Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CN Steam Engines

Default CN Steam Engines

I think everyone on the forums recognizes me as a modern diesel and rolling stock guy, but I was wondering if anyone has done or is doing a CN U1-f 4-8-2 steamer. There are not an awful lot of MSTS CN steamers around, and I like this engine. I was fooling around with Alan Norton's B&O Mountain in TSM using a basic CN type dimensional for engine and tender I got off the net, and some pictures, and am making some progress with it, but if someone else has done one, I would jump at the chance to get a working model. A better line drawing with accurate dimensions of the locomotive would be nice to have as well if I am going to continue on with it myself

This class of locomotive is the second type that I actually got a cab ride in as a kid (one of my uncles was the engineer on the CN, and another of my uncles was the fireman-my first cab ride was on a QNS&L GP-9 were my dad worked, and where I later ran trains myself). If no one else has done this I will keep plugging away at it from time to time and see how it goes. A progress shot is attached (early on yet).

Steve Callaghan
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice work so far.

Andrew

I am building the best CN network i can, and just saw your post. I was wondering of there were ANY CN steam units available? there are quite a few of the CPR...i have their nice heritage steam set, and i found some very nice CN steam era heavy coaches but so far dont have any CN steam engines to pull them..

any suggestions until you get yours done? it looks very nice...
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by callagst View Post
    A better line drawing with accurate dimensions of the locomotive would be nice to have as well if I am going to continue on with it myself

Steve Callaghan
    Steve,
    You can get a drawing of this from these resources:

Canadian National Railways 4-8-2, Mountain, Class U-1-f, Road nos. 6060-6079
    Canadian Railway Modeller, May/June 1996 page 42
    ( 4-8-2, CNR, DRAWING, STEAM, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, PROTOTYPE, CRM )

CNR 4-8-2 Class U1f
    Model Railroader Cyclopedia - Volume 1: Steam Locomotives page 185
    ( 4-8-2, CNR, DRAWING, GT, STEAM, ENGINE, LOCOMOTIVE, PROTOTYPE )

Hope this helps
    chrisvw
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thanks for the info. The DM&IR M3/M4 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone is in the MR book as well. I was looking at Allen Norton's B&O EM1 TSM file as a base model because originally, the QNS&L was supposed to start ore haul operations using borrowed DM&IR Yellowstones until the decision to go all diesel was made a year before before the end of construction in early 1954. They would have been the first large articulated steamers to have operated in Canada (talk about what ifs!).The only differences between the two Yellowstones are the cabs, the tenders, and the front pilot configuration. Baldwin built the EM1 and the M4 to the same basic specs. I have a repaint of the B&O version from the file library up and running in DM&IR livery pulling a repainted NALW Big Boy centipede tender with freightanim front air compressors on the ersatz M3. It is a good puller (135 of my 100-ton GRL IOC-QNS&L ore cars up a .4% ascending grade at 12 MPH no sweat!). I have an unredeemed gift certificate at Amazon that I think will be useful....

Steve Callaghan

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    I am building the best CN network i can, and just saw your post. I was wondering of there were ANY CN steam units available? there are quite a few of the CPR...i have their nice heritage steam set, and i found some very nice CN steam era heavy coaches but so far dont have any CN steam engines to pull them..

any suggestions until you get yours done? it looks very nice...
    Justin Meeks' H6 4-6-0 mogul in CNR colors (ex CNR currently on the Strasburg Railroad if my memory is still sound) is available in the file library (file name 460_h6g1.zip-update is 460_h611.zip). There is also an 0-6-0 steam switcher (ex GT-lettered for CNR-filename srr_31.zip). They look good pulling open-platform or closed vestibule heavyweight coaches. That's it as far as I know.

Steve Callaghan

Quote Originally Posted by callagst View Post
    I have a repaint of the B&O version from the file library up and running in DM&IR livery pulling a repainted NALW Big Boy centipede tender with freightanim front air compressors on the ersatz M3. It is a good puller (135 of my 100-ton GRL IOC-QNS&L ore cars up a .4% ascending grade at 12 MPH no sweat!).
    Steve Callaghan
    Steve,
    Glad you're enjoying the EM-1. I have an upgrade to the model in the works - shape file, texturing and more accurate physics!
    chrisvw
    Last edited by longiron; 03-22-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

wow that is a nice model so far! i am so glad to see someone else who wants to see more Canadian National steam locos in msts. as soon as the u-1-f is made avaliable i am definately going to get one. and if you decide to continue to build more classes of Canadian national steam locos i am about a half an hour drive from CN u-2-g 4-8-4 6218 and about an hour away from 6213 of the same class so if you decide to make one i can easily get refrence pics. CN 6060 replaced 6218 in excoursion service in 1971 when she was retired after 7 years of excoursions.

p.s. i am really stoked about this model. and i know my spelling is really bad.
    Last edited by trainboy6218; 03-24-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Default Progress Update...

When you do a steam locomotive, you tackle two separate projects, the locomotive and the tender. This will be my first publicly available steamer, and since it is operated by the Alberta Railway Historical Society in steam excursion service, I want to get it right. In this case, there is no useable subsitute for the CN oil-fired Vanderbilt with Commonwealth trucks that I need so I have to do it as well. I am awaiting the MR book from Amazon to be sure of accurate dimensions before completing this because the whole thing is still too iffy for my liking. This will be my last post until I am ready to go beta with it. While I am packing the house for my upcoming move, I may not have much time to work on it short term, but it will get done eventually. Update shots attached.

Steve Callaghan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coming along nicely Steve.

Paul :-)