Thread: New Project Started

Default New Project Started

Hello All, again,

This time, instead of making a request, (which I know you were annoyed about) I'm starting a new route project. The route is the Hesston Steam Museum's Narrow Guage Line. I would greatly appreciate any help, especially with the modeling of buildings. I could get the reference pictures the next time I go there, and could also take some video if needed.

Thanks to anyone who helps.
    Last edited by papkee; 07-15-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Celebrating 100 Years

1908-2008

Sounds like a neat project.

Route building is definitely an art, and like all arts, you've got to get your feet wet at first. I'm going to presume that your project doesn't sound too large, so while it can get frustrating sometimes, it is still manageable.

Building a route also requires a lot of attention to detail. Do you have a plan for the steps you're going to follow to tackle the project?

Quote Originally Posted by papkee View Post
    The route is the Hesston Steam Museum's Narrow Gauge Line. I would greatly appreciate any help, especially with the modeling of buildings. I could get the reference.
    To start with make sure that you have Mike Vone's Guide to Rout Building: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/mv...MSTSguide.html

Finding anybody to create objects for your route or help you create your own will be difficult, not many having the time nor the inclination to get involved.

There already exist thousands of buildings, some of which may be what you require.

There are some narrow gauge tracks and rolling stock for but perhaps not of the type you require ?

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    To start with make sure that you have Mike Vone's Guide to Rout Building: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/mv...MSTSguide.html
    The only problem with that is that I am on a low budget (a.k.a $0), but thanks anyway as I like the looks of that guide and may use it in the future.
    Celebrating 100 Years

1908-2008

Quote Originally Posted by papkee View Post
    The only problem with that is that I am on a low budget (a.k.a $0), but thanks anyway as I like the looks of that guide and may use it in the future.
    It will help you get started and going faster, but it isn't a must have. I've never read it and I'll put my RE knowledge up next to anyone's.

Northern Virginia, United States of America

Default A word on the actual construction

From what I've seen, there are a couple different ways to model Narrow guage in MSTS, One is to just build the route with standard guage track and run standard guage models that resemble their narrow guage counterparts (One example of this is the Cumbress Pass Route) Another option is to build everything "larger than life" scaling the buildings, trackside objects, people, etc up to a scale so if your were to measure the track guage by the objects around it; the track would be narrow guage (One example of this is the Tallylyn Railway route from UKtrainsim) Or, you could build the route with X-tracks' narrow guage track peices, but this can cuase cosmetic problems if someone tries to run a standard guage engine on the narrow guage tracks (An example of this is the Durango & Silverton Route)

Any routebuilder will tell you to make back-ups, I have had a route go sour so I can tell you from expearience; routes can and do go bad so it's a very good idea to make back-ups.