Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost the ability to compress/uncompress

Default Lost the ability to compress/uncompress

When I moved to Vista, I lost the ability to use Paul Gausden's Shape File Manager (SFM). No matter, I could still compress/uncompress in Route Riter.

Well, I installed the latest version of Route Riter (7.5.39 for Vista and Windows 7) and now I can't compress/uncompress in Route Riter also.

I'm forced to move models to a memory stick, then compress/uncompress on my XP laptop.

A PITA!

Any suggestions (besides install XP on my home computer )

Thanks

Rick

Default ability to compress/uncompress

Its not vista.
    SFM working ok on my Vista machine.If it were me I'd delete all remnants of old SFM redownload and reinstall SFM because its simple to do. Then make sure its in the utils/ffedit folder.Or use archibald.
    Last edited by cicatrix; 12-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Where do you have it installed?

Default Sfm

In the train simulator/utils/ffedit folder
    also latest RR is 7.5.45
    Last edited by cicatrix; 12-30-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Hi Rick

Have you tried Archibald to un/recompress a file (or Zipper for directories)? Don't know if they will work in Vista or not but always worth a try...

GaryG

Gary,
    What is Archibald and where can we get it?

Bob

I found it from one of Otto's replies: tk_utils.zip
    Just in case someone else wants to know.

Bob Edwards

Default archibald

A file search for archibald in the library would have worked.

Not sure if this will work with Vista, but scroll down to "Right Click Options for S files" on this page:

http://www.highworth.freeuk.com/mstsmisc.htm

Once installed and configured, it adds options to the right click menu. Right click on the shape and select Compress which will uncompress the file. Do it again to compress it (or vice-versa )

Born and raised in Brooklyn N.Y., now live in Hamilton Township, N.J., USA.

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    Not sure if this will work with Vista, but scroll down to "Right Click Options for S files" on this page:

http://www.highworth.freeuk.com/mstsmisc.htm

Once installed and configured, it adds options to the right click menu. Right click on the shape and select Compress which will uncompress the file. Do it again to compress it (or vice-versa )
    Fair warning, it is tricky to set up in XP Pro SP3! I had it working, but it isn't now.

***It's working now, go figure!***

This is from an email I attempted to send to Paul explaining how I got it to work.

Hello Paul! I want to thank you for your various Shape file accessing/manipulating utilities. I also wanted to let you know how I was able to get the right-click options installed and working in XP Pro, SP3. After changing drive references to match my system, I followed your directions to the letter, but it wouldn't work. I checked your problems section, and started to check the .s file properties, in the Tools>Folder Options>File Types Tab>S(MSTS Shape), then I deleted the existing Compress, and PolyCount. I checked Edit (the Action), it was fine, so I did nothing with it. I tried, with no luck to use Edit (the button) on the Edit File Type box, on Compress, and PolyCount, it would not open up. So I deleted them to start over. I tried creating new Actions using your lines of data following the action, by copy/paste, still wouldn't work. Then I looked at the .reg file. In particular
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sfile\shell\Compress\command]
    @="\"E:\\Program files\\Microsoft Games\\Train Simulator\\UTILS\\FFEDIT\\ffeditclick.bat\" "%1""
    & [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sfile\shell\PolyCount\command]
    @="WSCRIPT.EXE \"E:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Train Simulator\\UTILS\\FFEDIT\\polycounter.vbs\" "%1""
    Note the two " after the %1, to
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sfile\shell\Compress\command]
    @="\"E:\\Program files\\Microsoft Games\\Train Simulator\\UTILS\\FFEDIT\\ffeditclick.bat\" "%1"
    & [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sfile\shell\PolyCount\command]
    @="WSCRIPT.EXE \"E:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Train Simulator\\UTILS\\FFEDIT\\polycounter.vbs\" "%1"
    Note that I deleted the extra ". Clicked on it to install it in the registry, following all prompts. I then went back in to Tools>Folder Options>File Types Tab>S(MSTS Shape), Then I Checked Compress and renamed it as Compress/Uncompress, tested it, viola it worked! I also set Compress/Uncompress as the Default action. Next I tackled the PolyCount action, but could not get Windows to accept a VBS file to accept in the "Application" references. Then I got an idea, since it would accept a .bat file, I created a batch file (cd "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\UTILS\FFEDIT"
    cscript polycounter.vbs %1 ---Name it PolyCount.bat---) using the internet for the proper method. When I tested it a dos window and another window with a field requiring a filename would open, when I put the filename in the field, both windows closed with no messages or information whatsoever. Then I got the idea to use %1, tested it, viola it worked too! I tested each action in order, Compress/Uncompress>Edit>PolyCount>Compress/Uncompress, the only hitch is, since I use Shape View to open a shape file, the icons are the same as Shape View, when using Edit, I have to use the Open With function. I don't mind this! I no longer have to navigate to the shape file in Shape File Manager, which is great! I thought that you should know this, so that you might help others having my problems to get them to work.
    Thanks Again!!

NOTE: You may need to edit the .reg files to match your system. Also, I have mini-routes on my D drive, any .s files there will not Uncompress, etc., so I created a subdirectory UTILS\FFEDIT\TEMP in my main MSTS installation on the E drive. I copied the .s file from my trains folder in the mini-route to the TEMP directory to Compress/Uncompress, Edit or get the PolyCount.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GG12332; 12-31-2009 at 04:55 AM.
    Thanks in Advance! Sincerely,
    Joseph "Joe" Anthony Marchetti

Please visit my LinkedIn page at http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephamarchetti and recommend me. Suggestions welcomed!