Thread: Open Rails Video

Default Open Rails Video

Here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDomUViKPlE
    you can watch at a HD video showing a tramway route by Franco Caruso. I find the OR feature of running at full display resolution very impressive. On the video also some small problems of OR in showing some objects at the correct height appear, but that's really a minor issue that I am sure the OR people will solve.

Carlo

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

Why is the pivot point of that tram like that? It don't look right.
    Edwin

Looks like a parenting problem with that tram.

The body is attached to the rear bogie and swings out on curves.

The video is from OR V128, before we fixed the positioning of articulated train cars (ones that share bogis with adjacent cars); the OR V360 release on Friday should not have this problem.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team

Default Video of OR-specific activity

I have created an OR-specific activity, that is an activity that wouldn't run correctly on MSTS. For example, it uses OR feature allowing AI engines to uncouple from their wagons.
    I selected the Italian route Florence-Pisa/Siena, first because it has his own catenary, that therefore can be seen also under OR, and second because it is a very realistic route. I implemented some traffic and shunting in Firenze SMN (Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Florence's main station). This is a demonstration that it is already possible to build activities with traffic under OR.
    Here the link on the Youtube video (also HD version available): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkKD8C5ldi0

Carlo
    Last edited by csantucci; 09-29-2010 at 02:47 AM.

mnjrr Guest

Hi Carlo,

I enjoyed watching your wonderful video.

Would you be interested in writing a tutorial on how to create OR specific activities to share your knowledge with other users?
    Last edited by mnjrr; 09-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Carlo, you might be waking up an old interest in activity creation... Very nicely done.

GaryG

Walter and Gary, thank you for appreciation.
    Walter, I feel that my OR Activity building knowledge is not sufficient to write a tutorial. However I will write here what decisions I took and what experience I had.
    The absence of signalling on OR let me foresee problems in managing train meets in single-track lines, so that I opted for a double-track line. As compensation, the absence of signalling provided to me a plus in station shunting, because I had less signal interlocks than in MSTS.
    To create the Activity I obviously have used the MSTS Activity editor, performing exactly the same steps as I would have done for a MSTS activity.
    Of course the MSTS AE "VCR" can't be used to check how the activity works. For this, only OR runs may be used. If the activity is long and has to be corrected many times the time needed may be quite high; a good help is to increase (PgUp) game speed for simulation. I didn't need this, as I made a short activity. About this it has to be considered that driving a train with increased game speed can become difficult, so I would suggest OR developers to implement a command that allows the player train to run automatically, without player intervention. This would allow for quite faster and more comfortable activity testing, so that for some time a replacement of the MSTS AE could not be needed.
    A first version of the first part of the player path caused interlocks that stopped the other AI trains, while the second version worked immediately. As under MSTS, trial and error must be used for activities at this state of development of OR.
    As mentioned in another thread, I have a problem of an AI train with a reverse point at the end of a track, i.e. sometimes the train runs past the end of the track, stopping when completely out of track. But I believe to have be found that this only happens if the train is not seen by the camera at the moment he reaches the reverse point. If the camera looks at it, as a little bad boy, it behaves correctly.
    To uncouple all the wagons from the AI engine, as already mentioned in another post, I put NN (see the OR documentation) to 01.
    The fact that speed limits still don't work caused me to fiddle a bit with the AI trains' performance parameter, to get a speed that wouldn't be at the average acceptable.
    The problem that some e-locos run slowly under OR caused me some selection work to find an e-loco that wouldn't suffer of this defect.
    As other people, I found out that OR FPS decrease and maybe no more increase, if long consists enter the scene. It's nice that OR developers already have fixed that in their internal releases.
    To get the best viewing points for the video I had to run the activity more than once and mix the video grabbings I made. About this I have some request/suggestion to OR developers about camera management, to allow nicer viewing of the simulation:
    1. when the camera moves along the scene, the camera should not be allowed to go under the terrain.
    2. pressing key 4 when line side camera is active should immediately select a new viewing point, as it is under MSTS
    3. pressing key 5 when passenger view camera is active could select the passenger view of the subsequent carriage in the consist
    4. this is more difficult and less essential, but it should be also possible to move along the terrain without increasing height above terrain; this would help to move from one viewing point at man's height to another one.
    Well, that wasn't very much...

P.S.: I put also here the link to the other video, the hump yard operation one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPnCrEONu6c

Carlo
    Last edited by csantucci; 10-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.