Thread: Lost again

Default Lost again

Finally got a world started , but the only track sections to place seem to be yard peices, theres a hell of a lot of track peices listed but there not there, do I need to download track from somewhere now?

Thanks..

Did you download the ROUTE BUILDERS EDITION of X-Tracks? If not it is available in the file library.

John

yes I did, twice now and the only track pieces are still the same..in the track selection in objects.

Default post subject

Hi, Have you got this.
    This is the Bible for Route Builders so I am told.

Regards

Ron P
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-19-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    " To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
    Paul Ehrlich

With MSTS, there is a single file which governs every single track and road piece available. That file is the tsection.dat file. Because every track piece must have a unique ID number, there's a Standardized tsection.dat file that's maintained to ensure there are no colllisions between different track piece authors.

Unforutnately, MSTS lists every single track piece that's included in the tsection.dat file, whether you actually ahve the files for that track piece or not. There are several track packages to choose from, the most common seeming to be X-Tracks, ScaleRail, UKFineScale, and M-Tracks. Most people do not have a majority of them, and since they're organized by filename, it's pretty simple to quickly recongize which track pieces you have and which you do not. If you want to use or if a route you install requires one of those packages, it's obviously necessary to have it installed.

However, if you choose, Route Riter can generate a customized tsection.dat file for your installation that only includes the files you actually have. That might be your best bet to avoid fumbling through the whole list. But if you do that, keep in mind that you 1) should save (backup) your current, standardized tsection.dat file, 2) will need to re-perform the custom tsection.dat procedure in the future if you add any additional track or road packages or install any routes that require them.

Thanks people !!!, I uninstalled everything and did a fresh start , at least now there are more than twelve pieces of track to choose from, but it seems like all the files with concrete in them seem to be missing, is it safe to delete the refrence to them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
    It seems like all the files with concrete in them seem to be missing, is it safe to delete the reference to them ?
    Don't mess with the GLOBAL\Tsection.dat, the next update of it replacing a moded one.

Just ignore tracks listed in it you do not have in your GLOBAL\SHAPES folder when browsing their list in the Route Editor, or downloaded them from their creators if you intend to use them.

O t t o

Train Store can help you here. It can change the Global Tsection.dat file depending on the route you have un-stored. Simple to set up.
    Regards,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
    I uninstalled everything and did a fresh start , at least now there are more than twelve pieces of track to choose from, but it seems like all the files with concrete in them seem to be missing, is it safe to delete the reference to them ?
    The files may not be missing--the textures may be.

Remember that with track and road shapes, the shapes themselves (.s and .sd files) must be in the Global\Shapes folder, but the textures (.ace) must in the route's Textures folder. That is because the shapes can be "global" to all routes, but the textures are customizable per-route. If you don't have the proper textures in place for a shape, then you won't be able to place it. Shape File Viewer can tell you which textures a shape calls for by using the View, Textures command.

In any rate, hand-editing the tsection.dat file is definitely an "advanced" thing. I wouldn't if I were you, too easy to mess up, and if you don't have a backup.... boom!