Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Feather River Route in OpenRails

Default The Feather River Route in OpenRails

Here are some screens of the WP Zephyr on the Feather River Route taken in OpenRails. All of the screens were originally taken at 1920x1200 resolution with 8xQ SS AA/16xAF enabled.

Even with a detailed route like the Feather River the XNA game engine has no problems and seems to have a lot of head room for adding shadows and higher poly models.

Last edited by conrail1; 06-22-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Some more taken in the Canyon -

Last edited by conrail1; 06-22-2010 at 01:11 AM.

What CPU are you using?
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    What CPU are you using?
    Dave,

This first round of testing was on machine using an i7 975 (Quad core), 6GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX 480.

I just put a second gaming system together using a i7 980X (6 core) and 6GB of RAM. I also have a ATI 5870 that's going back in the i7 975 based machine with the Nvidia GTX 480 going in with the 980X.

I'm hoping that with OpenRails using up to 4 cores that with the 6 core 980X I will have 4 cores dedicated to OpenRails with the two left over for operating system processes.

Very sweet machines. Very sweet indeed.

Right now OR uses three threads. There might be another one set up for sounds but I dunno if or when. Getting those threads to spread themselves over the several cores is something I know little of, other than to say (from experience) it doesn't always happen.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Very sweet machines. Very sweet indeed.

Right now OR uses three threads. There might be another one set up for sounds but I dunno if or when. Getting those threads to spread themselves over the several cores is something I know little of, other than to say (from experience) it doesn't always happen.

I didn’t know that sound wasn’t using thread 4 yet, I just went by what was in the OpenRails documentation -

http://www.openrails.org/SoftDocs.pdf

Multi-Threaded Coding

The Open Rails software is designed from the ground up to support up to 4 CPUs, either as
    virtual or physical units. Instead of a single thread looping and updating all the elements of the
    simulation, the software uses four threads for the main functions of the software.

Thread 1 - Main Render Loop ( RenderProcess)

Thread 2 - Physics and Animation (UpdaterProcess)

Thread 3 - Shape and Texture Loading/Unloading (LoaderProcess)

Thread 4 – Sound

The RenderProcess runs in the main game thread. During its initialization, it starts two
    subsidiary threads, one of which runs the UpdaterProcess and the other the LoaderProcess. It
    is important that the UpdaterProcess stay a frame ahead of RenderProcess, preparing any
    updates to camera, sky, terrain, trains, etc. required before the scene can be properly rendered.
    If there are not sufficient compute resources for the UpdaterProcess to prepare the next frame
    for the RenderProcess, the software reduces the frame rate until it can “catch up”.
    Initial testing indicates that “stutters” are significantly reduced because the process
    (LoaderProcess) associated with loading shapes and textures when crossing tile boundaries do
    not compete with the main rendering loop (RenderProcess) for the same CPU cycles. Thread
    safety issues are handled primarily through data partitioning rather than locks or semaphores.
    Ongoing testing by the Open Rails team and the community will determine what and where the
    practical limits of the software lie. As the development team receives feedback from the
    community, improvements and better optimization of the software will contribute to better overall
    performance – potentially allowing high polygon models with densely populated routes at
    acceptable frame rates.”

I have to admit I was very skeptical about how the XNA Framework game platform would handle the tile loading with MSTS routes. I still can’t believe how completely smooth running down the track mile after mile is. Not since BVE have I seen anything close to this.

Now if Kuju had gotten this right with the RailSim/RailWorks game engine they would really have something.

Here’s some more using a different activity -

some more -

Incredible shots, frame rates from over 100 to 275, forget railworks this is the way forward. simply outstanding

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Default 3.5

Did anybody find themselves having to also install 3.5 from MS D/L site? I got 3.1 and still had errors. The read me said that it was a chance I might have to install it.