Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals

Default Fundamentals

One of the problems when placing switches in a new route is that for some reason RW creates them with diverging paths by default.

Eager to test Michael Zimmer's excellent Amtrak locos with previously downloaded passenger coaches, I had a player train start at the Barstow station in my OTTO version of the B-SB:

Had to replace this cross-over which not only diverted the player train into the path of an approaching AI train, it would have also diverted the latter onto the wrong track:

This switch had to be replaced too to prevent the player train to be diverted into a dead end:

After 3 hours of work here at last is the player train on it's way to San Bernardino, meeting the first of other AI trains on the way:

Trains are running on the right-hand tracks here for reasons I can explain if somebody is interested !

Check these switches in your default B-SB and you will see what I mean.

O t t o

Ok, I'm interested, why are they running on the right hand side?
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    So am I,

BTW: In the world editor, if you go to 2D-map, changing the switches there should change the default.
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    In the world editor, if you go to 2D-map, changing the switches there should change the default.
    That applies only to the scenario being edited and not the whole route.

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    I'm not certain what location are in Otto's screens, but FWIW, the line is left-hand running between San Bernardino and Natural Crossover only. IIRC, everywhere else, right-hand is the rule.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

We covered this before;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=286858

If you set a switch left or right, then edit anything that affects the tracks.bin file and save, whatever position the switch is in when the route is saved becomes the global default position for that switch. In the absence of an InitialSave.xml file for any scenario that switch will be in the new default position, but you can change it to a different default for that specific scenario;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=286924

Which overrules whatever default position is stored in the tracks.bin file, but just for that one scenario. When the route loads it consults the tracks.bin file, sets the switches left-right-left, then checks for an InitialSave.xml if the scenario has one, and resets right-left-right according to THAT data.

O.K., you have asked for it !

The reason why trains in my Freeroam OTTO version of the B-SB run on right-hand tracks between Oro Grande and Barstow is that the track exiting the latter's yards joins the right-hand track going toward Oro Grande.

However there was a problem. Part of the default B-SB tracks exiting the West of the Barstow yards were leading into a dead-end:

Had to relay the exit tracks to allow all player trains leaving the Barstow yards to the West to join the San Bernardino main line by default:

To avoid complicated pathing of AI trains, all of them starting at the same time from spaced out locations between Oro Grande and Barstow or at intervals from a hidden AIs storage siding North of Oro Grande, they also run on the right-hand track, keeping out of the player trains way !

However player trains out of San Bernardino use the left-hand track as do incoming multiple AI trains.

In both cases the player trains are on the track were most sidings and yards are for player trains to use for dropping off or picking up freight, without having to worry about the AI trains passing by on the other track.

For some reason the route switches tracks here, what was the left-hand track now becomes the right-hand one and vice versa:

Here is another hidden AI storage siding South of Victorville which starts it's trains at intervals once the spaced out on the tracks ones are on their way toward San Bernardino.

It took a lot of modifying junctions to make it possible for player trains to run in both directions without the need to monitor the #9-Map to make sure that switches are set properly and driving from Barstow to San-Bernardino and back is totally hands-free except for watching speeds !

Just make sure you do not cross over onto the tracks used by the AI trains, there not being any need for doing that whatsoever !

I am not interested in Standard scenarios which allow only one player train to be used and now can use some limited switching AI trains, difficult to program and boring to watch, doing the same over and over again.

I regard AI trains as animated eye-candy to give my FREEROAM scenarios a real-world feel.

I must have complete FREEDOM of what I can do in my FREEROAM scenarios, use any one of dozens of player trains, do what I like where and when I like which never gets boring !

There have been 1142 downloads of the Cajon-OTTO since February this year and hope that it's users have as much fun with it as I have !

O t t o
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I remember correctly, the reason for left hand running out of SB was to take best advantage of the grade. The flyover was to prevent backups due to using a crossover to change running.

Cajon Pass now has a third track, I can find no track plans for, Google Earth and Bing Maps showing them blurred.

Must have some interesting traffic patterns, 3 trains going in the same direction.

O t t o

Default Fundamentals

Hi Otto

look at this web site

http://www.trainmaster.ch/cajon-01.htm