Thread: Textures make all the difference

Default Textures make all the difference

As you can see here, ugly aren't they?

Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

yes they do and I only just realized this with the locomotive I am reskining now. nice work on those buildings btw
    Josh

Default Textures

I've found that textures are 3/4 + 10 of the battle in making assets. If you've got good textures to begin with, you don't have to throw as many detail-polygons at a static model and still come out with something believable.

My wife gets frustrated with me at times because I insist on bringing a camera everywhere I go, and i'm constantly taking pictures of walls, windows, roof-coverings, doors, concrete, etc! Pictures from the Net help, but they can't beat a first person photo where you can control exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by saxmusickman View Post
    I've found that textures are 3/4 + 10 of the battle in making assets. If you've got good textures to begin with, you don't have to throw as many detail-polygons at a static model and still come out with something believable.

My wife gets frustrated with me at times because I insist on bringing a camera everywhere I go, and i'm constantly taking pictures of walls, windows, roof-coverings, doors, concrete, etc! Pictures from the Net help, but they can't beat a first person photo where you can control exposure.
    No idea if you saw this or not but this was posted on RSC's twitter today. I never knew it existed myself

An ever growing selection of images for users to create textures from. No restrictions apply: http://bit.ly/aim5lw del 2:42 PM May 2nd via web

Quote Originally Posted by saxmusickman View Post
    Yeah, I have discovered that too, and with the pictures I found someone to back my theory. If only someone who was good at textures would help. *Cough* styckx *Cough* Man I'm coming down with something.
    Quote Originally Posted by styckx View Post
    No idea if you saw this or not but this was posted on RSC's twitter today. I never knew it existed myself
    Yeah I saw that, it seems like a pretty good idea, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

I am just a pure user of the assets produced by those with talent. I appreciate the time spent on good texturing. Thanks. I also appreciate the time spent just getting the model correct. Again thanks. The shame is when someone spends time detailing a model and just paints it with bright solid colors. These assets simply do not look good to me. RW has strong visual appeal and this makes doing good texturing very important if the asset is to "fit" into a scene. An example might be a well modeled truck that is simply painted with a bright red. Alone it looks ok but in a scene it just does not "fit in".

There is an older train simulator that suffers from this. A long time ago when it was started the graphics on a PC were not very good. The objects sort of became icons that acted like a sign that said car, house, tree, etc. They barely looked real. A lot of that older stuff is still available and really looks bad in a modern setting.

So, thanks again, to all, for the assets that really are based on art as well as shape.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    If only someone who was good at textures would help. *Cough* styckx *Cough* Man I'm coming down with something.
    I've never attempted to texture something that requires some actual.. Texture to it. I'd be willing to try it. Big difference is, taking a baked texture of a locomotive, it's a pain at times, but not difficult to toss on some texture and blend, cut and paste for weathering effects. I've used everything from leaking roof textures and in one case a picture of snow to texture an engine.

With a house, I would imagine much more skill is involved, not only finding the right textures, but finding the right textures that on average have to match on 4 different sides and actually represent an object instead of some dirt blended into paint.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    The shame is when someone spends time detailing a model and just paints it with bright solid colors. These assets simply do not look good to me. RW has strong visual appeal and this makes doing good texturing very important if the asset is to "fit" into a scene. An example might be a well modeled truck that is simply painted with a bright red. Alone it looks ok but in a scene it just does not "fit in".
    I agree also. There are a few of those assets floating around and I usually end up editing and removing them a lot of the times from routes. Driving along a beautiful route then one of those pops into the scene and it's like South Park hijacked your view.