Thread: num 4 view

Default num 4 view

hi, just wanted to know what id have to change in my camcfg file to get a view to see the whole train pass by.

Hi,

This aspect of camera behaviour is actually hard-coded into the .exe. So, you'll rather need to get one of the inofficial recent patches (also known as MSTS bin - see that forum for a link to downloads) since one of the improvements made by MSTS bin 1.7 and later is that the Nbr. 4 "spotter camera" stays in place until the entire train has passed by. MSTS bin also gives you more flexibility with the other camera views (possibility to zoom much further out and much closer in than default etc.), among many other improvements to the program's performance and stability.

Cheers,
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

I enjoy the spotter cam (#4) view, especially a perspective from about six feet above the terrain -- approximately what an observer would see from a normal vantage point near the track.

Most of the time I can get this view in the spotter cam within just a couple of presses of the 4 key.

But on some sections of track, the view never switches to a low level regardless of how many times I press the 4 key. This occurs for me on almost the entire L & PS route, for example. I've also noticed it start to happen after doing some terrain editing on my own route -- normal sequence of spotter views for the area before editing, only high-level views after editing.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there any rational explanation for why it happens?

(Of course I can always adjust the camera with Ctrl-Arrow Down, but that gets old pretty quickly.)

-JF-

Hi JF,

that often happens when the track is somewhat elevated above the terrain underneath it, e.g. in curves on grades, when the track runs on a berm (might be the case with LP&S where Wayne's custom track shapes themselves come with some kind of berm included), crosses a trestle, etc.

It also tends to happen on some routes in shallow curves (radius 1000m or more) that are flat on the terrain as they should be, for which phenomenon I don't have an explanation...
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

i've had bin for awhile now, but still dont have that view.

Hi man2020

it's a modification introduced with one of the later versions of bin. Which version do you use, is it the most current one?

I'm aware that MSTS bin 1.6.1022 (stable release) doesn't have the improved (longer staying) Nbr 4 view yet. It's one of the changes made somewhere after 1.6.1022.

The latest versions of MSTS bin definitely have the Number 4 view stay on the train until the last car has passed by: I have a number of themed MSTS mini-installs, some of which run bin 1.6.1022 and some of which run bin 1.8.0521 (and one even runs the original MSTS 1.4., for compatibility testing). All installs use the same camcfg.dat, but the spotter cam only stays all the way to the rear end with the installs running the newer versions of bin.

Cheers,
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie