Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I can't seem to install it on 7, anyone else have that problem?

Yes, I'm new to Trainsim.. I've not been able to install on 7 as well. Any advice/help is appreciated.

Which version of RRT?

If it's the original (DOS version), true, it won't run in Windows 7. It won't even run in Windows XP or with DOS 5 in Virtual PC (clock's too fast, I think). Get DOSBox, install that, then run RRT (original) in it - works like a charm! And frankly as much or more fun to play than the later versions -- the very basic eye candy makes it easier to concentrate on the game itself rather than watching the pictures.

For the others ... most aren't designed for NT-based operating systems, but you CAN run them. Follow the instructions given elsewhere for installing MSTS in Windows 7 for installing RRT. I've done Rollercoaster Tycoon original (Win3.1 era) and 2 (Win95 era) that way, using a program folder in the c: root rather than one of the Program Files directories, and both work better in 7 than they did in XP. I'd expect the later versions of RRT to work much the same. Follow the directions for installing MSTS and most likely later RRT will work. Make SURE the game-save directory is read-write and has permissions allowing all access to everybody!

Edit: I have Windows 7 32-bit. YMMV if you have 64-bit.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 01-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Again, I have Win7 (Pro) 32bit. May not work the same in 64 bit, though I was able to get Majesty Gold (Win98/ME/2K vintage) to run in my daughter's laptop with 64 bit Home Premium using similar procedures. I installed RT2-Next Millenium (which claims to be compatible with NT4 so that might be something to look for) in its own directory at the C: root, made sure all the permissions were set per the tutorial with particular attention to the saves directory, and it starts and runs the tutorial fine. Was a little too quick-responding at first, but pulling the game speed slider down to 1 or 2 helps.

Could part of the issue be DirectX? Speculating here. DirectX 11 that comes with Win7, according to MS anyway, isn't backward compatible to the degree earlier versions were. So I added DX 9.0c which can be done in parallel with 11; DX9 is backward compatible. Perhaps having that installed makes the older games work?

now why don't you use win8.
    Relax life with Friv and Friv Games.

Yes, I'm new to Trainsim.. I've not been able to install on win7 as well. help is appreciated.
    I like play friv 2 games in the free time.

Just for future information, here's how I did it. I installed it on an XP machine, then copied the files to a USB drive, and copied the files into the Windows 7 machine. Worked like a charm.

You might find some helpful information at this site http://www.hawkdawg.com/ , in the forum.