Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ScaleRail Freeware Edition Available

Smile ScaleRail Freeware Edition Available

Now available for download is the Freeware Edition of the ScaleRail add-on for Rail Simulator and RailWorks:

http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index...howtopic=17128

Included are mainline, branch line, spur and yard track versions with both concrete and wood ties. Basic animated switch stands are default, but a few extra types are included for those familiar with editing the track rules Blueprint.

Release notes (work in progress) should come up automatically after installation. However, if you wish to look through the documentation afterward, you can access the release notes by going to:

• Start > All Programs > 3DTrains > ScaleRail > ScaleRail Release Notes

The documentation will soon be updated, and will include more detailed info regarding the track, as well as basic tutorials on getting the most from the package. More items will be added in the coming weeks, and details regarding the commercial package will be released soon.

We hope that you enjoy using the files. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to leave a post in the forum at 3DTrains.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Well this is great news but !!!!!frustration!!!!!
    (I had just finished creating my own track.)

1. Are we allowed to distribute these with a freeware route?

2. What are the differences between this and the ones in payware ad-dons?
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

Smile

1. The files will need to be downloaded from our site. Easy enough to do, plus it keeps you from having to worry about it for your users, not to mention keeping your upload/download file size smaller. There's no restrictions on their use, provided you follow the guidelines in our license agreement.

2. The biggest difference between the two packs are that the commercial version uses higher resolution textures, and also that the tie textures vary from tie to tie along a stretch of track (current version has the same repeating tie texture for a given type). I should point out that these are a marked improvement over the versions released with Rich Garber's routes. In those, the tie plates and spikes were fully 3D, whereas in the new version the plates and spikes are part of the loft. Unless you eye-ball the spikes from a foot away, and at plane level, you would never know.

The benefit of having the plates and spikes as part of the loft is great. In an experiment, I re-created Cheyenne yard with the old track, and the FPS hovered between 18 and 25. With the new track, however, the FPS shot above 100, and actually averaged 120+ through the heavy portions (your mileage may vary). Dropping the 3D plates and spikes also got rid of an annoying bug with the tunnel portals, not to mention solving the troublesome issue of child objects when the track is set on grade. Thus I felt the track was ready for prime time as a separate add-on.

More stuff will be added, such as signals, signal gantries, yard and speed signs, fueling platforms, water plugs, etc., so stay tuned.

Signature

Default Backtracking...

I should clarify and correct my statements...

For the default freeware items, you can distribute the files and textures so long as you use your own developer folder. If for instance, you wish to re-texture the track or modify the target textures, simply create a new folder in your Assets\<developer> folder and copy the freeware files to there. Then just reskin as you see fit, modify the object Blueprints so that they reference the proper directory, and then redistribute the files along with your route, or make a separate download for others to check out. An example:

Assets
    - <your developer folder>
    ---- ScaleRail
    -------- ATSF
    ------------ Bridges
    ------------ Buffers
    ------------ etc.
    --------- SP
    ------------ Bridges
    ------------ Buffers
    ------------ etc.

---- or ----

Assets
    - <your developer folder>
    ---- SR_ATSF
    -------- Bridges
    -------- Buffers
    -------- etc.
    ----- SR_SP
    -------- Bridges
    -------- Buffers
    -------- etc.

Whichever you find easiest to keep track of. Only the Blueprints need to be edited to point to the proper folders, else the files won't load. Repaint templates, at least for the common items (track, switch targets, etc.) will be available as soon as I gather them together and upload. If you wish, texture resolutions can be enlarged when editing for better detail. If you need assistance in determining the proper color for a particular region, just drop me an email, or submit a post on the 3DTrains forum.

If you're really feeling brave, you can even rename the files or the Blueprint internal descriptors to suit. You may not, however, redistribute the files so that they occupy the 3DTrains developer directory. The only other restriction to the above is that none of the commercial files be distributed. Follow the above, and you're free to do as you please.

Signature

These will add a new dimension to the game, thanks very much Marc.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Default ScaleRail Freeware Edition Available

Great work Mark

thank you

know if someone can help me with changing globally, all the rails on my CSX Mainline route with the scale rail as a test, all in one shot

Default Commercial Version-3D/Loft?

Are the changes from 3d to loft present in the commercial version? Just to clarify.

And, thanks.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Marc,

That is excellent news! As you said, they look even better now than they did at their initial release with Rich Garber's routes. Thank you very much!!!

@ Thomas,

You can change the tracks and track rules in use on a certain route (for example) by using RW_Tools's quite powerful search and replace function, which allows you to replace entire blocks of code (text), including line breaks! You'd have to be a bit careful so you don't fry your tracks.bin file, but it can be done. Email me if you need help.

Cheers!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by tdwolf View Post
    know if someone can help me with changing globally, all the rails on my CSX Mainline route with the scale rail as a test, all in one shot
    Funny - the tracks are based on CSX, as the original images were shot on the Selkirk Branch.

It can be done - before settling on the current naming standards, I had to rid my route projects of older track, but at the same time, not have to re-lay anything. I converted the route's Tracks.bin file to XML (after backing it up and placing it in a safe place), and then did a search and replace on the track rules. I then did a search and replace for the new to replace the old file names, and finally converted the XML back to BIN. It's really not that hard, but if you need assistance, drop me a note.

Are the changes from 3d to loft present in the commercial version? Just to clarify.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean...Between what Rich has in his routes and the freeware version, or between our commercial and freeware packages? If the former, you'll hardly notice the change, except improved performance. If the latter, the biggest difference is the texture resolution and varying ties along a track's path (currently a one-tie repeating pattern every 0.5m vs 8 ties per 4m section). This keeps resolution to a reasonable level. However, I may update later using a reduced version of the larger tie images, as I'm playing through different scenarios on how a user might want to customize their installs, and I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

This weekend, I'll be working on finishing up the automatic switch machines and tweaking some textures. The ones in the package now are based on older US&S models found along the PRR (still unfinished), but I'll be adding the Alstom GM4000A switch motors probably as early as next week. Then it's time for Pandrol e-Clips and Canadian switch stands...

Signature

Default ScaleRail Freeware Edition Available

thanks

I am not going to do it just yet

will work with it later

my test bed will be with my route named CSX Mainline

If i have any questions i will shot you a message