Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSTS & Monitor Scaling

Quote Originally Posted by Busdriver View Post
    I have the same issue. Since I use RailDriver, it looks for the HUD in the corner, so going to windows mode means you cannot use RailDriver. ....
    I've been running in a windowed mode for years and have no problem at all in bringing up the two F5 texts.
    Does RailDriver only look for that data in the main screen and not the window?

Bruce

G'Day All, a friend runs in window mode on wide screen, he made a frame to fit around the outside of his monitor (like a picture frame) then got some stiff black plastic and cut out the window for the game attached this to the frame. Looked quite good, just a thought.
    Regards
    Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by obo View Post
    1:1 scaling is what I think you want, Jim, though I wonder if it is getter rare on newer monitors as the manufacturers see less of a need to support old applications.

Regards,

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I'll have to do some more shopping. I think your right about the newer monitors not supporting older applications. It looks like the gear them more towards watching movies which I never do on a computer.
    Jim

I believe RailDriver is looking at the corner of the monitor or whatever proportion in it should be from the edge. As soon as you go to window mode, it is not quite in the right spot. It is then no longer "visible" to RD.

Bryce

Quote Originally Posted by obo View Post
    Hey all.

So my Dell 2005FPW flat-panel monitor died yesterday. This leaves me with a Dell G2410 as my only monitor, however it does not support scaling (either directly or through the nVidia Control Panel for my 8800GTX) so when running MSTS the display is stretched wide, giving a very distorted view.

When I bought the G2410 it didn't occur to me to check whether scaling was supported - I thought all monitors were capable of this. It turns out that for Dell at least, the majority of their monitors cannot do scaling. Here's a list from their support forum:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19300595.aspx

So I'm stuck, but I'm wondering, I can't be the only person here that's run into this. Do you all happen to have monitors that can display MSTS without distortion?

Regards,

Rob.

(Posted here as this is not a PC tech support question - I understand the technical side of this issue. I'm wondering whether the average MSTS user has run into this.)
    Rob, I don't know if this will help. But I talked to my son who has a G2410 and he can set the scaling with his nVidia 9800GT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Rob, I don't know if this will help. But I talked to my son who has a G2410 and he can set the scaling with his nVidia 9800GT.
    Jim:

Thanks for asking on my behalf and posting the screenshot, very helpful. That's the option that I've been told I should see in the Control Panel and that I don't. I have no idea why it doesn't appear for me...maybe something about the 8800GTX? Dunno.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

The one thing that has not come up is the driver version.

Please upgrade to the latest nVidia driver and the latest nVidia control panel and try again.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Rob

I tried highball's little trick a couple of weeks ago on my Dell 1720 laptop. I does work.
    I am using an 8600GT video card and Nvidia 192.xx drivers. Msts runs in 4:3 and the rest run in full screen.

Denis

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Hi Rob,

The one thing that has not come up is the driver version.

Please upgrade to the latest nVidia driver and the latest nVidia control panel and try again.

Derek
    Hi Derek.

I wasn't too far behind as it was but I updated a couple of days ago while working on this just to be sure.

Video Driver: 196.21
    Control Panel: 2.8.290.13

Regards,

Rob.

(Denis: Thanks for the info.)

I can confirm 196.34 does not resolve the issue either. I am running a VX2260WM at 1980x1080p. It scaled correctly under the Vista 32 bit GTS 8600/512 on my old system. New system is Windows 7 64 bit.
    Last edited by plainsman; 02-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.