrated as we do and would fix the issues just to make their own jobs easier.

I came out of the high tech manufacturing world, and we often required the design engineers to leave their ivory tower labs to work in the factory to learn what works in the real world and how to design so that the mfg. process was easier and cheaper, which is not always the way engineers have a tendency to design if left to their own devices. We would send the first few units off the production line to be delivered to a customer along with a few design engineers, and the engineers had to unpack, and get the thing working themselves, which usually really improved the installation manuals, and often led to design changes that made it easier for the user to run the machine.

Food for thought.

While I'm asking questions.

I copied my route over to a fresh install of RW's. No errors, RW_Tools checks it clean as a whistle. Winter textures refuse to show up. I got it to show up once but even in winter, with snow, all the grass is staying green.

Any ideas?

I agree, the ability to not offset tracks is RETARDED. What I do is use the offset tool to plop down a fence or something where I want my offset track to lay, then use the snap to track function and you can snap a track to the fence. Takes a little screwing around to get the snap to work right sometimes but this is the best way Iv found. Then just delete the fence when you get your track in. Wouldnt it be much simpler to just let us offet tracks? I dont understand it.

Iv never had problems with messing up switches after iv laid them thou. Are you screwing them up with the gradient tool or something?

I have no idea how winter textures are supposed to work in this game. I cant imagine your supposed to create a 2nd route with all snow textures? Especially as Iv only seen one snow texture to paint on the ground.

No, when you change it to winter all trees, scenery, and (most) ground textures are supposed to auto switch to have a snow effect.

My route on a clean install of RW's refuses to show the winter textures. Or any season for that matter for my route. Works for default, but not mine.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tro1086 View Post

Iv never had problems with messing up switches after iv laid them thou. Are you screwing them up with the gradient tool or something?
    After being an observer and user since RS and RW came out I am finally biting the bullet and starting to make my own route. I have been practicing track laying on a test route before I jump into the real thing. Once a switch is created I find that an accidental move of the track attached to the switch, even if it is replaced back where it belongs, puts the switch back in a partially formed condition; i.e., the switch is there, but the frogs are missing. I have often laid switches, added track, and moved off down the right of way and then gone back and found already laid switches in this same condition. Only removing and relaying the switch seems to solve the problem. I don't know if the missing frogs keep the switch from actually working; i.e., a train can pass without error. May be just a visual issue, not functional. Not sure.

Probably missed copying some of the *wi.TgPcDx files or something over to the mini route installation. As for track;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showpo...50&postcount=2

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=285493

For this one;

I had one long single track section, so I split that and chopped out a piece, layed a new doubletrack section, then continued a single track from the short piece of parallel. Grabbed that and slid it over to one side, made another and slid that over, then deleted the original stubby parallel. Dragged switches from the original mainline to the new sidings, deleted the excess to make curves instead of switches on the sidings themselves, and welded. You can also select any section of track, CTRL C copies it, CTRL V to paste it, then use the make switch / delete excess / weld method to connect it all up. Second part of this thread;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=287479

Covers that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (65.0 KB, 70 views)