Thread: excluding assets through object filter

Default excluding assets through object filter

By reading in the forum here I now know how to add assets using the 'object set filter,' however I can't 'uncheck' any of the assets, to exclude them. Any way to do that?

For example, making a scenario for a US route, I'd rather not have to go through the list of European locomotives when selecting an engine. I figured I could use the 'object set filter' to exclude them, but apparently no.

Quote Originally Posted by gwgardner View Post
    By reading in the forum here I now know how to add assets using the 'object set filter,' however I can't 'uncheck' any of the assets, to exclude them. Any way to do that?
    Filtered Objects Asset folders can be unticked by deleting their paragraphs in the route's RouteProperties.xml.

But doing that to the default Kuju\RailSimulator and Kuju\RailSimulatorUS folders would make all they contain unusable.

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images

RW_Tools also has a gadget for that, select the Route Building Tools tab, then "Edit Providers", you can untick some or all of the preload data for any route. Otto's method is faster as long as you're comfortable editing XML files and make sure you don't leave blank spaces or orphaned characters in the file.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it would be unwise to exclude anything without knowing all the dependencies, especially with scenery objects.

Don't you have a problem here. If you remove the reference to an asset folder in a route ALL assets within that folder are removed for that route. If you remove the files for that particular asset within the assets folder ALL instances of that asset are blocked for ALL routes. If you were diligent you could remove the references (<Component> section) to the target asset in the Scenery BIN files and only the target asset would be removed for a particular place, or places, in a route. Much more surgical. That would need a Mike Simpson program unless you were very dedicated.
    Regards,
    Dick

What you need is an option to exclude selected assets, regardless of source. For example, the station name signs are route specific and just get in the way scrolling through looking for something that is of use for your own project.

Talking First, learn to use a computer...

Hee-hee, that's where experience comes in handy. Biggest problem is when Windows 95 first came out they changed the name of the Windows File Manager to Windows Explorer, implying that tool is for "exploring" rather than managing files.

This is a real PITA, hit the S key and have to scroll past all them German signals to get to the shorts. Gotta have the Kuju Railsimulator filter ON because I use a lot of European assets, what to do? Windows Explorer (FILE MANAGER! ), make a default backup folder (DIRECTORY! ), move the \Assets\Kuju\RailSimulator\RailNetwork\Signals folder from the Railworks folder to the backup and clear the blueprint cache.

Takes all them pesky furriners out of the list, and if I someday get the urge to run a European route all I have to do is copy it back in and clear the cache. I also went into all the default routes, renamed the RouteProperties.xml in each one to RouteProperties.txt, that declutters the route selection list so the BEST route (MINE! ) is the only one in the list. If you have a high speed connection (I don't ) you don't even need to make backups, just delete whatever files, sets of files, or even complete folders for stuff you never use and you can get it back just by running "Verify integrity of game cache" from the STEAM launcher.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (87.6 KB, 46 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.9 KB, 46 views)

Just be careful to not toss those weirdly named assets. A backup Asset folder ( many gigabytes) has saved my bacon. Some of that stuff comes with a new route so you may have a problem recovering it due to an unfamiliar source. Then you have the people who put things in the Kuju area which Steam happily cleans when you verify integrity on their site. Hmmm, integrity and Steam??
    Regards,
    Dick