Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railworks Challenger problems...

Thumbs down Railworks Challenger problems...

has anyone else experienced a lack of pulling power from the Challenger ? With just 20 cars it can't get up a 2.4% grade which is really not correct. Is there a patch and who developed the parameters for this model ?

Regards
    Jib01

I want to thank all the developers and
    addon people for the work they do.
    I appreciate your efforts. Great Work !!!

Challenger pulls fine. She's a beast! I've pulled 50 car trains on flatland with her. So 20 on an incline (if loaded) I'm guessing I could maintain at least 40mph with her.

You driving with simple controls or expert? Auto fireman or manual?

Love my Challenger! Have pulled 50 loaded cars up a 10 mile .6 grade with only some [expected] loss of speed. On the flatland it can do more than that.

But, the little buddy that comes with it..... I've yet to get that up the Alleghany grade pulling 6 wagons, lol.

I'm not a very good Steam engineer.

Tori

Question

Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    Challenger pulls fine. She's a beast! I've pulled 50 car trains on flatland with her. So 20 on an incline (if loaded) I'm guessing I could maintain at least 40mph with her.

You driving with simple controls or expert? Auto fireman or manual?
    I am using simple controls with autofireman. It should make no difference if it was programmed right.....

Regards
    jib01

I want to thank all the developers and
    addon people for the work they do.
    I appreciate your efforts. Great Work !!!

Default Challenger

I am pulling 20 loaded cement hoppers up the Palmdale cutoff at 31-31 mph on a 2.4% grade as I write this. Seems about right to me. I am using the intermediate controls so I can balance off the reverser and throttle to keep steam pressure up at 275.

Buzz
    Last edited by buzz456; 03-27-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Add facts

Default Simple throttle

I think if you punch the F5 button a couple of times so you can see what's going on that with 100% throttle the challenger soon runs out of steam. By running on at least intermediate you can run with the throttle wide open and cut the reverser back to suit you will find that the beast has bunch of giddiup and won't run out of steam. Just a suggestion.

Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by jib01 View Post
    I am using simple controls with autofireman. It should make no difference if it was programmed right.....

Regards
    jib01
    It does. Learn to fire by hand. Not that hard and makes a world of difference.

Well, I hope manual firing or something would help. I had never tried making my own scenario on the B-SB with the big 4-6-6-4 so I set up one. It wouldn't pull 50 empty boxes up the mountain out of SB. Made it a double-header.... didn't help much. Added a pusher and finally saw some improvement but I still ran out of steam 10 miles from the yard. Am in expert driving mode, being conservative and on the mainline am using 100% throttle w/50-60% setting on the cutoff.... I still ended up needing more power and running up the reverser until I ran out of steam again. And, not only can she not pull this train up the hill, she can't even hold it there with full brakes! (Is that typical?!?)

Did some reading on Steam Engine driving.... got a couple of tips and tried again w/o success. Did some reading on the Challenger.... though she was used on the mountains, she was geared for speed and was usually paired with the brute force of the 4-8-8-4 (BigBoy?) for the mountain runs. UP said it raised their top speed from 50 to 70 mph.

Having 3 of these locos on one train is inefficient (1,000,000 lbs each!) so I guess she just won't pull 50 cars on a 2.4%. The Challenger was a 5400 HP unit, although that was under ideal conditions. I was guessing that one of them would perform something like 2 SD40-2's, but I guess not. It seems more like a 1 to 1 comparison.

Let's not forget though, I am still not very good at driving a steamer. Perhaps I'll try a smaller cut of cars and hand firing later.

For Jib... yes, actually it does make a difference in Railworks what driving mode you're using. You pretty-much have to have control of the reverser in order to do much with a soot-puffer.

Happy simming!
    Tori

Default try intermediate

Tori,
    Try intermediate. Then all you have to do is monitor if you are using more steam than the engine is producing or not and change the reverser accordingly. I find the challenger usually running at 30-40 mph to have the reducer between 25 and 40 percent. Start at 100% from a stand still and reduce as soon as you get to about ten mph. It's sort of a feel thing but it's fun to learn and it works.

Steam Fan,
    Buzz

Smile

My challenger runs great! on the cajon pass route She'll reach a good 60 miles an hour with a 100 car train! i can pull that much because i increased the tractive effort(i cheated) in RSbin tool. try that with your challenger.