Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seligman Update 1.1 "Product Not Found"

Default Seligman Update 1.1 "Product Not Found"

Hi all,

Well, I solved the anti-virus problems I had with Streamlines and MLT .exe files being seen as carrying the "gert.dll" virus, but now I've got another, more perplexing problem. When I execute the Sel_Update_1_1.exe file to update my atsf_seligman route, the executable comes back with the message "Product not found. Please re-install before running the update." Hmmm ...

So I uninstalled Seligman and re-installed again. Ran the update executable and it *still* couldn't find it!! I opened up the atsf_seligman.trk file to make sure that the RouteID was what it should be, and sure enough, it was listed as "atsf_seligman").

Has *anyone* run this file successfully? Does anyone have any ideas? I noted that another user, ForestHillsRob, posted the exact same problem here, so it's not just me or my computer.

Regards,

Dave

Did you download the route or by the CD? Streamlines site says "Please Note: Customers who have purchased the download only version of the BNSF Scenic Route product do not require this patch."
    Charles

Hi Charlie,

I saw the message, but it's evidently only for the BNSF scenic route, not the Seligman, which indeed has some missing files (there's a missing service, for example). I did do the download from their website. I doubt I'll get this to run if nobody here knows the solution, as I've found it near impossible to get answers from Streamlines (though I love their products and now own both of their routes, which I highly recommend).

Cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Hi Charlie,

I saw the message, but it's evidently only for the BNSF scenic route, not the Seligman, which indeed has some missing files (there's a missing service, for example). I did do the download from their website. I doubt I'll get this to run if nobody here knows the solution, as I've found it near impossible to get answers from Streamlines (though I love their products and now own both of their routes, which I highly recommend).

Cheers,

Dave
    OOPS Thats what I get for answering a post while watching the Cowboys & Eagles.
    Charles

Not quite sure what is going on there. I have just run my copy of the update to see if I had the same problem. All it did was act like a normal installer. The Registry path to MSTS was showing. So I clicked the Install button and it went and did the job. Seligman was in store at the time so no trk file showing.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Not quite sure what is going on there. I have just run my copy of the update to see if I had the same problem. All it did was act like a normal installer. The Registry path to MSTS was showing. So I clicked the Install button and it went and did the job. Seligman was in store at the time so no trk file showing.
    Hi Baldwin,

I strongly suspect that McAfee did something somewhere in the O/S that prevents the executable from "seeing" my installation. This has happened to me before, and the only solution (that is, the only easy solution) was for me to do a reinstall of the O/S. When I did that, and before I installed the AV software, I ran some executables (which, coincidentally, were SLI rolling stock addons!) without a glitch.

Unfortunately I was careless and executed the update patch the first time with the AV "OnAccess Scan" feature on. That triggered the change. In one sense it actually is rather ingenious on McAfee's part; thinking it sees a virus it permanently brands the file a rogue and prevents it from reaching its intended target. Unfortunately, it does this for legitimate threats as well as our hapless little file here. Oh well ...

Here's an interesting tangent: both of the executables for SLI's downloadable routes present no problem at all; whatever is in the executables of this patch and their rolling stock addons that makes AV software see a "virus" is not present in the executables of the routes. Any computer professionals out there (Vince?) have understanding of this situation?

Regards,

Dave

Default I think McAfee is Garbage!

In the 14 years that I have been repairing computers and eliminating viruses contained thereon, I have found that both McAfee and Norton A/V programs are HIGHLY systemic. They use a huge amount of system resources (up to 30%) and most often they decide what you can and cannot do with your computer (probably their attempt to make home computing "idiot-proof"). It can take up to 15 minutes to uninstall Norton Internet Security, for example (truly an indication of how systemic it really is).

I recently had an experience at one of our local hotels where an employee wasn't paying attention to a pop-up window relating to a bona-fide program update and unknowingly downloaded the McAfee Security Scanner onto their corporate server. After the piggyback installed on the server, it decided to clamp down on the entire intranet (their internal corporate network), forbidding communication in either direction. Needless to say, it shut down the hotel's restaurant and front desk systems. Once I removed the McAfee Security Scanner, everything returned to normal.

While I understand that others have had different (and perhaps more favorable) experiences with McAfee and Norton, my experience has been that their marketing is excellent, but their programs are garbage! Please note that I am merely sharing my experience. The expression of these views is based on my personal experience and is not intended to strike a debate on the pros and cons of the multitude of A/V programs out there.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your problems disappeared by removing McAfee altogether and installing an A/V program that isn't so horribly invasive. Personally, I use AVG, although there are also some other good A/V programs out there that won't take over your computer.
    RoadMaster259
    "I love steel thunder"
    Blogspot: https://rockymountainsimulations.blo...mulations.html

Disable your anti-virus program before installing anything from Streamlines.

http://www.streamlines.ca/news2007.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ken.plaza.9"]My Facebook Page
    [/URL][URL="http://jeffreywimberly.proboards.com/"]Rails of the World Forum
    [/URL][URL="http://frankoburns.proboards.com/"]Mophouse-MLTDownloads Froum[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMaster259 View Post
    In the 14 years that I have been repairing computers and eliminating viruses contained thereon, I have found that both McAfee and Norton A/V programs are HIGHLY systemic. They use a huge amount of system resources (up to 30%) and most often they decide what you can and cannot do with your computer (probably their attempt to make home computing "idiot-proof"). It can take up to 15 minutes to uninstall Norton Internet Security, for example (truly an indication of how systemic it really is).

I recently had an experience at one of our local hotels where an employee wasn't paying attention to a pop-up window relating to a bona-fide program update and unknowingly downloaded the McAfee Security Scanner onto their corporate server. After the piggyback installed on the server, it decided to clamp down on the entire intranet (their internal corporate network), forbidding communication in either direction. Needless to say, it shut down the hotel's restaurant and front desk systems. Once I removed the McAfee Security Scanner, everything returned to normal.

While I understand that others have had different (and perhaps more favorable) experiences with McAfee and Norton, my experience has been that their marketing is excellent, but their programs are garbage! Please note that I am merely sharing my experience. The expression of these views is based on my personal experience and is not intended to strike a debate on the pros and cons of the multitude of A/V programs out there.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your problems disappeared by removing McAfee altogether and installing an A/V program that isn't so horribly invasive. Personally, I use AVG, although there are also some other good A/V programs out there that won't take over your computer.
    Roadmaster, thank you for your dispassionate and professional appraisal. These sorts of decisions are important yet it is so difficult to find someone who can present a thesis without going into a juvenile "this is just a piece of crap" tirade.

In point of fact, I have McAfee because the institution I work for provides it for free to its employees and their home computers. Since I have to reload the OS anyway to update my Seligman route (which really isn't a big deal, I've got a partition on the hard drive with the O/S in its original, pristine state) I might just as well make a clean start and use another, less intrusive AV suite, and I've already begun reading up on the various "What's the best freeware AV software out there" web sites.

So thank you!

Cheers,

Dave

I also have the same problem executing the update. Wondering if you have found a solution? Thanks..