Thread: Rail SImulator vs. Railworks

Question Rail SImulator vs. Railworks

hello i am either going to buy Rail Simulator or Railworks. which is better? because rail sim. is 20$ cheaper. is Rail Simulator buggy?>?? thx!

Opinions vary, but in my opinion you're better off with Railworks. Railworks comes with more routes, scenery, and trainsets, all the free downloads for rail simulator will work in railworks, but many of the new downloads for railworks will not run in rail simulator. Railworks requires a STEAM launcher, so those who object to STEAM will prefer rail simulator, only problem with that is rail simulator isn't going anywhere.

ok thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Railworks requires a STEAM launcher, so those who object to STEAM will prefer rail simulator, only problem with that is rail simulator isn't going anywhere.
    If STEAM's website goes down for whatever reason then, will that stop you from playing RW ?? If so, then I'd rather have the Rail Simulator disc, at least you have it for life, with no reliance on any 3rd party involvement.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

No, you're probably thinking of Ubisoft;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19078...en_foiled.html

Where any save game is stored on there server and you can't play at all unless you're connected.

I don't really like STEAM, but for me it's more of a minor irritation than a major problem, the reason I mentioned it is because I know some people absolutely hate STEAM. The way it works now;

Double click on the icon, wait a minute or two (I got a slow DSL connection) and you get the latest sales pitch. Exiting the game, I unplug the modem and restart;

Click the "START IN OFFLINE MODE";

And the launcher window opens without the advertising.

So what's the advantage? Unlike non STEAM games like MSTS or railsim, if you have corrupted files (or download something from some idiot who overwrites your default files without warning you) instead of having to reinstall the entire game and then install all the patches again, you just click "Verify integrity of game cache". STEAM examines the Railworks files, compares with the current files they have, and restores the game to the state of the latest patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.8 KB, 230 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (9.3 KB, 228 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (25.4 KB, 227 views)

If you must have a physical disc, you can go to rail simulator's web-site and purchace the railworks game on disk.

Doesn't really matter, either the download version or the DVD you have to set up a STEAM account and activate it.

Interesting thing, I bought Half Life 2 and activated it, played for a few months and deleted it. Five years later I had moved to a different state, bought a new computer with a different OS, had a different ISP and email address, and when I went to activate Railworks I found that my old STEAM account was still there and had no problems even after five years of inactivity. So much for worries about STEAM losing stuff. I no longer had the original Half Life 2 disk, but out of curiosity I tried downloading Half Life 2, worked fine since they still had me registered as a Half Life 2 owner.

Thanks for your help Sniper, I think a lot of folks would rather not have an account with Steam really, if anything goes wrong with them, then, you'll have problems playing your game in the future.....
    I purchased a few Trainz discs in the past and even though I don't have all of them currently installed on my PC, I could get any one of them up and running today without the need of any 3rd party involvement, I wish it was the same with RailSim/RailWorks.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Hee-hee, my initial thought was "none of the above" since neither program has what I want from a train simulator. STEAM is an enigma, when it was first announced that RW would be a STEAM game someone estimated they were going to lose 40% of their potential customers, dunno where he got that figure from. Advantages and disadvantages to everything, sometimes I think marketing experts use an Ouija board to make these decisions.