Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: how do i install route?

  1. #1

    Post how do i install route?

    i've downloaded a few things for train simulator and some of them have worked but with most stuff after i download them (all as .zip) i have to extract them but im not 100% where to and it those have not worked are not on the game. so im downloading the gorge route i think its called and need help on what to do to install and use it in the game. please help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia, United States of America
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Every file should have a "Readme" file that has installation instructions, reading those can keep you from putting something were it shouldn't be and preventing it from working.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brockville, ON, CA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Hi, and Welcome to the forum.

    Best thing to do is to extract the files from the zip to a folder where you download to. That will give you a chance to open the folder and see what's there, for the very most part you will find a README file that will give you complete instructions on how and where to place the contents of the folder to get them to work.

    In some cases like rolling stock files you will find a folder in the main folder with the same name, and that will be the folder you want to copy to the Trainset folder in the Sim. If you open an activity and there is an error saying it's not able to place a car in the world, that would be the first thing to check, a folder in a folder by the same name.

    Routes may be mucj bigger but they are usually pretty easy to install, read the README for instructions but usually it's a case of copying the folder and placing it in thr Route folder of the Sim, some are even easier then that when they come with a installer you just need to double click.

    If you give the README a look and still have problems, by all means, post a question, tends to be the best way to learn.

    Paul :-)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Hi, and Welcome to the forum.

    Best thing to do is to extract the files from the zip to a folder where you download to. That will give you a chance to open the folder and see what's there, for the very most part you will find a README file that will give you complete instructions on how and where to place the contents of the folder to get them to work.

    In some cases like rolling stock files you will find a folder in the main folder with the same name, and that will be the folder you want to copy to the Trainset folder in the Sim. If you open an activity and there is an error saying it's not able to place a car in the world, that would be the first thing to check, a folder in a folder by the same name.

    Routes may be mucj bigger but they are usually pretty easy to install, read the README for instructions but usually it's a case of copying the folder and placing it in thr Route folder of the Sim, some are even easier then that when they come with a installer you just need to double click.

    If you give the README a look and still have problems, by all means, post a question, tends to be the best way to learn.

    Paul :-)
    its just downloaded the route and it automatically opens Win.RAR but i cant find the readme to it. so what now?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smicer1989 View Post
    its just downloaded the route and it automatically opens Win.RAR but i cant find the readme to it. so what now?
    Now you post details about the files you are having problems with, such as their name, and where you got them from...there are a lot of very helpful people here, but none of them are mind readers.

    I might also suggest, that if you do not know where WinZip is unzipping your files to, that you either reset it to use the folder of YOUR choice, or just use the [Right Click] "Extract all" feature of Windows, telling it to "extract" into the same folder the zip resides in.
    Steven


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brockville, ON, CA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    What route are you trying to install?

    Paul :-)

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingconrail76 View Post
    Now you post details about the files you are having problems with, such as their name, and where you got them from...there are a lot of very helpful people here, but none of them are mind readers.

    I might also suggest, that if you do not know where WinZip is unzipping your files to, that you either reset it to use the folder of YOUR choice, or just use the [Right Click] "Extract all" feature of Windows, telling it to "extract" into the same folder the zip resides in.
    i've followed the instructions in the readme file, everything seemed well but as i went into the activity editor it said cannot load "track database" so i tried route editor and the same thing happened.

    here is the instructions in the readme but it could be that i dont have the other downloads like loco's rolling stock so on and so forth.

    All six of the defaults routes must be installed.
    All default equipment (rolling stock) must be installed.

    This route uses Xtracks ver 3.10 and NewRoads 3.1.Std (Build 23) or better.

    Install instructions:

    1. Copy the drgwtp folder into your Routes folder
    2. Double click on the drgwtp folder in your routes folder (not its plus sign).
    3. Scroll down and find the installme icon.
    4. Double click on the Icon. You should see hundreds of files being copied from other routes.
    5. Open the tennpass_consists folder: Select all: Copy all selected into your
    Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trainset/Consists folder.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia, United States of America
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Download and install X-tracks (xtracks.zip) and Newroads (newroads.zip), after those are installed; the route should work fine, make sure to make a backup of your GLOBAL Folder BEFORE you install these packs.
    Last edited by fleegle411; 08-11-2010 at 05:03 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    What route are you trying to install?

    Paul :-)
    the route called tennpass

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brockville, ON, CA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Hi,

    Think this might do the trick,

    The error saying that it can't read the track data base may be because you've not opened the route yet. When routes are packaged the author usually removes some of the RAW files before packaging to reduce the size of the zip file. When you open the route the first time, MSTS regenerates the removed RAW files. Do this before doing anything else.

    Paul :-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->