Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More in line with modeling and less with skinning.

Default More in line with modeling and less with skinning.

Anybody got any good links they want to share that have extremely technical information regarding rolling stock?

For all my newness to this hobby and the like, I don't know if I'm using the proper search paramaters both in the forums and internet searches.

I'm looking for primarily steam era ... 1800s. I already have the model railroading book about steam locomotives, so I got some information but probably not enough for my own good. I would like to see both locos and cars of all types and services ...

I appreciate all the links: Thanks!
    Last edited by Snuffy; 05-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Last edited by kin__3; 05-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.

you might also want to try Google books

If you haven't have much experience with a 3D modeling program, you might want to get used to it first. Also, try setting up a loco that's very simple, boxes and cylinders, and try to get it in-game first.
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

IMHO, the best reference to 19th century equipment would be found in the pages of Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette (NGSG). You may be able to track down what you're looking for on the MMR Index site in NGSG or another magazine:

http://index.mrmag.com/

Go to the Search... "By Keyword", and then enter something useful (example: 4-4-0 DRAWING, 4-8-2 ATSF DRAWING, etc.). You can narrow things down by selecting a particular magazine, as well as sort the entries ascending or descending dates and/or magazines. Use the search results and see if any of these sites have what you're looking for: eBay or Railpub.com.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    If you haven't have much experience with a 3D modeling program, you might want to get used to it first. Also, try setting up a loco that's very simple, boxes and cylinders, and try to get it in-game first.
    Yes you're probably right Alex ... but I like a lot of pain.

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Yes you're probably right Alex ... but I like a lot of pain.

LOL!
    Then your going to be in a world of hurt.

Hurt me hurt me .. make me write bad checks!

Building any one model in CAD isn't going to be the problem. I do CAD all day long and most of the time with my eyes closed. Getting the bulk of something imported into 3DC shouldn't be a problem as I have been finding out with some lesser models. (Even though I still haven't gotten one in RW yet. But I am working out the kinks.)

I enjoy a good challenge, which is probably also why after only owning RW for less than 3 days I decided to take up route building ... I'm learning as I go but the route is making progress.

In making rolling stock, building the model is the easiest part!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    In making rolling stock, building the model is the easiest part!
    I'm not arguing with you ... in fact I agree ... but unless someone decides to take on the challenge of building rolling stock for RW in the Early Americana steam setting then we may never have that type of stock any time soon, as I see the majority of folks here more enthralled with modern or near modern stock.