Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Screenshots of Columbia Gorge

Default Replacement Screenshots of Columbia Gorge

Here is a series of shots (28) to replace the original screenshots lost to a forum update several years ago. Theses shots all represent Phase 1 of Columbia Gorge. After 8 years, I am digging in and going at it again.

The Columbia Gorge route spans the Columbia River from Wishram, WA to Hood, WA on the north (BNSF) side of the river and from Celilo, OR to Hood River, OR on the south (UP) side of the river. There is a 2-mile stub of the Mt. Hood RR branchline extending south out of Hood River. I am currently working on extending that branch to its terminus at Parkdale, OR.

I am going to post this series of photos in increments so that I can save the post periodically. I already lost it once!

OK, here we go...a virtual tour of Columbia Gorge starting at Hood River, OR on the Oregon side and proceeding east.

The first shot show a portion of the town of Hood River

Next, we move on to The Dalles ("The" is part of the name)

The next shot shows part of the The Dalles yard and Tie Treatment Plant. This plant seems to be a local version of the Bermuda Triangle. Trains have been known to disappear in this area and show up somewhere else?? Go figure!

Just east of The Dalles, we encounter The Dalles Dam

We will see more of The Dalles Dam, Navigation Lock, and bridge from the other side of the river.

Now we move eastward and visit the Celilo/Oregon Trunk bridge. This bridge has both a lift span and a turn span. The turn span no longer rotates and is bolted/welded in place.

Continued in next message.
    Last edited by calr; 06-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Continuing our tour...
    The next shot shows the wye at the north end of the Celilo/OT bridge. Note that two legs of this wye are over water.

Now we have crossed over the bridge and have taken a side trip into Wishram, WA.

Now, we head westward and see the north side of The Dalles Dam

and The Dalles Bridge

The Hood River Bridge from the Washington Side.

Next, the HUGE lumber mill at Bingen, WA

Next, some tunnels and farmland on the Washington side.

Continued in message 3.
    Last edited by calr; 06-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.

The town of Lyle, WA

The end of the line at Hood, WA

Extra...Everyone knows what this is but I bet you've never seen one quite like this. I am not going to say where it is. You find it! Don't tell.

OK. That's the end of the tour. Hope you like it. I'll post new shots as the work progresses.

Cal Rasmussen

Looks good man
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Wow, I am impressed. Looks like a fun route to run on.

Very nice work.

Default Replacement Screenshots of Columbia Gorge

Looking really good!

harlank

This route has been Around awhile . i'm real glad someone has brought it off the shelf.. the shots are real good

Quote Originally Posted by idahostranger View Post
    This route has been Around awhile . i'm real glad someone has brought it off the shelf.. the shots are real good
    I am the someone and I am also the creator of the route. Don't know what happened to me but after too many years of inactivity, I decided to dust it off and start working on it again.

Cal Rasmussen

Default Crg

Quote Originally Posted by calr View Post
    I am the someone and I am also the creator of the route. Don't know what happened to me but after too many years of inactivity, I decided to dust it off and start working on it again.

Cal Rasmussen
    Glad your back and working on the route. I am a fan of the CRG and live in the area. Your route has some great work (dams, aluminum plant & tie yard in The Dalles) but the graphic-intensive parts of the route brought my computer to its knees. With BIN, I believe the route deserves resurrection. Looking forward to it. Welcome back Carl.

Brad