Thread: Possible FAQ?

Default Possible FAQ?

First!!

Seriously, though, I imagine that questions will flood in at a rapid pace. Some of them may be frequently asked, such as "When will there be another public release" or "Can the program run Trainz/RW equipment". Perhaps someone from the project could post an FAQ.

Just a suggestion...
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Yes, there will be a FAQ, yes, there will be another public demo released, no, there isn't anything in the works for Open Rails to read anything from RW or Tranz and I rather doubt that will change, and yes, somebody from the project (me) has posted these answers.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

mnjrr Guest

Default Faq

Hi Nick,

For the time being, until the team has developed an even more comprehensive version, there is a FAQ about Open Rails at http://openrails.org/faq.htm.

Quote Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
    First!!

Seriously, though, I imagine that questions will flood in at a rapid pace. Some of them may be frequently asked, such as "When will there be another public release" or "Can the program run Trainz/RW equipment". Perhaps someone from the project could post an FAQ.

Just a suggestion...
    Yeah, I don't think that they would do Trainz equipment, partially because of the difference in file structure, and because, unlike the MSTS franchise, Trainz is still alive and well!

I would like to ask, "will OR have its own route builder" and if it will, "Will the editor be easier to use and less error prone?"

Here's one. How do I go about learning more of C#? I downloaded it and have looked up a few tutorials, but I'm looking for someone who can show me via something like Teamviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFfan View Post
    Here's one. How do I go about learning more of C#? I downloaded it and have looked up a few tutorials, but I'm looking for someone who can show me via something like Teamviewer.
    There's a ton of tutorials for C# from MSFT.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...36(VS.71).aspx

Also searching on the web for "tutorials for C#" will yield lots of different types and levels of expertise.
    chrisvw
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Anyone got a guesstimate on when it will be finished?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Anyone got a guesstimate on when it will be finished?
    Jim,
    A good way to think about Open Rails project is as a continuously evolving trainsim platform being developed in two phases:

- Phase One is to duplicate (not replicate) the in-game functionality of MSTS and other trainsims. What that means is ORTS will provide headlights or smoke effects for trains, but not necessarily duplicate the visual and technical way MSTS does it. The ORTS software may read the smoke and physics data from the ENG file, but use brand new code and process to display it.

- Phase Two is where ORTS and MSTS diverge. Development of next generation tools that will allow for ORTS specific content - like a Trains, Route Editor, 3D Cabs, Multi-Player, 3rd party plug-ins, etc. Here's where capabilities beyond MSTS and other trainsims get introduced. But this isn't something that will happen in the short term.

BTW, there might be some Phase Two stuff that gets done before Phase One stuff in fully baked. It's all about the interest and desires of the Open Rails volunteer programmers.

The long term objective is for ORTS to be open to continuous improvement from the community around whatever areas it believes is important. For example, if someone has a better idea to implement their desires around signaling, then they can develop a plug-in for that functionality and share it with the community. Or, if a community member has a exciting weather or environment, then they can share it, too.

It's an exciting future, IMHO.
    chrisvw
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."