Thread: Interlock/ + shaped Crossovers?

Question Interlock/ + shaped Crossovers?

Hiya... :: last entry question for the day.. honest::

I have poked about all the different routes and found different lil hidden treasures; yet I have not found in MSTS or here on the site's files area a style of track sectioning that is used in the real life route i'm trying to make in MSTS.

I've always called them cross-overs; yet i see that crossovers is very generic in MSTS and incluses X shpaes mainly. I'm looking for what Ive heard possibly called a interlock, basicly a PLUS sign shaped track section ( with or without signaling included). Does anyone know where one might find this style of track section or the proper name of it?

And again.. Thanks in Advance!

Something like these?

First one: A1tXover90d.s (Default?)
    Second: SR_1tXvr_w_90d.s (Scalerail)

[QUOTE=traindud;1572155]Something like these?[QUOTE]

YES! Err... which route area is that a default of? In mine I only have 5 and 10 degree xovers. Or is it something in an upgrade i dont have? I noticed that seems certain routes have extra little items a new route I create doesn't. Still haven't worked out the way to get them all into the new route, but know i saw someplace a tutorial on it.

If you have not already done so, download and install Xtracks, and it should include the pieces needed. Scalerail is a separate track package as well, but if you're not already using it in the route, there's no need in going into that.

Those kinds of "crossings" are called level (train) crossings, flat crossings, diamond crossings, level junctions, and probably a few other things.

A crossover is something distinctly different.

For MSTS track pieces, the key part of the filename to look for is "xover". For example, A1tXover45d.s.

Quote Originally Posted by traindud View Post
    If you have not already done so, download and install Xtracks, and it should include the pieces needed. Scalerail is a separate track package as well, but if you're not already using it in the route, there's no need in going into that.
    Ahhh... I dont have Xtracks... I shall go find it (too google!). Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by jovet View Post
    Those kinds of "crossings" are called level (train) crossings, flat crossings, diamond crossings, level junctions, and probably a few other things.

A crossover is something distinctly different.

For MSTS track pieces, the key part of the filename to look for is "xover". For example, A1tXover45d.s.
    Ahh Diamond Crossing! That term i recall... I guess I always used to call em cross overs cuz trains cross over the other tracks. hehe

Yeah I've been slowly getting in tune with the track section filenaming.

X Track has an entire series of crossovers in a large number of angles and standard spacings. Unlike just laying one track over another, the crossovers can be signal protected.

Hi Celix,

crossover is no bad term here, given the fact that the MSTS global/tsection.dat (the list of all available track shapes) calls them a1txoversth.s

Technically however, what railroad people - at least in my backyard - rather tend to call a "cross-over" is a pair of switches connecting two parallel mainline tracks, alowing traffic to cross over from e.g. the Northbound to the Southbound track.

To add to the confusion, there's also what most simply call "crossings", what should technically rather be referred to "level crossings", i.e. roads crossing the tracks at grade. They are quickly disappearing in many countries (being replaced by underpasses or overpasses for the road, i.e. short tunnels or bridges crossing under or over the tracks), especially where rail lines are upgraded for high speed service, while in other countries - like the US - there still are gazillions of unprotected or gate-protected level crossings...

A general remark: If you have already started working on your route using the default-only list of track shapes (default global/tsection.dat file), then you must adjust your route to xtracks compatibility before continuing your work.

First, the reason in a nutshell: MSTS uses unique ID numbers for each track shape. The default global/tsection.dat file just has 375 distinct track (and road) shapes, thus when you start building a route, any piece of dynamic track that you put down will be assigned an ID number starting with 376 and up. The new global/tsection.dat that you will install with xtracks ups the number of theoretically available track and road shapes to a whooping 40'000 distinct shapes. If you already began to build your route and used some dynamic tracks, trouble will start as soon as you install another piece of dynamic track, since MSTS will now have a conflict with track shape ID numbers, resulting in a corrupt track database and a total loss of your route.

The solution: To avoid the issue, the ID numbers of already laid dynamic track sections need to be updated to 40'001 and up. Two tools are available to do that for you: You may either use "Horace.exe", which is specifically designed for this task, or you use the latest version of Route Riter, navigate to the "TsUtils" tab, and chose the function to convert tsection.dat, selecting a back-up copy of the old, default global/tsection.dat as source for the old, and the newly installed global/tsection.dat as source for the new ID numbers.
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

Thanks Swissie;

Yeah.. When i got Xtracks I saw the little message of needing to update the tracks and such.. and got horrice to help fix that... Ive been able to get the tracks renumbered and all.

Thanks for the information. Eyeah... the terms used seem to get pretty technical at times in railroading itself. hehe

Thanks again for the help!