Thread: Raildriver TRS2004 - curious glitch

Default Raildriver TRS2004 - curious glitch

Copying this from my post at the Trainz forum in case someone from PIE might know something;

When I first got TRS2004 I tried it out, then installed a bunch of addons, and the speed readout on the Raildriver console quit working. All the controls worked, it just displayed 0 mph regardless of how fast the engine was going. I screwed something up and reinstalled the game, noticed after the reinstall that the speed display was working again. Copy the download files back in, now it's broken again, hee-hee! Okay, so copying a few files at a time from the backup into \World\dispatcher\downloads\ and deleting the chump files, I narrowed it down to kuid:38408:55006 which is a Dash 8 cabview by Christian Steurer. Deleted and replaced that file a few times, positively confirmed it's the one that stops all engines from sending speed info to the Raildriver console, regardless of which engine or which cabview is actually used. Dunno why just having that one file installed, even if it's not being used, should make the speed info not display on all engines. Being a little road switcher kinda guy anyway I just went ahead and deleted it.

Later, I downloaded some Alco RS2 and RS3 models by Mark Hoffman, similar problem except only his models are affected, having them installed doesn't disable the speed readout for other engines.

Question is, what exactly is the parameter in the config.txt file that sends speed info to the Raildriver console to begin with? If I knew that I could probably figure out what makes it NOT send the info, but perusing the associated enginespec files doesn't suggest anything to me.

Update on this, I got 2010 now, same trouble with certain engines, notably Alco RS1 and RS3 models. Gotta be something in the config or GS files since most engines send the speed info to the LED.

i worked on the dash 8 models and cabin scripting but i cant think of anything that might cause raildriver not to respond except that it uses a lot of functions that are custom for that cab and maybe one is broken in the later versions of TRS - IIRC we made it in TRS 2004. i dont see why it would cause any other trains to stop working for any reason though.

That's what's so strange about this glitch, it didn't stop any of the engines from working, and it didn't screw up the raildriver controls - reverser, throttle, brakes, horn, bell, all respond to movement, the only thing it doesn't do is send the speed information back to the digital LED speed readout on the raildriver console. Without that particular file installed most of the other engines I've tested do send the speed info to the raildriver console - if the engine is going 23mph, the raildriver LED says 23. The one exception is the Alco RS3 models, all but one that I tested do not send speed info to the LED, if the RS3 is going 11mph, 23mph, 42mph, whatever the LED displays 0. I only found one that worked, the Main Central RS3 1026 by Gandy Dancer (there's a name I haven't heard around here in eons), that one displays the speed on the LED correctly but when you hit 1 nothing happens - no cabview. Opening the config.txt file the reason became obvious, no interior line. So I copied the kuid for a cabview and added an interior line, got a cabview and the LED stopped working, displayed 0mph like all the others. Being a newby to Trainz possibly I screwed up something in the config.txt while editing it, only tried it once so far.

I'm still tinkering with it off and on (this kind of troubleshooting gets really tedious), one thing I tried was swapping engine specs and bogies but that had no effect on the ones that don't display speed.

That's the common one, which don't display speed, alco, ALco, and Alco RS3 are the specs and sounds, RS bogey weathered obviously is the bogey, why it lists another reskin as a dependency I dunno, last one is the cabview.

That's the one with the speed display but no cabview, Gen1960 op1 appears to be a cabview and so is RS3 undec int. Why two cabviews in the KUID table with no interior data I dunno, why two bogies I dunno, why the reference to RS3 - undec crewless dunno either.

Main reason I posted this question here is I was hoping someone from Raildriver would have an idea, where exactly DOES the raildriver LED get its speed information from in Trainz? If I knew that I'd have a better idea where to start looking, is it in the config.txt for the model, the config.txt for the cabview or the bogey, or in the engine specs?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (21.3 KB, 42 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (23.8 KB, 43 views)

It's the cabviews. Any cab interior that has a working speedometer will send the speed info to the Raildriver LED display, any cabview WITHOUT a working speedometer displays the speed on the F5 HUD in the game, but doesn't send any speed info to the Raildriver. Fix is to replace the cabview with one that has a working speedometer.