Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Loose" Consist

Default "Loose" Consist

Just to make sure I'm doing this right, a consist without an engine will go no where, hence a loose consist. I'm trying to make stationary cars in the yards.

A loose consist is one that is placed anywhere along the route and does not have a path to run on. The loose consist can be car/s, engine/s or a combination of both.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I knew that, but how do you keep the consist stationary? This would be a problem with engines especially.

Loose consists are stationary. Adding an engine it will still be stationary. Loose consists are like scenery items. With out a path they go nowhere.

Jim

Is it possible to have to many loose consist?

Yes, it seems to be a function of memory size.

What's happening is that while the activity loads up, it suddenly crashes. I have ran the Activity Start Check. As for memory, I would be surprised on the computer I'm running. But what would be the max limit?

There is no fixed number for the answer to your question. It depends on how big and complex the route is and how many loose consists are in any one area of the route. Where in the progress of the bar at the bottom of the screen does the load process stop?

As far as memory is concerned, MSTS will not use all of 2GB of physical memory.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

It closes when the bar is a 1/3rd of the way loaded.

The first week i had MSTS, I downloaded Vince's NECV4, a boatload of cars and engines, and filled every single siding, spur, yard track with engines and cars.
    Well by golly, the route wouldn't run!
    Lots of high poly loose consists - loaded in the sim, it's not just a computer limitation, but a MSTS limitation that will kill your fun - especially if you throw a few AI trains in the mix!

Add loose consists to a few sidings here and there, and on just a few yard tracks. See how the sim runs. Add an AI train. See how the sim runs. See where I am going here? Start small, add, observe stability, and add/subtract from there.

Searching the files library will also yield some low poly cars, specifically designed to use as scenery, like loose or static consists. I use them in the background, and use regular cars close up to the player track. Nice mix, nice performance.

Also, it depends on whether your loose consists are just for "scenery", or for being picked up on a player train. Again, a balance...

Experiment, starting light, then adding until you feel your own systems max is being reached.

Neil