Thread: Scenarios empty, System Crashing

Default Scenarios empty, System Crashing

Every time I start up a route and scenario (I'm speaking of only default or DLC routes and scenarios), either during the startup of the route or shortly after, the sim crashes with a "something bad has happened..." error.

I have performed the Steam file check with no errors, several times. When I checked the default routes with RW_Tools I found that some of the listed scenarios no longer had scenario information files, in fact the folder was empty. These folders did not get refilled when I did the Steam file check. I deleted these empty scenario folders. Still the same problem. I notice that there is very high memory usage, more than 3 gigabytes (out of 8), which is quite a bit higher than normal. I am also noticing that only in Railworks, my mouse is slow and jumpy and often non-responsive.

My own route that is in development, which still has no engines or rolling stock, is loading OK, or at least not crashing. Most routes fail in both free roam and regular scenario startup, during the load. A few routes, Castle Rock is typical, gets up to the opening screen but then you can't select an engine, you can barely move the mouse, and eventually you have a crash.

I have run the Logmate file, and have done dump files. The Log file is showing many errors, but no clear pointers as to exactly what is wrong that would be causing the errors. I am attaching the log file for anyone who would be willing to assist. I will send them also to RS.com.
    I am also going to take RSDLAdam's advice in another message and make a complete backup and reload the default sim from Steam to see what happens, but if that works I see that as a bandaid solution to a problem that hasn't yet been defined and understood. Without that understanding, the same fault will inevitably occur again.

FYI, my system is an Intel Quad processor, using Vista 64, with an 8800GT GPU with 512 mb and latest drivers, and 8 GB of system RAM. The system is working perfectly with all other applications, including several very memory and graphic intensive CAD and graphics programs.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

Doug
    Attached Files Attached Files

Physx install corrupted maybe? I have no idea. Sorry.
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

I say PhysX also. Go to the Railworks/Install folder and run the physx installer again. It is called PhysX_6.10.25_SystemSoftware.exe on my system. You may have recently updated your nVidia drvers and a new or different PhysX driver may have gotten installed.
    Bob Artim
    Owner of Railworks America
    6th gen i7 [email protected] - 16 gig ram - nVidia 970 with 4 gig - 5Tb of HDDs - Water cooled - Win 10 - Dual Samsung S24D390 HD monitors

Having looked at your logmate o/p, I'd go for PhysX also.

Andy

Default PhysX was the answer!

Hi folks,

I reinstalled PhysX using the installer in the Install folder of Railworks and the problem was solved. Don't have any idea how the original install of PhysX failed, but this was the solution. I checked my nVidia control panel and found that it had been corrupted also, so I suspect that these events were related. I installed the latest nVidia drivers, made sure that PhysX was activated in the nVidia control panel, and all seems back to normal.

I had done a complete railworks backup before messing with anything, and did a complete new install of railworks in its place. After making sure everything was working OK, I renamed the this default install as "Railworks Default", which will give me a good reference file to look at when trying to decode what is default and what isn't. I then renamed my backup to "Railworks" and now all my 3rd party routes as well as my own inventions are back to normal operating mode and working great.

I want to thank all of you for your advice, which as usual was accurate and extremely helpful. Couldn't have done it without you.

All the best,

Doug

Default PhysX + ATI

I know I'm getting a bit off topic here, but with all this talk about PhsyX, I am wondering it it affects users with an ATI card instead of Nvidia. Is PhysX even required at all to play RW with an ATI graphics card?

Rich

I think I read somewhere that it runs as a software emulation if no suitable NVidia graphics card is installed. (Not all Nvidia graphics cards can run it onboard).

Andy

Smile

Railworks seems to be looking for the PhysX process that is installed when you first install the sim (or reinstall from the "install" folder). When I turn off the nVidia PhysX function on my graphics card it doesn't seem to make a difference. It "seems" that the nVidia process is independent of the Railworks PhysX process. Obviously, from my current experience, when the Railsim PhysX module is not activated, the sim will not run properly, even if the nVidia process is active. Without the PhysX module, you can build and edit a route, but you cannot run any routes or scenarios (free roam included) that include engines or rolling stock, which apparently is where PhysX is used. There may be more to this, but this is my understanding as of today.

By the way, I never did find out why all those default scenario folders were empty and why they weren't refilled by Steam when I reloaded the sim. Could Railsim have changed the folder names at some point during an update and the old folders got left behind by mistake? I don't see any missing scenarios, so that is my best guess. Good thing I like the challenge of solving puzzles.....

Doug
    Last edited by madoke; 04-12-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added addtional info

Quote Originally Posted by madoke View Post
    Railworks seems to be looking for the PhysX process that is installed when you first install the sim (or reinstall from the "install" folder). When I turn off the nVidia PhysX function on my graphics card it doesn't seem to make a difference. It "seems" that the nVidia process is independent of the Railworks PhysX process. Obviously, from my current experience, when the Railsim PhysX module is not activated, the sim will not run properly, even if the nVidia process is active. Without the PhysX module, you can build and edit a route, but you cannot run any routes or scenarios (free roam included) that include engines or rolling stock, which apparently is where PhysX is used. There may be more to this, but this is my understanding as of today.
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusRocker View Post
    I think I read somewhere that it runs as a software emulation if no suitable NVidia graphics card is installed. (Not all Nvidia graphics cards can run it onboard).

Andy

Judging by what you two have said, PhysX is required to play RW, even though my video card (ATI) doesn't support it. So, if I were to uninstall PhysX, I'd be screwed, right?

Rich

Doug,
    If all appears normal filewise, then a "Clear the Cache" usually helps. I'm sure you've tried this already but, I can't think of another fix right now.

Andy