Thread: Maps or Guides?

Default Maps or Guides?

I've searched but can't find any maps/guides to the various default routes - or any RW route. Craig Kawahara created wonderful guides for MSTS - has anyone done this for RW? Or is anyone planning to do so?

Thanks,
    Barry

The way maps were made with MSTS was to open the route in the activity editor and hit the Print Screen key. I don't think anyone ever felt the need for route maps in railsim/railworks because you can hit the #9 key ingame at any time to bring up the map and set your path, zoom in and scroll around to see whatever you want.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=283404

If you're running full screen and want to make an actual printable map;

http://fly.to/mwgfx/

MultiGrab can be set to capture a bunch of screenshots, bring up the map by hitting the #9 key, then scroll around and zoom in however tight you want and hit the Print Screen key as many times as needed. Exit the game, open the images saved in the MultiGrab folder and stitch them together.

Default Here we go again!

Quote Originally Posted by drbarryk View Post
    I've searched but can't find any maps/guides to the various default routes - or any RW route. Craig Kawahara created wonderful guides for MSTS - has anyone done this for RW? Or is anyone planning to do so?

Thanks,
    Barry
    There are excellent guides by Kevin R. Wilson-Smith available free of charge at http://railworksamerica.com/fl/d-t.html for the Colton & Northern and Rascal & Cottonwood routes. Anyone wishing to fill the gap for other routes should study these first! Nothing I ever saw for an MSTS route even came close to these guides--although a certain Brit of palindromic name will no doubt dispute this claim.

Tom Pallen

Default Thanks for the guide guidance

Incredibly well done guides/schematics. Thanks for responding to my acutal question which was about external guides - screen shots from the route editor or 2D map for MSTS and RW are far less useful than the kind of guides Craig Kawahara made for so many MSTS routes. His were masterful to MSTS and I use them all the time. It's encouraging to see some fine minds and hands are doing likewise for RW.

Thanks so much, Tom.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by drbarryk View Post
    Incredibly well done guides/schematics. Thanks for responding to my acutal question which was about external guides - screen shots from the route editor or 2D map for MSTS and RW are far less useful than the kind of guides Craig Kawahara made for so many MSTS routes. His were masterful to MSTS and I use them all the time. It's encouraging to see some fine minds and hands are doing likewise for RW.

Thanks so much, Tom.

Barry
    You're more than welcome, Barry! I really appreciate those guides when I sit down to write scenarios for the Colton & Northern, and I've thought about trying to put together something similar for the Castle Rock route and some of the smaller 3rd-party routes, such as the MC&SA, that offer lots of services for switching and loading/unloading. The difficulty would be putting together a really comprehensive package like those created by Wilson-Smith, which include detailed charts of inductries and the type of rolling stock appropriate to them.

I have to say, however, that I find the 2D map available in RW and the possibility of providing scenario instructions on screen much more convenient than the stacks of paper track diagrams and scenario instructions I used to have to keep around while using MSTS.

Regards,

Tom Pallen