Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSTS & Monitor Scaling

Default MSTS & Monitor Scaling

Hey all.

So my Dell 2005FPW flat-panel monitor died yesterday. This leaves me with a Dell G2410 as my only monitor, however it does not support scaling (either directly or through the nVidia Control Panel for my 8800GTX) so when running MSTS the display is stretched wide, giving a very distorted view.

When I bought the G2410 it didn't occur to me to check whether scaling was supported - I thought all monitors were capable of this. It turns out that for Dell at least, the majority of their monitors cannot do scaling. Here's a list from their support forum:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19300595.aspx

So I'm stuck, but I'm wondering, I can't be the only person here that's run into this. Do you all happen to have monitors that can display MSTS without distortion?

Regards,

Rob.

(Posted here as this is not a PC tech support question - I understand the technical side of this issue. I'm wondering whether the average MSTS user has run into this.)

G,Day Rob, there is a statement you can put in the shortcut to make windows run in window mode I think that would then run in correct aspect, Use the command line -vm:w.
    So your target line in the short cut properties would be something like this:-
    "M:\MSTS test install\Train Simulator\launcher.exe" -vm:w OR
    "M:\MSTS test install\Train Simulator\train.exe" -vm:w
    Hopeing this is helpful to you.
    Regards
    Barrie

Default MSTS & Monitor Scaling

Yup! I use 1024 x 768 and it looks OK. 640 x 480: 800 x 600: 1024 X 768 and 1280 x 1024 are all 4:3 aspect. Give different ones a try to see if one will look OK to you.

Regards,

Waldo

Hi Barrie.

I guess great minds think alike. I've been messing around with windows mode (and a few other things) since I posted this. Not as satisfying as full screen but at least it isn't distorted.

So I guess part of the answer is that a lot of us are using windowed mode.

Regards,

Rob.

I ran into that problem myself. It isn't great (and it means having a stretched screen when recording with Fraps or running the Raildriver), but windows mode works okay.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Good info guys. I'm in need of a new monitor myself. I don't want to run in windows mode. So if I get one that has scaling I should be alright?

Jim

1:1 scaling is what I think you want, Jim, though I wonder if it is getter rare on newer monitors as the manufacturers see less of a need to support old applications.

Regards,

Rob.

Hi

The key with MSTS and non 4:3 displays is to use the correct settings for the video driver. For an ATI card with Catalyst Control Center, in the Digital Panel setup you want to "Enable GPU Scaling" and "Maintain aspect ratio".

This allows MSTS to show in a letter-boxed 4:3 mode (either vertical or horizontal letterbox) without distortion. I think there is a similar setting for nVidia cards as well.

GaryG

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    I think there is a similar setting for nVidia cards as well.
    Depends on your monitor. I had the option show up for the 2005FPW but not for the G2410.

Regards,

Rob.

I have the same issue. Since I use RailDriver, it looks for the HUD in the corner, so going to windows mode means you cannot use RailDriver. Has anyone come with a solution for that issue?

I'll have to see if my monitor supports the commands described above, but, then I wonder if RailDriver will work with that?

Bryce