Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moffat Sub

Default Moffat Sub

So, I'm interesting in starting work on the Moffat Sub, which is somewhat of a daunting task for me as I've yet to create a route for MSTS, RS or RW...can anyone point me in the direction of some good resources (aside from the obvious, such as the RW Youtube series, etc)? I'm interested in modeling from the Denver downtown yards and Denver Union Station to the sidings in Tabernash. I also want to model current/recent operations.

If anyone can be of help, I could certainly use it.

Thanks!

Kelland Bailey

Track diagrams for the whole D&RGW are on the site below
    http://idrgw.com/TrackCharts/DenDot1...Dot70Frame.htm
    Outside Denver they have not chnaged much since Rio Grande days as your doing the modern day route. Good luck
    Jonathan

great! thanks

I have thought of doing this, what has put me off is really holey DEM that you cannot get accurate terrain in important areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    I have thought of doing this, what has put me off is really holey DEM that you cannot get accurate terrain in important areas.
    Certainly the most daunting task is the terrain...I lived in Fraser for a couple of years and still live in a place where the route is relatively accessible to me so I was hoping to fall back on pictures and maps however making the route perfectly life-like is going to be extremely difficult...

ReDem is great for doing the route terrain quickly and with higher resolution DEM than can be used in the editor by default. You can trace the route in Google Earth, then with ReDem, determine what DEM data needs to be downloaded. Then ReDem will create terrain anywhere between 1 and 10 (depending on what you set) tiles, either side of your traced line/track.

I know I probably sound like a rep. for ReDem, but I am not, just a satisfied user!

Between being able to trace the route in google earth, and than being able to create an up to 20 tile corridor of terrain centered on your route path with ReDem, makes the terrain and track work one of the more straight foreward and "quick" processes in route building, to me anyway. Laying in all the scenery is the real daunting and time consuming task in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tro1086 View Post
    ReDem is great for doing the route terrain quickly and with higher resolution DEM than can be used in the editor by default. You can trace the route in Google Earth, then with ReDem, determine what DEM data needs to be downloaded. Then ReDem will create terrain anywhere between 1 and 10 (depending on what you set) tiles, either side of your traced line/track.

I know I probably sound like a rep. for ReDem, but I am not, just a satisfied user!

Between being able to trace the route in google earth, and than being able to create an up to 20 tile corridor of terrain centered on your route path with ReDem, makes the terrain and track work one of the more straight foreward and "quick" processes in route building, to me anyway. Laying in all the scenery is the real daunting and time consuming task in my opinion.
    I second that.

However neither ReDem or RW can heal DEM that has holes or imperfections, which seems to afflict a fair bit of the US data.

None of the programmes which can patch the holes - Microdem, Transdem or 3Dem - can save back into hgt format. Microdem will save as BIL data which can be run throgh the BIL to SRTM converter, but without fail every time I used this utility, the resultant data was full of massive towering spikes which are impossible to get rid of.

Railworks needs a built in method of cleaning up any holes in the DEM.

I didnt have a single problem with the DEM format that ReDem uses, and I DEMed a LARGE area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tro1086 View Post
    I didnt have a single problem with the DEM format that ReDem uses, and I DEMed a LARGE area.
    It all depends on where you are, in San Bernardino DEM has no holes in it but The Moffat Sub has very large holes.